• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Larian Studios (Divinity: OS) teases Baldur's Gate 3

Gogmagog

Validated User
I just don't want to be like the Drizzit books where "it's a century later but don't worry we've done a hand wave ass pull so all the characters you remember haven't aged at all and we can pick up exactly where we left off."
I seem to recall Minsc got turned into a statue at one point and unstoned years later.

Last edited:

justified

Skeptical Simian
Validated User
Elves, dwarves, gnomes and maybe half-elves could all still legitimately be around. So, running down the list of BG2 companions: Aerie, Viconia, Korgan, Jan Jansen, maybe Jaheria? I doubt any of them would show up as more than a cameo, though.

Vault Dweller

Bard of Hope
Validated User
Elves, dwarves, gnomes and maybe half-elves could all still legitimately be around. So, running down the list of BG2 companions: Aerie, Viconia, Korgan, Jan Jansen, maybe Jaheria? I doubt any of them would show up as more than a cameo, though.
As powerful human wizards with recourse to various arcane means of life-extension, Edwin and Nalia could potentially still be kicking around and physically youthful.

justified

Skeptical Simian
Validated User
As powerful human wizards with recourse to various arcane means of life-extension, Edwin and Nalia could potentially still be kicking around and physically youthful.
Sure, and Edwin could also be a lich. But again, if they're that powerful they're going to be cameos at most (assuming BG3 starts off at a low level).

Minsc's general obliviousness lets you handwave away stuff like, "Didn't you used to be much higher level?" other characters not so much.

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
I am cautiously optimistic, though not because of the title. In fact I'm most worried that they'll try and force the story of Baldur's Gate to continue in a ham-fisted fashion (see Diablo 3's Black Soul Stone). The story of Bhaal's essence is, as far as I'm concerned, complete. But, if they avoid doing that, and instead start telling a new story (which can certainly have links to the original series) then that's great.

I'll admit a part of me was a little disappointed to hear it would be turned based. I am one of those weirdos who likes RTwP. But I like turned based too and I think it would be mistake for Larian to move away from what they know (plus, I think us weirdos are very much in the minority).

So here's hoping for a good D&D campaign, set in Baldur's Gate, that occasionally performs fan service for fans of the original game.

Top Bottom