• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kill Team/40K] Megathread 1: Good Doggo Aximillion vs the Forces of Eww

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
I actually ended up playing against Eldar today, and lost fairly handily. Mostly Dire Avengers backed by Banshees and a HWP.

I killed 9 or so to one loss, but they very effectively kept me away from the objectives and put out an efficient weight of fire that kept my command points locked up in Death Denied. The Banshees were no real trouble but no fault of their own, I didn't have anyone who *could* overwatch worth a damn so I didn't miss it being turned off :D

I was running exclusively storm shields and thunder hammers on a mix of terminators, jump packs and foot veterans. They're incredibly effective, allowing me to keep a small force intact throughout a game, crucially killing rather than flesh wounding opponents in melee and thus allowing me to keep charging turn after turn.

But hahaha I'm sucking so bad at objectives. I think I have to ditch the termies entirely and just go vets, whatever mix of jump packs and foot I can fit into the mission point limit, so I can have the mobility and barely enough bodies to exploit the holes I'm tearing through the enemy.

Also I'll eventually get wise and go back to combined arms with plasma guns or accelerators or whatever (especially because you actually want to be rolling attacks in more phases to make the most of Salamanders) but I'm just enjoying TH spam so much now I don't even care if I lose 😅

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Am I correct in understanding that the Elites book has chapter/ sept/ etc elements for all factions?

And if that's correct, can you apply them to basic Kill Teams and Commanders, or is it only for the Elite teams?

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Am I correct in understanding that the Elites book has chapter/ sept/ etc elements for all factions?

And if that's correct, can you apply them to basic Kill Teams and Commanders, or is it only for the Elite teams?
As I understand it, Elites is designed to just be added to the game. The intention is for there basically not to be a distinction between "basic" teams and "elite" teams.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
As I understand it, Elites is designed to just be added to the game. The intention is for there basically not to be a distinction between "basic" teams and "elite" teams.
Correct, elites is not a different game mode. There are no missions that restrict anything in the elites book, it applies to everything (with the caveat that the commanders are mission restricted like any other commanders).

That means if you're playing a purely vanilla team vs someone with the elites book, they should at least give you a look to let you pick a subfaction.

(Note Gellerpox, Starstriders, Kroot and Servants of the Abyss don't have subfaction traits, hopefully they get a PDF or something)

nos4artu

Educationalist.
Validated User
Adeptus Custodes are brutal in Kill Team. I played against a friend using my Death Watch and I got tabled. It would have happened by about turn 2 if he had better dice rolls. 3 Custodians are just murder machines against single wound models.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Adeptus Custodes are brutal in Kill Team. I played against a friend using my Death Watch and I got tabled. It would have happened by about turn 2 if he had better dice rolls. 3 Custodians are just murder machines against single wound models.
Custodes really need to be counterlisted and sadly Deathwatch don't have amazing tools to do it. You could do frag cannons and plasma, you could yolo with Heavy Thunder Hammer and hope you don't get shot on the way in. You could try stormshield and thunder hammer veterans but I'd honestly rather do that with normal Astartes.

nos4artu

Educationalist.
Validated User
Custodes really need to be counterlisted and sadly Deathwatch don't have amazing tools to do it. You could do frag cannons and plasma, you could yolo with Heavy Thunder Hammer and hope you don't get shot on the way in. You could try stormshield and thunder hammer veterans but I'd honestly rather do that with normal Astartes.
Yeah, I mean I managed to put some shooting wounds on them, but the high toughness, 3 wounds and excellent saves were brutal. I expect if he’d had sword and board Custodians I wouldn’t have been able to touch them. I think next time I’ll try Blightlord terminators with combi plasma. The Cataphracti armour and Disgusting Resilience might even the odds.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is this month's White Dwarf out? Anyone seen the rules for using Kill Team with Blackstone Fortress maps?

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Is this month's White Dwarf out? Anyone seen the rules for using Kill Team with Blackstone Fortress maps?
Yep!

The interesting bit is you use the BSF layouts, you draw a card to get your layout. You then deploy from the portals (within 3"!). If you can't fit near the portal you deploy models from it during your turns, might be awkward for big horde teams.

There's ultra close confine rules adapted to the tiles (work pretty much as you'd expect) and a couple of missions.

Doorless UCC might favour elite teams, could be fun.

Aesthete

A for Aeffort
Validated User
Maybe this has already been remarked upon, but I'm guessing we will see rules for psykers in the not too distant future. The sub-faction rules for Guard in the Elite book mentions that they don't apply to Astra Telepathica models (or regimental advisors for that matter).

Top Bottom