• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Larian Studios (Divinity: OS) teases Baldur's Gate 3

ihatevnecks

Validated User
So at this point it's confirmed both in the page source code and by Jason Schreier in the article, but Larian Studios just teased a website for Baldur's Gate 3. This is pretty damn exciting for me; that series is easily my favorite CRPG series of all time, and one of my favorite game series period. Not far behind it are the Divinity: Original Sin games, so this is a match made in heaven to me.

Morty

Validated User
Not to start this thread on a downer note, but I'm not thrilled. I haven't really liked any of Larian's output that I've played, which was Divinity 2 and DOS2. More than that, Baldur's Gate should just be allowed to rest. Siege of Dragonspear already felt like overdoing it.

ihatevnecks

Validated User
I don't necessarily expect that calling this Baldur's Gate 3 will actually mean it ties into the previous games' story. Wizards have shown they just love throwing that city name around because it's the most popular outside the D&D crowd; they're even using it for the next D&D campaign that primarily takes place in Avernus.

At most I'm just expecting the game to start in or around Baldur's Gate and for it to be maybe one of the cities you go to. But yeah, I'd definitely prefer they take us somewhere else in the Realms, preferably someplace that doesn't make them feel obligated to use Minsc yet again.

DuckFate

Bonafide Quack
Validated User
I loved the Baldur’s Gate series, but the story of Bhaal’s children was wrapped up very neatly. Not sure where they could take it without it feeling like a Star Wars Christmas special.

Geoff8733

Validated User
Larian don't really fill me with confidence that they can deliver a Baldur's Gate 3 that I'm going to be able to enjoy as a BG game.

Out of the recent real time with pause RPGs Pathfinder Kingmaker is the only one that has managed to scratch the same itch for me. And most of them haven't been made by people new to the genre. Larian have made fun action RPGs and fun turn based RPGs, so I'm sure whatever they put out will be a good game. But they're not just making a new game, they're making BG 3, and that has been a pretty hard mark to hit even for the folks that made BG.

Nessalantha

Validated User
Well, I'm going to buck the trend and see this makes me want to squee, if it is true. I'd even play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 over again if it were built on D:OS2's engine.

I absolutely loved DoS2, so I'm fully behind them doing something similar in the vein of Baldur's Gate -- D:OS 2 was practically a Balder's Gate game anyway, with all the stuff about failing gods and apotheosis.

Morty

Validated User
Yes, I imagine it's quite likely that the game uses the name Baldur's Gate for recognition and has little or nothing to do with the old saga. One wonders what ruleset it will use. D&D 5E? Larian's own mechanics? Will it be RtwP or turn-based?

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
Yeah, when I compare Kingmaker to DOS2, I VASTLY prefer DOS2, as it's muuuuch less clunky and forced-old-school-with-all-the-bad-parts.

Larian are also excellent at post-launch support and actually improving their games instead of just patching bugs.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
...aren't there extensive modding tools for the "Divinity" games? Regardless of how you feel about their ability to make a fun base game, a way of creating your own D&D adventure modules with D&D 5e rules and assets might be worth investigating.

Are there any good articles on what their modding system can and cannot do?

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
They recently were able to release a Schwarze Auge Dungeon as a freebie, so... Pretty extensive tools. ;)

Top Bottom