• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Kickstarter: Mimic's Grids. Good idea?

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Validated User
Note: I'm NOT shilling for the product and am looking for thoughtful input.

Stumbled across this kickstarter, Mimic's Grids, that has me scratching my head and going: Why haven't we done this before? But, I'm not sure about them. Would somebody else take a gander and tell me what they think of them? They look a tad expensive, but they should be pretty durable. What I'm really liking is the ability to draw on them with any kind of pen (dry erase, wet erase, even permanent).

Is there some other grid out there that does this same sort of stuff?

Bomberg

Validated User
At first sight it leaves a gap between "scribble your own stuff" and "put a professional looking map on it." You could probably print out a map on paper and attach it to this thing with magnets, but which printer produces 10" x 10" pages?

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
I'd be more interested in this if I hadn't literally just started crafting my own terrain and map tiles out of foam and chipboard this very week. =p

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
This reminds me of a project I backed four years ago and haven't seen rewards from called GNL Mats. GNL has had a hell of a time getting the product made to quality specifications through various manufacturers. And they've lost entire product runs due to shoddy quality.

Not to say Mimic's grids will be the same or have the same difficulties, but a Kickstarter product almost exactly like this has burned me in the past for what is basically a roleplaying accessory for which I already have plenty of solutions. I have many tiles and battlemaps for roleplaying games. I don't see the need for magnetic tiles when something like interlocking tiles, already work great for my table.

I am going to pass, thanks.

Dr. Tran

...I'm NOT a Doctor!
Validated User
My group really likes the Dungeon Tiles DeathbyDoughnut posted above and these look like Cadillac versions of those. I'd like them, but I don't know that the magnets are worth the extra cost.

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
It has been tried before but this group is having a difficult time actually delivering. (Not that they seem to be related in any way to the current group).

I am also not sure that all those magnets are good for all the electronics we bring to our game tables these days.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Validated User
Thanks so much for the voices of reason. I think I'll pass on them. I barely use the dry-erase stuff I've got.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here is my thought for why we haven't seen something like this before: they look pretty slick, but also they are pricey.

$60 USD only gets you four 10x10 grids, which is enough to cover a 200-ft to a side area (20 squares by 20 squares). It also gives you magnets, but no actual minis or terrain. That means you're going to need to put extra work in putting magnets on all your minis - and if you have one of the larger collections, that means buying hundreds more magnets and spending hours gluing them carefully to hundreds of plastic minis and terrain pieces, and if you get maps from other sources you'll need to figure out how to attach them.

By comparison, a high-quality 36x24 square dry-erase battle map costs about $25-30 USD. You have more than twice the size of mat for less than half the cost. You can just plop down terrain or even maps as you want to. A lot of them are reversible. A cheaper vinyl mat costs under $20.

I do hope this product succeeds, because it looks pretty cool, but it's definitely a luxury item.

JimSales

Validated User
I'm having trouble seeing how I would use this in a game. Specifically, what would make me grab this instead of a battle map or flip map?

Please share your ideas. I don't want to poo-poo the project as they have gone to a great deal of effort to bring this product forth but I just don't understand what need it fills better than what currently exists.

Top Bottom