[Kill Team/40K] Megathread 1: Good Doggo Aximillion vs the Forces of Eww

First and Forsaken Brian

Validated User
Some friends and I are ramping up for Kill Team in the near future, so I have been researching optimizing my Necrons. The conventional wisdom I have encountered seems to hold that the only viable Necron list is a bunch of Immortals with Gauss Blasters (and maybe a Deathmark or Flayed One for flavor), but my own Mathhammering indicates that in all circumstances other than short range against armor saves the Tesla Carbine will inflict more damage on average. I'm trying to resolve this discrepancy.

My expectation, never having played, is that most shooting is done at long range since if you're in short range you're generally within charge range, and therefore advantages in short-range shooting are pretty quickly negated. Is this a fundamental misapprehension on my part, assuming that there is enough terrain to properly cover the table?

Are there any Necron players handy who can comment on their findings?

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Most shooting is done at short range, a 12" bubble for short on an average 24" weapon (or 18" bubble with normal movement) covers a LOT of a KT board.

One of the reasons I don't like meltas or most pistols is they do need to shoot at long range most of the time, and the -1 to hit on top of the inevitable -1 for concealment hurts the cause.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Yeah I'm very excited but I don't want to go crazy and buy more minatures before I know how they fit in a command roster 😅 Detailed previews would be nice!

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah I'm very excited but I don't want to go crazy and buy more minatures before I know how they fit in a command roster 😅 Detailed previews would be nice!
Oh good! I was worried it was just me.
I had sort of thought that maybe they wouldn't really bother with previews since there isn't really new stuff, it's all just 40k adaptations. Having never really looked at 40k rules I have no idea what any of the announced units are like or what Space Marine chapter abilities do.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Elites isn't literally the 40k Elite battlefield role so the minature selection will overlap but not be a subset of that. While the profiles will probably be the same I expect rules and tactics will be different and points costs are a big question.

Points costs and limits probably won't be previewed but they might leak 😅

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Table of Contents is posted for Elites: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/05/06/kill-team-elites-contents-focusgw-homepage-post-1/

A lot of stuff there.
-Grey Knights, Eldar and Chaos Marines seem to get a lot, wonder if it's deliberate.
-Deathwatch don't get anything? I guess they can grab other people's stuff.
-I wonder what 10 pages of "Conquerors of the Killzones" is? Painting reference pics section?
-Are the Space Marine phobos armour folks the Shadowspear/Primaris Vanguard stuff?
-That seems like a lot of awesome heretical stuff.
-I thought they'd announced that every kill team got something including non-corebook ones. Kroot probably get that kroot carnivore but I wonder about Starstriders, Gellerpox and the Blackstone chaos faction. White Dwarf maybe?
-I don't know how sub-factions normally work. There's 16 teams in the base game and only 12 sections for sub-factions. Do Thousand Sons and Death Guard fall under "Legion Traits" here? Do Grey Knights and Death Watch get anything or are they "Chapter Tactics"?

Top Bottom