• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kickstarter] Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Turelie

Maddeningly Altruistic
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spinning this off from the Pathfinder MMO thread, since the two are different games made by separate studios.

So yeah, as Crinos posted in the other thread, the Kickstarter for the Kingmaker RPG is up.

In the north lies the Stolen Lands, a region that has been contested territory for centuries. Hundreds of kingdoms have risen and fallen in these lands, and now it is time for you to make your mark—by building your own kingdom! To do so, you’ll need to survive the harsh wilderness and the threat of rival nations… as well as threats within your own court.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is based on Paizo’s award-winning Pathfinder Adventure Path of the same name. You certainly don’t need to be familiar with the story, but if you are, you will encounter characters you know and love. Either way, you will experience a host of brand-new events, companions, allies, and threats that expand and enhance the original Adventure Path. With help from Paizo and their authors, the story and quests have been expanded by RPG writer Chris Avellone and the Owlcat team, allowing for even more adventure in the already rich narrative of the Stolen Lands.

While Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a single-player game, you won’t be adventuring alone. Pathfinder: Kingmaker features a diverse cast of companions and NPCs, including iconic characters from the Pathfinder setting itself. You’ll need to decide who to trust and who to watch carefully, as each companion has an agenda, alignment, and goals that may differ from yours. Your journey will become their journey, and you’ll help shape their lives both in the moment and well into the future.
From the looks of it, the races and classes from the core rulebook will be available. The stretch goals aren't up yet, but they mention adding some archetypes for each class, as well as more races and classes from outside of the core.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
My question is are they keeping the cyclops lich. Cause that's a bit of a selling point for me.

(Okay no its not, I'm definitely getting this when it comes out).

Tango Samurai

Dance Warrior
Validated User
I like the five year time span, it harkens back to DA2 on how things can change over time.
Curious, but not sold.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
My question is are they keeping the cyclops lich. Cause that's a bit of a selling point for me.

(Okay no its not, I'm definitely getting this when it comes out).
I've been running an online Kingmaker campaign; my players just beat Vordakai.

Going to be kind of weird if we're still playing when this comes out.

Turelie

Maddeningly Altruistic
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The preview I linked in the other thread did suggest that they'd mix up how some characters from the actual adventure path are used.

Alex_P

the cat respecter
Validated User
Well, one notable improvement over PFO already: they're gonna have classes. (Why would you make a D&D-based game without classes, seriously?)

The current scenery looks pretty boring, to be honest. Though competently drawn and reasonable well laid-out.

Menchi

Validated User
I love the idea, but I feel Chris Avellone is a massively overrated author - Torment: Tides of Numenera really convinced me isometric games are dated and it ran out of narrative steam really quickly in my opinion. Lots of little bits but it felt like a big old mess of a game.

I'm worried this will end up the same.

Conan

Aliandris

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hmm, my initial gut reaction is that there's way too much focus on the PC and not enough on the Kingdom. They're taking a typical story/NPC focus and directing it all at the PC in the one campaign that isn't about the PCs.

I'll stew on it a bit and see if the stretch goals change my mind.

Edit: No, the more I read the more I don't like it. "Look, we'll have a night and day cycle! Nuanced NPCs who might betray you! Spell combos!", and I just want to yell "None of that shit has anything to do with the Kingdom! You know, the thing the game is fricking about?"

I really think they should have come at it differently - making the game about the Kingdom and fleshing it out, and then working in stretch goals for 500 feats and a bajillion monsters, not (hypothetically) the other way around.

Last edited:

Menchi

Validated User
Hmm, my initial gut reaction is that there's way too much focus on the PC and not enough on the Kingdom. They're taking a typical story/NPC focus and directing it all at the PC in the one campaign that isn't about the PCs.

I'll stew on it a bit and see if the stretch goals change my mind.

Edit: No, the more I read the more I don't like it. "Look, we'll have a night and day cycle! Nuanced NPCs who might betray you! Spell combos!", and I just want to yell "None of that shit has anything to do with the Kingdom! You know, the thing the game is fricking about?"

I really think they should have come at it differently - making the game about the Kingdom and fleshing it out, and then working in stretch goals for 500 feats and a bajillion monsters, not (hypothetically) the other way around.

Yeah - kind of a Grand Strategy game like Crusaders II/Stellaris but with RPG side quests and events to progress the story and unlock new areas and content.

That's pretty much what Kingmaker was for the most part. They're overselling the bog-standard RPG elements rather than leading with the stuff that should be making it cool.

Conan

Top Bottom