• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Kindle Unlimited and the Regions

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Probably a stupid question, but just how different is kindle unlimted amongst the regions? is it as widely different as say prime video?

How do people feel about kindle unlimited generally in terms of its value for money?

molikai

Crazy Scot - 1st Grade
Validated User
I am basically dependent on Kindle unlimited to stay /sane/. I read, on average, 2-4 Kindle books a day.
I need to read every day.
Now, I'm only familiar with the UK region - but. I hve followed author links to 'Here are my other books! 'which invariably point t othe US, the US site is /not/ kindle unlimited, I switch to UK, and it is.
So there is my anecdotal data point on your former question.
What I will say, however, is that the 'Reccomended for you' on kindle unlimited looks at a fairly short period - one reason I ended up reading a lot of LitRPG is that I read a single LitRPG series (Of.. I think it was about 8 books? I can't even remember which one), then when I went to get my next batch, that was practically all it recomended to me!
so it can take a bit of effort to find the good stuff - but no more than if you were in a large library or book store.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Right. Mine is pretty polluted with LitRPG and harem series because I sampled a couple recently. Or fantasy with adult themes, like one called The Wizards Daughters.

Being in Australia I’m kinda surprised I could even trial the US Kindle Unlimited.

So far at least I’m using it to sample shorter indie stuff that probably would not get a print release or have a audible version.

Last edited:

PeterM

Validated User
Or fantasy with adult themes, like one called The Wizards Daughters.
Is that by Michael Dalton? I liked that one, but couldn't get into the sequel for whatever reason. I should try it again.

I recommend Dalton's story The eGirl, too, about a man who wins an unexpectedly advanced sex-bot at a football game. Had some good humor and some good heart.

In general, I like Kindle Unlimited a lot. I don't get my money's worth every month, but other months make up for it in spades. I look at it like Netflix, good to have even if I'm not using it all the time. I do agree that the recommendations can really hem you in sometimes, but conversely they can also be way too broad at other times. I just ordered some earrings for my wife, and that's almost all I'm seeing right now. That'll go away in a day or two, but other similar stuff has better legs.

The two things I really don't like about the recommendations is they keep recommending stuff I do not ever want to read, for various reasons, and even doing what you're supposed to do to take that off your recs has never worked. And they keep recommending me things I've already read on Kindle Unlimited. Recommend other books by the same author, sure, but don't recommend me the book I literally just finished reading!

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Is that by Michael Dalton? I liked that one, but couldn't get into the sequel for whatever reason. I should try it again.
Yeah. I have to say they are pretty dense in world building and the cast of characters, especially for how short they are.

In general, I like Kindle Unlimited a lot. I don't get my money's worth every month, but other months make up for it in spades. I look at it like Netflix, good to have even if I'm not using it all the time. I do agree that the recommendations can really hem you in sometimes, but conversely they can also be way too broad at other times. I just ordered some earrings for my wife, and that's almost all I'm seeing right now. That'll go away in a day or two, but other similar stuff has better legs.

The two things I really don't like about the recommendations is they keep recommending stuff I do not ever want to read, for various reasons, and even doing what you're supposed to do to take that off your recs has never worked. And they keep recommending me things I've already read on Kindle Unlimited. Recommend other books by the same author, sure, but don't recommend me the book I literally just finished reading!
One problem already for me seems to be recommending things I've already read/bought on the kindle store. But that kind of issue seems endemic with all recommendation engines in my experience.

molikai

Crazy Scot - 1st Grade
Validated User
Yeah. It does seem to have a habit of e-mailing me if I'd like to try this book.. That I read yesterday.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
And the categories are pretty wonky. I mean look at this:

I'd think most/all of those listed in Lit & Fiction actually belong in SF & Fantasy. Also a story named 'Tony and the Buccaneers' doesn't sound like SF or Fantasy to me.

flowerysong

Scratch Monkey
Validated User
And the categories are pretty wonky. I mean look at this:

I'd think most/all of those listed in Lit & Fiction actually belong in SF & Fantasy.
That's because books can be in multiple categories, and even in broad categories Amazon tends to surface things related to more specific categories that you've read. So when I look at Romance I see a lot of M/M and paranormal, while my friend Anna sees historical romances.

Also a story named 'Tony and the Buccaneers' doesn't sound like SF or Fantasy to me.
From a brief glance at the summary it's isekai; Tony is a modern day police officer transported to a different world (I assume one with buccaneers) by a goddess.

PeterM

Validated User
The categories can get absolutely ridiculous, and there’s a lot of gaming the system to get to be #1 in at least one category. I saw one sci fi/fantasy book the other day that was touted as number one in “Out Of Body Experiences.”

molikai

Crazy Scot - 1st Grade
Validated User
That looks a lot like the recommendations I get. And of those...
I have no interested in the Fostering Faust series, I've read LIfe Bonds, Morrigan's bidding, Life Reset, Dungeon Spawned (I think), Not seen the elven trinity ones before.. Fimbulwinters I TRIPLE PLUS reccomend, that's a very good series, don't think I've read any of the next three.. Super Sale on Super Heroes is semi-good popcorn.
I might have read Warlock's son, not sire.
We should totally set up a thread to discuss kindle Unlimited books We Have Read and what we'd recommend...

Top Bottom