• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Kill Team/40K] Megathread 1: Good Doggo Aximillion vs the Forces of Eww

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
What Mengtzu Mengtzu said. The other thing is that, for me, the value of the terrain is less important then the usefulness. The ultra close confines maps and rules are closer to a board game and thus easier for me to adapt to and use.
You know what’s really important for me, actually having a copy of the rules. We can debate whether Rogue Trader is a good add-on to Kill Team, but only the Starter came with (almost) everything you need. If you weren’t interested in either teams in the starter you still got great value (even more if you sold the teams you didn’t want). Rogue Trader is two particular teams the spar set kill zone and requires you to still buy a book and dice for the same cost as the starter.

If GW has put the book , cards and dice in RT then I’d be fine with that as a starter, but as it stands there is no starter box for Kill Team and most of the releases since then have been collective shrugs. Rebranding old stock wasn’t just unnecessary, but might have been counterproductive.

Morsla

Occasional Painter
Validated User
Looks like a slightly different direction for the new Kill Team box... building on the success of Shadespire as a competitive / league & tournament system.

Kill Team: Arena is designed to transform Kill Team into a tournament-ready competitive skirmish wargame. Inside the expansion, you’ll find rules designed to offer a tightly balanced gaming experience that’ll test your tactical abilities to the limit, plus guidelines for running events of your own. Pre-constructed maps provide a consistent gaming experience for all, while a set of missions ensure a varied and exciting challenge.

That’s not all – Kill Team Arena also features terrain, as well as rules for fighting in ultra-close confines, representing battle fought in endless corridors of Space Hulks or the caverns of an underground base. What’s more, it’ll be released alongside two new sets – Starn’s Disciples and Theta-7 Acquisitus, both featuring all-new Commander miniatures – each a brand-new unit for their faction, for both Kill Team and Warhammer 40,000.
The new boxes contain a unit (Genestealer Acolytes and Sicarian Infiltrators), bundled together with a new commander model for those factions.

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
Hey kids longing for the good old '90s? Well we here at GW have you covered. No you can relive all you '90s FPS memories with 40K minis...

I really want to see how they justify (or don't) this 'expansion'. If its the cost of a Kill Zone then fine (still overpriced), but I have a feeling it will be starter box or Rogue Trader pricing. Meanwhile over at the Blackstone Fortress and Necromunda Prime they are getting Ambulls---Ambuls for you and you and...Ambulls for everyone[/oprah]

Tricksy and False

Social Justice Murderhobo
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I played two matches against my friend's Kroot team. My first match was Astartes v Kroot. My second match was Gene Stealer Cultists v Kroot. I won both matches.

I had many lucky die rolls in the first match but only barely squeaked out a victory. We were playing the Take Prisoners mission. I took several Kroot off the table, but only managed to capture one before the mission ended after round three. One of my marines was taken out of action, but none were captured.

The second match was also a squeaker. I got lucky with the initiative in round three and went second. I was able to disengage my remaining expendable neophyte from melee combat, letting my flamer shoot into a cluster of Kroot my opponent had thought would be safe in the Shooting phase. This was tide-turning for me, letting me grab several objectives before the end of round four and end of the match.

A rule we overlooked in both matches: in nerve tests, a roll of 1 always succeeds. I know my opponent failed many nerve tests, but I don't know how many were 1s, and I don't know how that might have turned the matches more in his favor.

RedPlanet

Validated User
This is maybe not the most exciting question, but - I'm assuming the cards for the details of each model in your kill team are wipe-clean? What kind of pen is best to write on them with to not leave marks?

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
This is maybe not the most exciting question, but - I'm assuming the cards for the details of each model in your kill team are wipe-clean? What kind of pen is best to write on them with to not leave marks?
I actually don't know! I haven't really seen them used that way. I used mine for a campaign with normal pen, otherwise for casual games I usually just print out a form filled version. The Kill Team Manager app is getting quite popular too, I've used it a few times now and it's pretty good.

nfb

Action Scientist
Validated User
Any pitfalls or recommendations for someone who's just thinking about getting into KT? Honestly, I'm mostly into it for some fun modelling opportunities -- I want something small that's easier to paint than my Infinity stuff. But I'd rather build for a hypothetical game than just put together random miniatures.

