• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Kult: Divinity Lost] Leave a Light for Me

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Joel

That sudden? Joel couldn't imagine a more complete and blatant coverup. "Dare I ask what you were able to find from the scene before you were shut down?"

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Astrid

Mark keeps his eyes on the road, but when he speaks his voice is unusually soft.

"How long have they been following you?"

He's avoiding looking at you. Sure, there's traffic, but not that much. When you glance over at him from the corner of your eye you can't read his expression, can't tell if he's upset or afraid or angry. He's usually quite easy to read so it's unnerving to see him so... flat, so cold.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lauren

What few people you can see clearly want nothing to do with any homeless people, especially ones yelling and making a scene. A mother in her thirties ushers her two children away when they point at you, and a young couple turns around and hurries the other way.

Bill is nearly at the edge of the water and he's not slowing down.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Akira

You press yourself against the wall, hiding in the shadows. You try to control your breathing as the shuffling steps come closer... closer...

You start to hear slow, rasping breaths, each followed by a soft whimper.

The steps pass through the doorway, carrying a pale, emaciated figure with strangely short arms and a hunched posture. At first you think... he? she? impossible to tell - is completely naked, but then you see straps of black, shiny plastic wrapped around it's limbs, interwoven with something that blends into...

No, they're not wrapped around, they're passing through, under the skin, you can see the stitches where the flesh has been sliced open and sown up again. And the arms aren't short, the hands have been cut off.

It doesn't turn in your direction but continues to shuffle forward towards the opposite door, still drawing those slow, rasping breaths. You can't see why it's hunched over, but from the things you can see you're certain you should be glad something is still hidden.

Then it stops, right in front of the stairs, waving it's mutilated arms uncertainly, it's body swiveling slowly from side to side.

What do you do?
Spoiler: Show
Your excellent roll gives you the opportunity to ask two questions among the following:
  • What is my best way through this?
  • What currently poses the biggest threat?
  • What can I use to my advantage?
  • What should I be on the lookout for?
  • What is being hidden from me?
  • What seems strange about this?
Acting on the answers gives you +1 to your rolls.

You don't have to ask the questions right away. The quality of the answers you get may improve with further observation.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Joel

There's a long silence before he continues.

"It was the worst crime scene I've ever seen. Well, the worst not involving children."

He pauses again.

"It was torture. Whoever did that was not human. Not... I've seen a lot of shit over the years, people doing fucked up things when they're angry or high or crazy. This wasn't anything like that. This was slow, methodical, planned out. And that kid..."

He draws a shuddering breath, his tough cop persona giving way to something more human.

"He said he didn't remember. They say he must have blocked it out, and I can believe that. Seems his back was turned but he must have heard what was going on."

He coughs, clears his throat.

"To be perfectly honest, when I was told to shut it down I was relieved. I... I didn't want to have to face the kind of monster who would do something like that."

Another long silence.

"I kept my mouth shut and my head down. But Hank... Hank started digging. I heard the talk, he was dragging up old cases, talking some crazy shit about those symbols on the walls, saying there was a serial killer or some shit like that."

You push him a bit more, and his answers confirm your suspicion that the Faircloth crime scene is strikingly similar to the one you visited a few days ago, down to the symbols painted in blood on the walls.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Vincent

Spoiler: Show
I'm no expert in photography, but I believe you have to cut up the film to make prints it so I don't think you can get the images without anyone knowing. A quick googling tells me they will definitely know you have developed the negatives to the point where you could have made prints.

It's after eight pm when Oak's lawyer, a tiny energetic woman who tells you to call her Miss Porter, has finally extracted you from the cops. She's fuming, dressing down the detective who had been interviewing you and looking like she wants to throw something at his head, but she settles for getting you out of the precinct building.

This is after a long afternoon and night of telling the same story over and over and over and over again. The cops were not happy you had developed the film (and you're not sure if they bought the lie that you hadn't made any prints), but they were mildly impressed about the wallet.

They don't tell you anything, of course.

At home you're met by Mr Oak and a hot dinner. He talks things over with Miss Porter just out of your earshot, then she leaves and he sits down across the table from you, looking unusually serious.

"Tell me everything."

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Joel

"I don't suppose you'd be willing to be cited a source for this? With anonymity if you want it. There's another crime that took place recently with a similar MO. There may just be a serial killer running about, and the LAPD might just sit on this for whatever reason. If a roasting in the papers is what's needed to get them moving, I plan on doing it." Joel advocated to Martins.

Choo Choo

Likes Rocks
Validated User
Lauren

Lauren swears and, seeing that none of those closer to Bill than she is would lift their finger to help, takes off running after him herself. "Bill!" she shouts, "look at me!"

Daxian

Validated User
Astrid

"Umm... Awhile now... I don't know exactly. I just started noticing them out of the blue..." The fact that they could've been watching her for much longer than she'd first realized has never dawned on her until now. It's really creeping her out. Mark's intensity about the whole thing isn't helping matters, either.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Joel

Martins gives up a dry, bitter laugh.

"Jesus Christ, you don't get it, do you? You think you can publish this?"

He snorts derisively.

"If you're lucky, they'll just kill the story. They're not going through all the trouble of keeping this quiet just to let some nosy fucking reporter write about it."

You hear a clinking sound that may be a bottle against a glass, then Martins swalling something and sighing.

"You may be able to dig up some more of what happened, but if you poke around too much you'll find yourself without a job, or without the need of a job if you catch my drift. If the department wants this kept quiet to the point that they're squashing it from within without telling anyone why, they're more than willing to strongarm someone like you."

Top Bottom