• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kickstarter] Gloomhaven: Second Printing

Victim

Validated User
We just resumed our game too. Lord Business and Sochi the Ragelord once again do battle! Pretty awkward start IMO - I was not playing well - but our characters were strong enough to win an (admittedly easy) mission at +1. 3 Spears is pretty BS.

ftl

3 spears is Super BS. I don't think I lost a single scenario playing as them, and I beat their solo scenario at +3 difficulty...

It's possible they're less ridiculous using the future stamina potion rules; I found out about those only after I retired my 3spears.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
3 spears is Super BS. I don't think I lost a single scenario playing as them, and I beat their solo scenario at +3 difficulty...
It's definitely strong, but until higher Prosperity it has a big problem with spooling up at the beginning of the scenario. My build had two persistent effect cards which turned the first two turns into half turns at best.

That said, that and issue the fact that they're kind of one-note are the only low notes for 3 Spears. To add insult to injury they even get consistently good non-loss cards at level 8 and 9. Another issue is that as Prosperity climbs 3 Spears gets better and better. I just played a 3 Spears for the second time in my solo campaign that's unlocked almost all items and it's even crazier than when I played it at Prosperity 5.

I would say 3 Spears is not the most powerful class though.

Victim

Validated User
Final boss says that even on easy (+2 for us), three spears and lightning bolts are OP and need nerfs.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My new party in my solo campaign consists of Sun + Eclipse + Diviner. I'm not sure what I think of the Diviner. The cards that let you look at the top X cards of an attack modifier deck and put any number of them on the bottom of the deck are definitely good. The cards that let you look at the top X cards of a monster ability deck don't seem to be as useful. There's a solid amount of good utility cards that are good, and I'm more happy with the Teleports than I expected to be. I haven't toyed with the Rift cards or with a Curse based Diviner much yet. Generating Elements is somewhat of a pain, but cards having an "Either Consume this element or that element" is nice. It has a good Attack Modifier Deck and I've been debating picking up an Item Summon.

Victim

Validated User
We just got forgotten circles, but we had already planned out our next party so the expansion will have to wait until we finish our sun and moon party. I think we're going to try comboing diviner with tentacle face though.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
We just got forgotten circles, but we had already planned out our next party so the expansion will have to wait until we finish our sun and moon party. I think we're going to try comboing diviner with tentacle face though.
The potential theorycrafted crazy-good synergy is Diviner + Music Note + Squid Face.

Spoiler: Show
Music Note runs the Disadvantage Song, Squid Face runs the card that Curse Draws are 3 damage, and the Diviner runs the card that does one damage every time an enemy draws a negative or Null card. Then just pack in the Curses and have the Diviner Cycle the Attack Modifier Deck so that only bad cards ever show up for monsters.

Victim

Validated User
The potential theorycrafted crazy-good synergy is Diviner + Music Note + Squid Face.

Music Note runs the Disadvantage Song, Squid Face runs the card that Curse Draws are 3 damage, and the Diviner runs the card that does one damage every time an enemy draws a negative or Null card. Then just pack in the Curses and have the Diviner Cycle the Attack Modifier Deck so that only bad cards ever show up for monsters.
Yeah, Diviner clearly looked like a class that would do better with more characters, but we pretty much always duo so it doesn't matter what the best 3rd class would be. Also, we reset our class unlocks with our current game (but kept the old personal quests in the finished pile, and did some other stuff to make sure we'd see some different stuff), so we have few options - I'm unlocking Squid again with my new quest.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, Diviner clearly looked like a class that would do better with more characters, but we pretty much always duo so it doesn't matter what the best 3rd class would be. Also, we reset our class unlocks with our current game (but kept the old personal quests in the finished pile, and did some other stuff to make sure we'd see some different stuff), so we have few options - I'm unlocking Squid again with my new quest.
As cool as the combo is, I'm not sure it can deal with the hits that get through, or survive long enough until the characters are exhausted. It would also have serious potential issues with boss fights. Feels to me like it needs a meatshield. My first thought would be...

Warning, spoilers for the resolution of the contents of Envelope X.
Bladesarm. Good damage, infuses both light and dark, but doesn't use them itself, and potentially has synergies with the Squid Face.

Victim

Validated User
As cool as the combo is, I'm not sure it can deal with the hits that get through, or survive long enough until the characters are exhausted. It would also have serious potential issues with boss fights. Feels to me like it needs a meatshield. My first thought would be...

Warning, spoilers for the resolution of the contents of Envelope X.
Bladesarm. Good damage, infuses both light and dark, but doesn't use them itself, and potentially has synergies with the Squid Face.
We did Notes+Squid and it worked fine.

Do you need to solve the second cipher/translation puzzle for that? We got stuck on that.

Top Bottom