• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Killing Cthulhu?

Helico

Validated User
Hell, nuking him would fit right into Lovecraft's mythos - that kind of truly terrifying application of physics, that kind of incredible, insane power, is the very stuff that all the weird things make use of themselves. Nuking Cthulhu, using nukes at all, is just another step down the path towards being just like the Old Ones.
+1

Although, if you kill Cthulhu, what will the younger races do? From what I understand, there are races that are afraid of mucking around with things on Earth because there is a great old one hanging around. Kill him off and then the younger races might come out en masse.

Edit: Might also think about what the Deep Ones will do when their god is dead. Mass suicide (lots of weird fish bodies floating up all over the coast). Mass murder. Splintering factions. Worshiping other Old Ones and trying to bring them here.

Last edited:

Redcrow

Retired User
Everyone is of course free to do what they will within the confines of their own game.

First however we should keep separate the terms beaten and destroyed. Can something like Cthulhu be beaten? Certainly. Can something like Cthulhu be destroyed? That is debateable.

I would say that Cthulhu could potentially be destroyed, but probably not by mere mortals using any sort of conventional means (e.g. a large drill to the skull). Allowing this would only diminish what something like Cthulhu represents. It is not merely a big monster, but a wholly alien entity beyond human understanding. It cannot be easily labeled, classified, indexed or given any sort of concrete attributes and attempting to do so is a fool's errand.

If I were to allow a group of PCs to attempt to actually destroy Cthulhu, it would only be by using some type of ancient ritual or alien science and the result would likely be more disastrous than the attempt.

Behemoth

a cache of old photographs in a trunk
Validated User
So you kill Cthulhu. But that doesn't mean you've won.

When the stars were right the thing's dreams made artists, poets and madmen create works of art and insane genius. That was only when the stars were right.

What if the only thing that kept humanity 'sane', the only thing that created a civilisation for the poor ape, was the dreams of the alien under the sea?

When the star god was killed, people all over the world simply stopped dreaming. Sociopathy increased, men became monsters, little more than apes with tools. Soon the whole world collapsed, because our intelligence, our sanity was nothing more than the dream of an ancient alien being, momentarily trapped under the ocean until we had the presumption to kill it.

cappadocius

Banned
I don't think there's any evidence in the source material that obliterating Cthulhu with any of various relatively mundane means wouldn't kill him.
The Elder Things, which had mastered interstellar travel, created all life on Earth as a side effect of building some construction machinery/slaves, and had access to technologies hardly dreamed of by men, BARELY fought Cthulhu's race to a stand still. I genuinely don't think humans currently have access to technologies capable of permanently destroying a Xothian any more than a monkey could split an atom by banging two rocks together really hard. I suppose there's the minute chance we could detonate enough nuclear explosions at the same place, at the same time, to accidentally summon Azathoth.

Will

Banned
Lovecraft's work was filled with stuff not made out of terrene matter, or being extensively multidimensional, and so on. Heck, R'lyeh itself was built in ways that defied logic and physics.

Given all of that, given creatures with wings that fly through space and that live for millions/billions of years, the _default_ assumption should be that whatever rubbery body you are seeing as a giant squid-head dude is but a small extrusion of something much greater.

This is the chief priest of Azathoth, the most powerful entity in the universe, who is at LEAST 350 million years old (and possibly much older). This is a being who survived a war with the Elder Race, a race that engineered Shoggoths and possibly are responsible for all vertebrates on Earth.

Also, given that Cthulhu survived being rammed by a tugboat (which was apparently a mild inconvenience), I'm not sure how different an attack 'a big drill' is supposed to be?

Dulahan

Validated User
Also, given that Cthulhu survived being rammed by a tugboat (which was apparently a mild inconvenience), I'm not sure how different an attack 'a big drill' is supposed to be?

Let's put this into perspective. Humans can survive being rammed by Cars. Oh, it'll hurt them tremendously. But not necessarilly kill them. Cars are bigger than humans. Moving faster than humans. A tug boat at full speed compared to giant Cthulhu? Not even close to a similar bit. Maybe more like a baseball bat hitting once. Breakes a few ribs.

But a human will be killed by a much smaller drill into the head much of the time.

Will

Banned
The tugboat hit Cthulhu and Cthulhu exploded into melty bits, only to reform moments later.

What about that scenario suggests a drill would work?

A Letter From Prague

citizen of the invisible
Validated User
But a human will be killed by a much smaller drill into the head much of the time.
So, what, you gate the drill into whichever reality Cthulhu stores its vital organs? Does it have vital organs? It its extrusion into humanly-perceptual dimensionality coming from a place which contains the same kind of ontological distinctions between objects as we're used to? Hell, what if the impression of the reality of collapsed waveforms we believe reflects some external state is simply a neurobiological function, unshared by the star-spawn's mutliplicity of extrusions into other possibilities?

DoctorDogGirl

Banned
I think you can kill Cthulhu.

As mentioned above, you just need to summon something bigger to kill him.

Or send his essence to another dimension.

But yes, I honestly believe the Cthulhu that rose in the book is more like a manifestation of Cthulhu than Cthulhu itself.

Top Bottom