• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Larian Studios (Divinity: OS) teases Baldur's Gate 3

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
Abdel Adrian constitutes the canonical implementation of the Bhaalspawn's story.
Don't remind me. I actually read the first Baldur's Gate book. It was... not great.

That said, if they use the name, but avoid any of the actual backstory beyond "human fighter who didn't become a god" that's not awful.

Njorhg

Validated User
Don't remind me. I actually read the first Baldur's Gate book. It was... not great.

That said, if they use the name, but avoid any of the actual backstory beyond "human fighter who didn't become a god" that's not awful.
Well, he has been dead for like 10 years in the official timeline. Bhaal's back too, as a consequence of the last Bhaalspawn dying, so if there is anything involving Bhaal it's more likely to be around his return. Abdel's just a historical figure now.

Last edited:

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
Well, he has been dead for like 17 years in the official timeline. Bhaal's back too, as a consequence of the last Bhaalspawn dying, so if there is anything involving it it's more likely to be around his return. Abdel's just a historical figure now.
Just so long as they don't bring up any of the cornier parts from the book, I can live with that.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
Do the novel's events get that much attention in Forgotten Realms canon? I've been thinking about it along the lines Morty does above, that BG3 will probably barely reference the Bhaalspawn saga.

Kiiratam

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So far as I know, no one touched the Bhaalspawn saga until Murder in Baldur's Gate, for D&D Encounters. Where they canonized Abdel. I mean, yes, we had the novels, but there's no mention of anything in the various FR sourcebooks I read between then and now. Which, you know, is probably the right way to go about it. If you care enough about BG to bring it into your tabletop game, you kinda have to do the work yourself.

I absolutely understand why they made a canonical decision there. It's not like with the protagonists of KotOR 1 & 2, where Bioware could have left things completely ambiguous (but instead shot themselves in the foot, because Reasons). Baldur's Gate is a major Sword Coast port, and BG1 causes a lot of chaos there. BG2 is more clandestine, but ToB is potentially table-flipping, divinity-wise. Which is why The New Lord of Murder was never going to be Official Canon. No way to do it, really.

My objections are solely limited to Abdel Adrian, a meat-headed, thud-and-blunder protagonist who meanders through two great games, missing every bit of wit and charm in the originals. The book repeatedly wastes good characters*, mediocre characters, plots, scenes, devices... The only thing even vaguely resembling a good thing to come out of the books is that there's a skeevy scene with Imoen and a female drow, and the fanfic writers decided 'maybe Imoen likes girls?' They may not even be a connection there, but it's the closest thing I can give to a compliment.

I mean, ultimately? The Bhaalspawn saga is over. This is Baldur's Gate 3 solely for name recognition. Which, given 5E's efforts to incorporate classic material, makes sense. I'd like Larian Studios to make the best D&D game they can, because then we'll get more D&D games.

*Minsc is in the novels. He lacks characterization. How do you even manage that? His character is too large to miss. He's two steps away from being a cartoon character.

Patchwork

Validated User
I absolutely understand why they made a canonical decision there. It's not like with the protagonists of KotOR 1 & 2, where Bioware could have left things completely ambiguous (but instead shot themselves in the foot, because Reasons).
A lot of that wasn't down to Bioware. Revans canonical gender and ending came from the book 'The New Essential Chronology' and the Exiles from the book 'The New Essential Guide to Droids'. I think they did give the canonical name of Meetra Surik for the Exile though. How badly both were later used is all down to Bioware though.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, I hope they keep it vague or do what KotoR 2 did and let you pick. I can understand if they go for the official canon and they do have the excuse that it wasn't their idea to make Abdul Adrian official canon but just going vague instead doesn't take anything away from the game.

DrFaust

Roll away the dew.
Validated User
I mean, ultimately? The Bhaalspawn saga is over. This is Baldur's Gate 3 solely for name recognition. Which, given 5E's efforts to incorporate classic material, makes sense. I'd like Larian Studios to make the best D&D game they can, because then we'll get more D&D games.
That is pretty much my hope. I thought Beamdog's Siege of Dragonspear was a good first attempt at using the Infinity Engine for a slice of adventuring life on the Sword Coast, and am hoping BG3 can move the ball even further in terms of widening the scope of the series.

Top Bottom