• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Labyrinth RPG Announced

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

So, this is one of my favorite movies EVAR, and if the book is pretty I would probably buy it as an artifact even if I didn't intend to play it.

But I know nothing of Questing Beast. What else have they made that's good? Is anyone else so excited they are vibrating?

Yeah, I don't have much actual stuff to write here, I'm just ludicrously excited and I figured at least a few other people on the board would be equally enthused.

Mordrid

Oddity
Validated User
I heard rumors that a Labyrinth RPG might be in the works. I am extremely excited for it. My wife had already saw this on twitter and informed me that this will be bought, I have no choice.

Mordrid

Oddity
Validated User
Looks like its being published by River Horse Games, the same company who did Tails of Equestria. Appears they have a few Labyrinth based board games as well under their belt.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've got a friend or two who are pretty big Labyrinth fans, and thus I'm interested, but I also can't help being a little concerned about how you turn the film into a whole RPG. I could easily see doing a Dark Crystal game, but to me Labyrinth doesn't immediately lend itself to roleplaying games.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The twitter thread actually does give some details.

Apparently the RPG consists of a short section of rules, and then the major body of the text is made up of a single module, which is the titular Labyrinth.

The 13-hour-clock theme sticks, and you play through one scene/challenge/room/whatever per hour. So at the end of 13 hours, you either get there or don't. I'm not sure if you'd always be playing the same canon characters or not.

It's being created by River Horse Games, who have created the overall structure and mechanics. I'm writing 90% of the adventure, which will be most of the book. 90 interlinked scenes full of OSR-style challenges. Definitely not OSR rules, though.

You'll only get to see about 1/3 of the scenes on each run, as you roll a die to see which scene you discover next. Linking the scenes create a new Labyrinth map with each playthrough. Almost every scene has random generators that add new twists, so no two games will be the same.

Mechanics are very simple, perfect for new players and new DMs (excuse me, "Goblin Kings"), and there's a 13 hour clock slowly ticking down throughout the adventure. Don't beat the game in time and you LOSE. Start over and try to get farther.

Tons of attention is being paid to layout. Each scene is a two page spread, with everything you need to know right there in front of you. You'll use a bookmark to track your progress through the book as you solve more challenges.
So that's different.

The conceit of an RPG that is really just one adventure has been done before, but not often. I'm thinking of The Mountain Witch.

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, so it's a replayable one shot. Almost like an extension of the fact that they've been doing Labyrinth board games, or like old school tournament modules. That does sound like fun, and definitely a nice potential for an intro to RPGs.

Top Bottom