Pondering T'au, Necrons, or some sort of Space Marines.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Any pitfalls or recommendations for someone who's just thinking about getting into KT? Honestly, I'm mostly into it for some fun modelling opportunities -- I want something small that's easier to paint than my Infinity stuff. But I'd rather build for a hypothetical game than just put together random miniatures.

Pondering T'au, Necrons, or some sort of Space Marines.
For the most part the Command Roster concept means it's not really a waste to build any particular model - there'll be *some* mission or opponent you'll want it for so handy to have it around.

There are meta choices and they have some degree of mismatch with the plastic you actually buy. For example, a Deathwatch team can have up to four frag cannons, an AdMech team can bring 6(!) plasma guns by mixing Rangers and Vanguards etc - but you only get one by buying a box. It can be worth hitting up third parties or converting to get the special weapon allotment for your command roster in shape.

Only a few factions want to spam a lot of a basic troop type. For most factions you want a few models from each data card - for example Astartes teams will often want to include Scouts with missile launchers, Tactical marines with missile launcher, plasma gun, auspex, Intercessor with auspex, and Reivers backing them up on the command list.

T'au largely want to avoid their basic troops, Fire Warriors and Breachers don't contribute much. Rail rifle pathfinders, drones and stealth suits are gold. Likewise Necrons seem to get most mileage out of Immortals backed up by Flayed Ones, with Warriors and Deathmarks having a diminished role (though never hurts to have some available on the command roster).

Weapons that do more than 1 damage are worth their weight in gold, especially if you play against Thousand Sons. They are useful even against models with only one wound due to the injury mechanics.

All that being said my fairly beastly Deathwatch lists can lose to random bolter fire, I often win with random lists or less meta picks like Starstriders (who have a fixed and predictable list), and it's rare for even quite untuned lists to get tabled early. So basically anything that gets you started is probably fine.

Edit: if you want some cheap marine action, the Deathwatch box is very good. You can make a decent list just from that box, and the really obvious additions - an Intercessor sergeant or gunner, Reivers - are all available as cheap Easy to Build models.

nfb

Action Scientist
Validated User
Cheers Mengtzu, that's super helpful. Always makes me a little sad to hear that basic troops aren't often a particularly good choice, but I also hear what you're saying about just about anything being okay.

How about the Kill Team faction boxes? I note that they include exclusive tactics cards, but the T'au one (for example) might not be awesome value because Fire Warriors/Breachers. Is there anywhere else to get those exclusive tactics cards, and are they actually any use?

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Cheers Mengtzu, that's super helpful. Always makes me a little sad to hear that basic troops aren't often a particularly good choice, but I also hear what you're saying about just about anything being okay.
Well it's not that they're bad so much as you generally don't want as many of them as you'll normally get in a troop box :)

How about the Kill Team faction boxes? I note that they include exclusive tactics cards, but the T'au one (for example) might not be awesome value because Fire Warriors/Breachers. Is there anywhere else to get those exclusive tactics cards, and are they actually any use?
The rule of thumb is the boxes are good if you also want the terrain, or if you think you'll play in a tournament which will require you to have the physical cards (though note I think the big tournaments are doing the opposite and not allowing the extra tactics?). Otherwise you're fine getting the miniatures however you like and then using the Kill Team Manager app or something to see the tactics. Some factions super benefit from the extra tactics (Necrons, Astartes), but it's not like Warhammer Underworlds where you physically play the card from your hand, you just need to know the cost and the rule.

Note the minatures in the box are always identical to a standard troop box, so if you just want the troops you can always get them cheaper that way.

The AdMech and GSC ones are probably going to be good value if you also want the pack-in commander.

Top Bottom