[Lacuna Part I: The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl from Blue City] Scenarios?

cappadocius

Banned
Re: [Lacuna Part I: The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl from Blue City] Scenario

Sadly, Lacuna seems to be one of those great indie games done more as art project than playable game, so, no, I'm unaware of any adventures for it. Which is a shame.

Odie

If only she could breathe
Validated User
Re: [Lacuna Part I: The Creation of the Mystery and the Girl from Blue City] Scenario

What he said. I'm convinced that Lacuna requires about 10% more revision to be a smash hit (for me), and one day I mean to sit down and noodle out what that 10% would look like, but it was definitely an art-project type of game. It doesn't seem like the kind of game which was ever intended to have scenarios released for it.

-B

thekelvingreen

Antagonist
Validated User

Balls. I've seen actual play threads and game summaries for it, so I was hoping someone might have written something down. Thanks anyway!

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Pity; i was looking for the same thing myself.

The Eye

is podcast...
Validated User

I've got one that I used for a Halloween game. It's really easy to set up scenarios and play through them. I've played the scenario twice, and it ended up quite different both times. I made some "in-character" pdfs with character creation, rules, mentors, and the hostile personality, a note page with "what's really going on" to give you an idea of where to take the game.

I love Lacuna. It's one of my top 5 games; every time I've played it, it's been great. As the GM, you just have to be flexible. Contradictory information is a key; sometimes things just don't make sense in Blue City. In my first run of the scenario, the party split up (hooray!) and each group found clues and information that didn't make any sense with what the other group found.

It's a game that is supposed to be customized for the group that is playing it. The book implies that there is a single "here's what is happening in the setting" explanation, but there isn't. It's whatever you decide to piece together from the random bits like missing agents, the girl, the spider men, and the like.

Is anyone interested? I don't have the scenario hosted anywhere, but I could hand it out, I think.

Odie

If only she could breathe
Validated User

It's a perfectly playable and fun game on its own; I encourage you to just jump in and run with it! Reading Actual Plays after I'd run the game actually confused me more. The game feels like a Rorschach test to me, and having scenarios and such may just defeat the purpose of Lacuna.

-B

Edit: Cross-posted with The Eye, not intended to negate what s/he said, etc.

The Eye

is podcast...
Validated User

The game feels like a Rorschach test to me, and having scenarios and such may just defeat the purpose of Lacuna.

-B

Edit: Cross-posted with The Eye, not intended to negate what s/he said, etc.
I think an individual scenario is like a Rorschach test, where as the entire game is like a stack of Rorschach test cards and a training course in how to interpret what people say. The scenario that I've put together gives the players a lot of options with how to approach the problem and what they can do in reaction to it. It is a one-shot, but it can give a good experience with figuring out what actually playing the game is like.

erithromycin

Validated User

I ran a Lacuna session for five (six) agents and kept documentation that may be of use. Without giving too much away, the HP was a reflection of someone, rather than a direct HP. I have converted it to pdf and bundled it and some other things in a zipfile.

Lacuna is about handing your players rope. It's "say yes or throw the dice". Static gives you something to do as GM. Pick at them. What they want will emerge.

Here are the notes I ran it with:

Code:
The River
The Country
The Conflict
Abbatoir, Boxer, Cafe, Diamond Square, Factory, Glassworks
The Zoo (arboretum), The Racetrack, The Subway, The Tram, The Cafe, The Crater, The Kiosk

Static:

1 - an Agent fails their first roll when attempting an action
1 - an Agent uses a technique (other than Seniority)
1 - an Agent is insubordinate to the leader or fails to perform an order
1 - an Agent sharpens a pencil
1 - an Agent consumes food or drink within Blue City or outwith Control
1 - divulging personal information

2 - Agents come into conflict with each other (+2 for Agent/Agent roll, +1 for each additional)
1 - Agents encounter one or more Spidermen (+1)

TEN OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO
TWE OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO
THI OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO
FOR OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO OOO

000 - NO ST@TiC

010 - clouds darken. it is still raining
030 - clarence boscoe has news of 'the conflict'
050 - first hp sighting (if has not occured)
070 - the sensation that your teeth are loose in your head
090 - posters become propaganda

100 - control is eating a sandwich

011 - agent trapp
013 - coffee time
017 - air raid
019 - rubble co-exists with the buildings

200 - martial law is declared it is agent trapp

023 - spidermens
In the end the 4 HP that I had intended to be fractions or bad photocopies of the original became artifacts of a Black Level process in mythography. Also possibly an Agent. They shot down a plane. They drank coffee that I gave them. I put out differently blue dice and a blue dish and watched them become paranoid. I ate a sandwich when it was time to eat a sandwich. They went to the front, and came back. It got complicated, and then something fell out of it. I divided them by making two agents senior and giving them contradictory orders. There was a 'thank you' card marked "Cock Crow" that they thought to open at sunrise. It might as well have been when they met a pair of double(d) agent(s).

You don't "adventure" in Blue City. You create an HP. You create a static table. You let your players tell you what they think is happening, and some of it is true.

If they want a gunfight they will start a gunfight. I thought mine would. I prepared. If they want to find a clue see where they look. Lacuna is minimal in preparation. The fun, I find, is to create artifacts and put them on the table. Meaning will be created.

Last edited:

The Eye

is podcast...
Validated User

You don't "adventure" in Blue City. You create an HP. You create a static table. You let your players tell you what they think is happening, and some of it is true.

If they want a gunfight they will start a gunfight. I thought mine would. I prepared. If they want to find a clue see where they look. Lacuna is minimal in preparation. The fun, I find, is to create artifacts and put them on the table. Meaning will be created.
Definitely. The basic "Lacuna" session is a Hostile Personality profile, with a couple of clues about their MO, and then insertion into Blue City. The players interpret the clues they have to go looking for other clues, and eventually they find the HP, stick it with their Lacuna device (destroying the HP) and eject out.

That basic structure allows for a lot of different twists. Maybe the HP appears to be someone they know. Maybe they get secretly contacted by another part of the agency about a conspiracy. Maybe they work to slowly and encounter the spider men. Maybe they encounter contradictory information, or wander into an off-limits part of Blue City and see something they shouldn't have. Maybe they encounter something utterly terrifying and have to eject before they can process what was happening.

It's really not hard! It just takes some flexibility and improvisation. The players do a lot of steering when you explain the basic concept of "HP hunters."

Top Bottom