• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro Korean War in 28mm?

durecellrabbit

Validated User
It's not 28mm, it's not land combat and it was before I joined but my club has done Korean air combat before.

Hodden

The Great
Banned
Validated User
I saw a demo game at a convention once of the Glosters on the Imjin river, but, I seem to remember that was done with 6mm minis.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not a terribly great suggestion, but maybe you could shift your modelling instincts from the troops to the terrain to make for the distinction? Or in the scenario design?
If I do this, I'll do winter. It'll also need a decent number of hills. I can't really do the full hill effect, as that would involve a table that's a few feet tall, but I'll still want some...

Beyond that I'm open for ideas. I remember a lot of rice farms and open areas criss-crossed with rocky streambeds...?

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
I think that 'Company B' just has released an Easy Eight Sherman in 28mm. I'm on my phone ATM, so posting links is too difficult...

Other than that, my experience of wargaming the Korean War is limited to Sabres vs. MiGs.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think that 'Company B' just has released an Easy Eight Sherman in 28mm.
Yep, ordered it.

;)

Edit: And those Winter US troops to go with it. Looks like I'm doing this.

So - who makes a 28mm US Recoilless Rifle...?

Last edited:

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
How are their kits? I find myself drawn towards their Soviet armored train.
I don't have that, perhaps surprisingly. I do have their LVT(A)-4 and it is quite good. Some of the resin on the turret is a little thin, but not TOO thin, just delicate. There were no bubbles or miscasts, so I'd recommend it.

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think that 'Company B' just has released an Easy Eight Sherman in 28mm.
I finally got around to unboxing this, and it is quite disappointing. I don't know if the mold was bad, but the model itself is poor.

Most notably, the tracks and hull are all one piece. Generally resin models do the tracks separately so they can have more detail; these weren't, and the results were not good. I can deal with things like the blobs of resin that result from casting - I just grind them off with a Dremel tool - but in this case there are sags, gaps, and noticeable defects. It looks okay from a distance, but once you get close the problems stand out.

I'm quite unhappy with this model. I may use it as a wreck or an objective marker or give it away, but I don't think I'll order from this company again. (Edit: I'll post a photo tonight if anyone is interested.)

As it is, Hobby Boss does a plastic 1/48 scale M-4A3E8 intended for Korea and there are brass/upgrade kits available, so I'll order one of those instead.

Last edited:

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
I saw a demo game at a convention once of the Glosters on the Imjin river, but, I seem to remember that was done with 6mm minis.
I think I've seen the same thing done in 15mm, there was a Wargames Illustrated feature on it (they'd made British stands look like slit trenches with heads looking out).

EDIT - if someone wants to do the Glosters, I wouldn't mind doing the (oft forgotten) Ulster Rifles and Irish Hussars from the same battle.

Last edited:

Hodden

The Great
Banned
Validated User
I think I've seen the same thing done in 15mm, there was a Wargames Illustrated feature on it (they'd made British stands look like slit trenches with heads looking out).

EDIT - if someone wants to do the Glosters, I wouldn't mind doing the (oft forgotten) Ulster Rifles and Irish Hussars from the same battle.
If you can get it right then you've got to do the whole battle, a Division of British troops fighting a Chinese Corps, it would look spectacular.

Top Bottom