• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Larian Studios (Divinity: OS) teases Baldur's Gate 3

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Ah well. It's nice. They're picking up on one of the dangling Baldur's Gate plot threads! Classy!

("The Hidden" never got explained, and the Illithid base in the Temple District Sewers really never got explained)
It is my fervent hope for BG3 to parlay into an ongoing D&D game series that is more about the city of Baldur's Gate and the greater Sword Coast region, expanding on the Hidden and the mind flayer lair as part of that bridge, and only touch on the Bhaalspawn saga in more than a "godlings tore up the place years ago" kind of way.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
You know what? I'm actually kind of hoping Minsc doesn't show up. I loved the guy back in the day, but even as a meme I think he's done his dash. Let him join Dynaheir in the great evil-butt-kicking contest in the sky.

...although if we are getting Spelljammers, we will need a space hamster to power the Gnomish ship...

Mira

follows rivers
Validated User
You know what? I'm actually kind of hoping Minsc doesn't show up. I loved the guy back in the day, but even as a meme I think he's done his dash. Let him join Dynaheir in the great evil-butt-kicking contest in the sky.

...although if we are getting Spelljammers, we will need a space hamster to power the Gnomish ship...
This is where I'm at as well.
I dont mind some nods and hints to the series that show us that this is a sequel to the previous games in more than just the name. But at the same time, I'd rather like BG3 to stand on it's own and be approachable for players who're not intimately familiar with the older installments. :)

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
I just don't want to be like the Drizzit books where "it's a century later but don't worry we've done a hand wave ass pull so all the characters you remember haven't aged at all and we can pick up exactly where we left off."

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Mind you, I think they already established that Minsc survived the great timeskip somehow.

Edit: yes, he was resurrected and/or unpetrified by a wild magic surge in the 1480s, so he and Boo are known to be alive and adventuring in 5e time.

Last edited:

jimthegray

Validated User

Interestingly hes actually alive and kicking current time line due to being a statue for a while but I'm good either way on if he shows or not

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
I just don't want to be like the Drizzit books where "it's a century later but don't worry we've done a hand wave ass pull so all the characters you remember haven't aged at all and we can pick up exactly where we left off."
I imagine it went down something like this:

"You’re looking younger than the last time I saw you."
"Found a fountain of youth in Ronguay. You?"
"Stuck in a timeless demon dimension."
"Haha, which one? Pandemonium or Demigorgona?"
"Demigorgona - went to stop an uprising."
"Get out! I caused that uprising!"

Top Bottom