[Kill Team/40K] Megathread 1: Good Doggo Aximillion vs the Forces of Eww

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Honestly? That's the real thing too. Just admit it. My biggest complaint with 40k is they aren't bold enough. Kill off a race - keep some legacy rules sure. But just make it obvious, none of this fucking around with it. And I say this while fully admitting I am LOVING the new Chaos stuff. So much I almost want a Chaos Army! And I HATE playing bad factions!

In many ways Eldar are the worst of the worst. TWO YEARS ago we got the Triumvirate now. And since? Nothing. At all. Not a single new model. Not a meaningful plot advancement. Nothing. That's what grinds my gears more than anything. We went from seeming like something big was happening for them to... nothing for over 2 years now. Without even a sign there's something else coming for them.
They did get a single new model - the Spritseer in Wake the Dead. ;)

Safe to say the Wraithstuff is sticking around - the Wraithknight is their centrepiece kit, Wraithblades/Wraithguard are pretty new and that Spritseer.

Ascanius

Use the singular they!
Validated User
Conversely, I doubt very much that with Jes Goodwin around, an Eldar refresh isn't part of the conversation.

I think it's the same old Catch-22; Craftworld Eldar armies aren't as popular as Space Marines/Imperium, Chaos, et cetera, but is that inherent to the faction or is it because there's a lot of old models in the range now?

I sort of look at it this way. If you take it as given that Space Marines are always going to be #1, and Chaos, especially the Traitor Legions, are always going to be #2, with everything else a distant third or more . . . then it becomes a question of what else can go in the 40K release slots for all the other armies.

If you take that as given, whether you like it or not, then you have to look at what else has been taking up those non-Space Marine slots in recent years: Adeptus Mechanicus for the first time ever. A relaunch of the Genestealer Cults after 15-20 years or so. Harlequins. Imperial Knights in 40K scale for the first time ever. Ork vehicle redesigns, most recently. Hell, Sisters of Battle, finally.

That's a mixture of wholly new armies and updates of old models. I have to assume that Games Workshop believes it has to be that way - that they don't think the game is going to survive if all they do is keep making newer versions of existing models. I mean, that's the whole reason why the Primaris Space Marines exist, to give them an excuse to both improve and expand their most popular range.

I think they'll get to everything, eventually - modulo the possibility that they will never release a "proper" Firstborn Space Marines release again, though even there I'm unsure. But I can easily imagine that there's a world, maybe next year past Sisters of Battle when they're also refreshing the Emperor's Children and Slaanesh, that some fancy new plastic Aspect Warriors kits come out to make a splash, just like Genestealer Cults.

LCDR Seamonkey

Urban Monkey Warfare
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Conversely, I doubt very much that with Jes Goodwin around, an Eldar refresh isn't part of the conversation.

I think it's the same old Catch-22; Craftworld Eldar armies aren't as popular as Space Marines/Imperium, Chaos, et cetera, but is that inherent to the faction or is it because there's a lot of old models in the range now?

I sort of look at it this way. If you take it as given that Space Marines are always going to be #1, and Chaos, especially the Traitor Legions, are always going to be #2, with everything else a distant third or more . . . then it becomes a question of what else can go in the 40K release slots for all the other armies.

If you take that as given, whether you like it or not, then you have to look at what else has been taking up those non-Space Marine slots in recent years: Adeptus Mechanicus for the first time ever. A relaunch of the Genestealer Cults after 15-20 years or so. Harlequins. Imperial Knights in 40K scale for the first time ever. Ork vehicle redesigns, most recently. Hell, Sisters of Battle, finally.

That's a mixture of wholly new armies and updates of old models. I have to assume that Games Workshop believes it has to be that way - that they don't think the game is going to survive if all they do is keep making newer versions of existing models. I mean, that's the whole reason why the Primaris Space Marines exist, to give them an excuse to both improve and expand their most popular range.

