• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Kill Team/40K] Megathread 1: Good Doggo Aximillion vs the Forces of Eww

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Sounds like a great game!

I really like Starstriders so I hope you have fun with them. I find they actually do best against Toughness 3 opponents, with 4 being OK and 5 a bit of a struggle. The ace up their sleeve is having some nice multidamage weapons lying around - Nitsch's shotgun, Prond with her tactic, and the beauty that is Grell's rotary cannon.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
To be super clear. The rumours are that the core set is discontinued. That's people around the internet saying that they emailed GW about when it would be in stock and got the reply: "Never".
Prices on the starter box certainly seem to line up with that rumor. So - without wanting to wait for several months and without wanting to pay eBay prices on the starter, what's the best way to get going?

Main book and a couple of attractive kill teams?

-Thornhammer

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Prices on the starter box certainly seem to line up with that rumor. So - without wanting to wait for several months and without wanting to pay eBay prices on the starter, what's the best way to get going?

Main book and a couple of attractive kill teams?

-Thornhammer
I'm a big fan of Rogue Trader box + Core Rules. Two 100 point (or more) teams (including Commanders and commander rules) along with terrain. The terrain is a drawn map with rules for using those so it's two dimensional. I prefer it but there are pros and cons.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
I'm a big fan of Rogue Trader box + Core Rules. Two 100 point (or more) teams (including Commanders and commander rules) along with terrain. The terrain is a drawn map with rules for using those so it's two dimensional. I prefer it but there are pros and cons.
That's not unreasonable. I ordered the core rule book earlier today, the Rogue Trader box looks to be about $110 or so - you mention commanders, does buying the Rogue Trader box eliminate the need to purchase the separate commander box?

-Thornhammer

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's not unreasonable. I ordered the core rule book earlier today, the Rogue Trader box looks to be about $110 or so - you mention commanders, does buying the Rogue Trader box eliminate the need to purchase the separate commander box?

-Thornhammer
So Commanders was supposed to come out before Rogue Trader but they messed with their release schedule for some reason. Rogue Trader comes with a pair of commanders and just enough rules to run those two. If you have Rogue Trader you have all the rules to run Vulgrim and Elucia, Commander box not required. It does not contain any of the other rules for commanders for other teams. The Commanders box also has more missions although Rogue Trader comes with a few commander friendly missions.

So Commander box is not required for Rogue Trader teams but is required for any other teams. Until you are looking at other teams Commander box provides only a couple of extra missions.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Note that while the RT teams are a lot of fun (I'm a big fan of both), neither is top tier, and they're generally less customisable than most teams. If that's a consideration you might want to look at other options.

(that being said, there's almost nothing else that gets you your full Command Roster in a single box...Harlequins and Grey Knights maybe? Whereas for Starstriders, Gellerpox and the Servants of the Abyss (from Blackstone Fortress), they're one and done. The core box AdMech and Genestealer Cults are actually not even close, the main draw there is the scenery)

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Played AdMech vs GSC today, sort of a core box matchup but with all the extra trimmings.

AdMech guns are great and having two auspex is sweet. The Engiseer is nothing to write home about but is cheap and that means more guns! The Sicarians are pretty much better Reivers, the marines are a bit tougher but don't get those fabulous toys.

GSC industrial weapons are absolutley ridiculous, there's no solution to them other than just killing them before they attack. And having a psyker option as a commander is a big boon to them.

I ended up winning thanks to breaking the cultists but not before I lost an entire flank to those industrial weapons and psybolt!

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
Weird thing is Rogue Trader is the same cost as the Starter box and has no rules, cards, dice and minimal terrain. Core rules + Kill Zone and what ever troop box you want is probably a better start.

And if the Starter box is gone then it's a very weird "evergreen" product. Dark Imperium is still in production as numerous other starters came out and disappeared. This is why people still don't entirely trust GW when they say Kill Team will be 'fully supported'.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Weird thing is Rogue Trader is the same cost as the Starter box and has no rules, cards, dice and minimal terrain. Core rules + Kill Zone and what ever troop box you want is probably a better start.

And if the Starter box is gone then it's a very weird "evergreen" product. Dark Imperium is still in production as numerous other starters came out and disappeared. This is why people still don't entirely trust GW when they say Kill Team will be 'fully supported'.
The thing about that core box is the terrain. AdMech and GSC are stronger than Startstriders and Gellerpox as *factions* but the teams in the starter box are not nearly as good; they're just the respective troop box sprues rather than designed as Kill Teams, and that's particularly unfortunate for the GSC who get less than a 100 points of neophytes rather than the unholy terrors in the rest of their list.

Similarly I don't think they compare well to the Death Guard/Ultras for 40K. You're actually almost better off buying one of the 40K starters to get two solid Kill Teams - I've had more use out of the Know No Fear minis in KT than I have the ones from the KT starter (which will probably change now I have a full command roster of AdMech but I had to split the battleforce with a friend for that).

Meanwhile the KT scenery is fantastic. It essentially is the rules + the best Killzone + a reasonable troop box + a lame troop box. So while the KT box is fantastic value, it's lopsided.

From a more optimistic point of view, this is less GW being shifty about supporting their incredibly successful product and probably more pivoting to a different starter box. I wouldn't be surprised to see something with less value in the scenery and better starting teams (one of which is probably Primaris Astartes).

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What Mengtzu Mengtzu said. The other thing is that, for me, the value of the terrain is less important then the usefulness. The ultra close confines maps and rules are closer to a board game and thus easier for me to adapt to and use. I also like how doors work for a game like Kill Team. So I prefer the Rogue Trader terrain even it's not as good a value for money, I also don't have to assemble and paint it to get a decent effect.

The teams thing is the bigger thing. You need another box of Sicarians and a couple of different boxes of GSC stuff to get access to your whole roster and make rounded teams. Both Starstriders and Gellerpox are complete. Again for me, complete feeling teams are important.

Top Bottom