• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone.

Littleredfox

Validated User
Shadows of Brimstone

Looks to be a Deadlandsesque Steam punk old west game.

Co-op teams go down the mines and find gates to other worlds, while trying to hold back "The Darkness".

Figures seem to be about in scale with Zombicide etc.

The jump in value for Minecart levels is slightly annoying.

It also looks to me like the stretch goals are the components of a third base set.

Last edited:

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I kicked in at the Outlaw level, and barring the game being terrible am pretty happy with my pledge thus far. Lots of nice models being added daily as stretch goals are met.

They sent out an update today explaining (and apologizing for) the Mine Cart level. It looks like they largely underestimated a few things with this kickstarter, and Mine Cart runs the risk of costing them a LOT of money in the long run.

For those not following, they have two sets of stretch goal unlocks going on.

The first is the normal "We reach this goal, everyone at X and above gets them", which is standard.

The other is sets of add ons that are available for purchase at the lower tiers. But, they did a big "Mine Cart" pledge level where you got one of everything, including the add ons. They only did a limited number of those (25) and a reasonable price, and apparently didn't figure they would be that popular (I'm not certain why, they were a great bargain even before the stretch goals). When those sold out, they opened a new set of 25, and bumped the price up by $25, since they'd unlocked a bunch of stuff by that point. Sold out, and added some more at another price bump. They kept going, inclreasing the number available to 50, and the latest version is up to 450 available (with only 29 left!)

Mine Cart was initially $325. It came with the Deluxe Outlaw (Which was both their base games, and two sets of all base minis, plus all Outlaw stretch goals, and was $225), plus all the Mine Cart add-ons. The current version is up to $475. So there are complaints because early backers got it at a much, much cheaper price. Of course, at the time, they were only getting about $150 in extras. Now they're getting about $260 in extras, with more to be unlocked (Seriously, the kickstarter seems to be making 50K per day easy thus far, it's insane).

I wanted to jump on Mine Cart early, but didn't have the cash. Still don't, so no regrets there. And I'm very happy with the basic Outlaw level, to be honest. Looking really cool thus far.

agony

Validated User
Game looks interesting but the Mine Cart and 1000 add-ons that won't be bundled together at retail are annoying me. I may check it out when it hits the OLGS's.

Littleredfox

Validated User
I kicked in at the Outlaw level, and barring the game being terrible am pretty happy with my pledge thus far. Lots of nice models being added daily as stretch goals are met.
In general I agree.

But, they did a big "Mine Cart" pledge level where you got one of everything, including the add ons. They only did a limited number of those (25) and a reasonable price, and apparently didn't figure they would be that popular (I'm not certain why, they were a great bargain even before the stretch goals). When those sold out, they opened a new set of 25, and bumped the price up by $25, since they'd unlocked a bunch of stuff by that point. Sold out, and added some more at another price bump. They kept going, inclreasing the number available to 50, and the latest version is up to 450 available (with only 29 left!)
They forgot I think that people can lower pledges later and so will pledge for such and bring it up for reconsideration in the last few days.

Also they had some Idea of having the Minecart pledges be roughly equal to everything available at the time the pledge level was opened.

Which runs into causing unhappyness when all of the lower 5 or 6 levels came and went in the middle of the night for the Europeans. The 4 AM UTC start pretty much said even if you knew about it and were wanting to pledge first day you were out of luck for the cheaper prices if you lived this side of the pond.

I'm beginning to think that Reaper's Early Birds ship first is less likely to cause a backlash about fairness than early birds get an extra discount.

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Game looks interesting but the Mine Cart and 1000 add-ons that won't be bundled together at retail are annoying me. I may check it out when it hits the OLGS's.
It's possible much of this will be bundled up into a new Expansion set. Like Littleredfox said in the first post, it looks a lot like components from a 3rd set.

And yeah. They definately bungled their Mine Cart level a bit. But they've at least been upfront about it.

And Reapers Early Bird staggered shipments were very smart. They learned their lessons from their first kickstarter.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
To be frank I saw the Reaper method as being a clever solution to the logistical problems they suffered last time. Of course I'm in wave 3, so, there's that. ;) But yes, it does seem much more playful than the way mine cart was pitched.

I really, really want this game, but I'm already pushing my budget (and my wife's patience) with Kickstarters as it is. Have asked and the folk I would normally go halves with are tapped out, which is a shame since there's a hole in my life for a dungeon crawl board game.

Ralph Dula

Validated User
Huh. I saw the level with original art and after that it never occurred to me to price out whether Mine Cart was a better dollar value for me, though in my defense the add-on monsters leave me "meh."

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wish the hero models were cheaper. As it stands, the 20 hero models will run you $120, while getting the two base game level, which includes all 20 heroes, will set you back $150. I don't *mind* getting a bunch of spare tentacles and weird monsters, but I'm mainly in it for teh cowboys. And that pack mule. Gotta get that pack mule. :)

Littleredfox

Validated User
It's possible much of this will be bundled up into a new Expansion set. Like Littleredfox said in the first post, it looks a lot like components from a 3rd set.
After having played about with a spreadsheet, I'm now thinking given a reasonably achievable set of stretches Two big sets one Cynder and made out of most of the free stuff, the other Tregarria with much of the purchased add ons and one smaller add on per world consisting a Boss monster, terrain hazard and a troop

Wouldn't take much to fill those out on the plastics side (four more Hero types and another 12xmonster and another XL.boss monster or two)

That's assuming they don't squeeze some of the free goals into the relevant starters.

Balac

Validated User
The number of posts (and the amount of venom) has kept me from digging through the comments section but have they said anything about the add on stuff being available later? Some of them look pretty cool but I'm having a hard time justifying buying anything beyond the Outlaw level until I've at least tried out the game.

Top Bottom