I think they'll get to everything, eventually - modulo the possibility that they will never release a "proper" Firstborn Space Marines release again, though even there I'm unsure. But I can easily imagine that there's a world, maybe next year past Sisters of Battle when they're also refreshing the Emperor's Children and Slaanesh, that some fancy new plastic Aspect Warriors kits come out to make a splash, just like Genestealer Cults.
So, an Emperor's Children Vs Craftworld Eldar battlebox? Go onnnnnnnnnnnn............

Killfalcon

Reasonably Phosphorous
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

This is very similar to my thinking. Redoing the Aspects is a Big Job, and that needs to find a space in the entire production/marketing chain where that makes sense - and for the last few years, there's always been something else ahead of the queue. They've needed the steady stream of arines to keep money coming in, but around that they've been redoing and refreshing lines that are notably older than the Aspects (redone in late 3rd edition/early 4th, IIRC) or less complete than the current Craftworld range (which has some fantastic looking vehicle kits, guardians, wraith thingies, jetbikes, etc). The current big "for the fans not the pocket" range is replacing the Sororitas with their all metal 2nd edition line infantry.

It's a very hard road to walk - GW has so many factions to work on at once.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Played in a store Arena tournament tonight, tons of fun. We got through four matches in a single evening - Arena is *fast*. Even with most people playing Arena for the first time (and the eventual winner playing Kill Team for the first time!) people picked everything up quickly and really smashed through the rounds.

I took second using a very aggressive Deathwatch shooting list - Reiver Sarge to tie up and sit on objectives, plasma sniper, 3x frag cannon. Didn't end up using anything else from the command roster I'd prepared (though I would have swapped the shooting out entirely if I'd come up against the Harlequins player).

The secondary objectives and really tight decisions around mission objectives made for fun games - and as always everyone in the Melbourne store was awesome, a real pleasure to play against all of my opponents.

Edit: winner was using Deathguard, lots of poxwalkers. Definitely seeing DG and Tyranids as top tier in Arena.

Last edited:

Gentleman Highwayman

Validated User
Recently, it seems that GW is focusing new units rather than re-sculpts of classic models. It makes sense that when they have designs that are being copied by others (such as mentioned above), they are not as enthusiastic about creating a competing sculpt vs. a whole new unit type. I figure that they are treating the Eldar (or Aeldari) the same as the Space Marines. Everyone knows that mini marines will be phased out at some point once the Primaris line has been fully rolled out.
GREAT! When can we expect Ynnari models to help phase out our craft world stuff... If only Eldar players were treated like Marine players we'd be getting new cool stuff. And I guess the reason we haven't is because the design team doesn't know what to do. It probably doesn't help that there are 2.75 Eldar armies as there is. Maybe they are waiting for another big storyline to actually smash the Eldar to bits and properly make a new one.

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Freelance Merc For Hire
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Meant to post in this earlier this week--finally played my first Kill-Team game. I used my old Space Marines (no Primaris) against a buddy's Astra Militarum. I got kinda wrecked, but it was fun! Very quick and clean gameplay, too. I think I will be playing more (as time allows).

mac40k

Validated User
GREAT! When can we expect Ynnari models to help phase out our craft world stuff... If only Eldar players were treated like Marine players we'd be getting new cool stuff. And I guess the reason we haven't is because the design team doesn't know what to do. It probably doesn't help that there are 2.75 Eldar armies as there is. Maybe they are waiting for another big storyline to actually smash the Eldar to bits and properly make a new one.
I don't have a crystal ball, but as I said, with the focus this year on completing the Primaris line and re-doing Chaos I wouldn't expect anything before 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if the long awaited return of Slaanesh and the Emperor's Children (which has been rumored for quite some time) rounds out the year, which sets them up lore-wise for renewed interest in the Aeldari factions next year.

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't have a crystal ball, but as I said, with the focus this year on completing the Primaris line and re-doing Chaos I wouldn't expect anything before 2020. I wouldn't be surprised if the long awaited return of Slaanesh and the Emperor's Children (which has been rumored for quite some time) rounds out the year, which sets them up lore-wise for renewed interest in the Aeldari factions next year.
Nah, the end of the year is Sisters. Slaanesh won't be back until at least next year.

Top Bottom