• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Kult] I have the book and it's beautiful, and the game seems good too.

pstjmack

Validated User
This is one of those cases where I love the setting and hate the system. The premise and gameworld of Kult look incredible, let alone the lavish artwork - some of the best I've seen for any game anywhere. I just have a problem with PbtA's Archetypes and the system as a whole, and I can't help wondering if the simplicity and ready-to-play plus points of PbtA are kind of nixed in as complex and detailed a setting as Kult's.

DavetheLost

Validated User
Kult is my first exposure to PbtA. I think it is working OK. I tend to like games on the mechanically lighter end of the spectrum these days. I would be interested in seeing a version of Kult with mechanical support for a grittier feel in play though. Or a mechanical system agnostic set of setting sourcebooks.

Basilides

Validated User
This is one of those cases where I love the setting and hate the system. The premise and gameworld of Kult look incredible, let alone the lavish artwork - some of the best I've seen for any game anywhere. I just have a problem with PbtA's Archetypes and the system as a whole, and I can't help wondering if the simplicity and ready-to-play plus points of PbtA are kind of nixed in as complex and detailed a setting as Kult's.
I know that there are people that don't enjoy the PbtA system that have played KULT with the Delta Green rules. Personally I find that the rules works great with the setting. It is quick and a combat scene does not drag on forever. Also, I do think that the system is much closer to trad (at least for the GM) than in any other PbtA system.

My aha experience when I was gamemastering KULT: Divinity Lost for a completely new group of players. They had never played RPGs before. We played Oakwood Heights which is free to download and with pre-made characters. And it worked like a charm. It was in fact easier for the completely new players to accept how the rules worked than the veteran role player that was part of the group. He was really in trad thoughts and wanted to roll for initiative etcetera.

The drawback as I see it is that an inexperienced Gamemaster will have quite a handful of choices first time playing KULT so I guess that can feel overwhelming. You need to make a lot of decision based on the fiction and how you wish to progress and not push the moves to hard.

pstjmack

Validated User
I know that there are people that don't enjoy the PbtA system that have played KULT with the Delta Green rules. Personally I find that the rules works great with the setting. It is quick and a combat scene does not drag on forever. Also, I do think that the system is much closer to trad (at least for the GM) than in any other PbtA system.

My aha experience when I was gamemastering KULT: Divinity Lost for a completely new group of players. They had never played RPGs before. We played Oakwood Heights which is free to download and with pre-made characters. And it worked like a charm. It was in fact easier for the completely new players to accept how the rules worked than the veteran role player that was part of the group. He was really in trad thoughts and wanted to roll for initiative etcetera.

The drawback as I see it is that an inexperienced Gamemaster will have quite a handful of choices first time playing KULT so I guess that can feel overwhelming. You need to make a lot of decision based on the fiction and how you wish to progress and not push the moves to hard.
Given that DG in all its incarnations is practically my favourite system, that sounds a real recommendation.

Alex_P

the cat respecter
Validated User
Imagine how much of a drag it would be to play Kult with a system like NWOD's big chart of ghost states, though.

I think the system largely succeeds at delivering both "open-ended" and "visceral," which means the fundamental design hit its mark pretty well. Combat gets pretty scrappy, supernatural enemies aren't restricted to a narrow and easily-studied set of abilities, there's broad room to plunge into horror or surreality without a lot of friction from the "simulation." The main mechanical rough spots, imo, are:
1. The discretionary character abilities vary in quality -- some are really inspired, others seem dull or mechanically muddled. (Also, I really like having the archetypes themselves, complete with suggested moves to simplify the character creation process, but the "take moves from this small list" restriction during level-up seems pretty pointless to me.)
2. I feel like the GM advice is missing a few core things from Apocalypse World that the game clearly expects you to be doing on some level, especially given how the monster write-ups are structured.
3. I'd argue the social moves aren't "pushy" enough.

My impression is that you can build a solid, close-to-100% "canonical" campaign arc using the Influences chapter without spending a lot of time reading the actual details about the universe outside Elysuim until you really need to. Or, alternatively, you can throw out half the metaphysical "map" and still enjoy the themes.

Menchi

Validated User
I am loving this edition of Kult - rules, setting, and all. But I have to admit the amazing art does sometimes become really challenging to look at. There have been a couple of characters my stomach churned a little when I looked at their pictures. :D

Really looking forward to running this when I find the right group for it.

Conan

Basilides

Validated User

Basilides

Validated User
I am loving this edition of Kult - rules, setting, and all. But I have to admit the amazing art does sometimes become really challenging to look at. There have been a couple of characters my stomach churned a little when I looked at their pictures. :D

Really looking forward to running this when I find the right group for it.

Conan
I listened to a podcast interview with Mud and Blood I think and the Creative Director and Writer of the Mythos said that he did not see them as disturbing but rather beautiful. So I guess working with KULT makes you a bit bent :)

Basilides

Validated User
Imagine how much of a drag it would be to play Kult with a system like NWOD's big chart of ghost states, though.

I think the system largely succeeds at delivering both "open-ended" and "visceral," which means the fundamental design hit its mark pretty well. Combat gets pretty scrappy, supernatural enemies aren't restricted to a narrow and easily-studied set of abilities, there's broad room to plunge into horror or surreality without a lot of friction from the "simulation." The main mechanical rough spots, imo, are:
1. The discretionary character abilities vary in quality -- some are really inspired, others seem dull or mechanically muddled. (Also, I really like having the archetypes themselves, complete with suggested moves to simplify the character creation process, but the "take moves from this small list" restriction during level-up seems pretty pointless to me.)
2. I feel like the GM advice is missing a few core things from Apocalypse World that the game clearly expects you to be doing on some level, especially given how the monster write-ups are structured.
3. I'd argue the social moves aren't "pushy" enough.

My impression is that you can build a solid, close-to-100% "canonical" campaign arc using the Influences chapter without spending a lot of time reading the actual details about the universe outside Elysuim until you really need to. Or, alternatively, you can throw out half the metaphysical "map" and still enjoy the themes.
I think that a Trad system in many ways would kill KULT for me. At least if it gets bogged down in combat. But that is just me and if people want to explore it I think it is completely fine.

Just since I am curious. What parts of Apocalypse World do you feel are missing?

And when it comes to a canon campaign I do not agree that you can just use the Influence chapters. Well, I guess you can. But I think that knowing the mythos truly helps. The game sort of needs the depth.

Top Bottom