• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Larian Studios (Divinity: OS) teases Baldur's Gate 3

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
If they take a page from Pillars of Eternity 2 and actually implement turn-based play, I may actually finish the game one day. Before I quit playing to do Red Dead Redemption (among others), I would basically turn down the combat to "so easy a toddler could win" because I found tactics impossible. I would have had the same trouble with the first two Dragon Age games, but they had the decency to add in an option to fully program all the combatants.
Eh? You go into the options, have the game pause at the end of each turn. Turn-based.
Edit: Or were you referring to the Divinity games?

SelectiveHonesty

Validated User
I could see it as a 4x game maybe? The event of the game happen you become a god and boom the Catastraphy (or whatever they call it) happens, not every thing is in ruins and you have to take your priesthood and make a Theocracy based on your alignment more a 4x game with RPG elements then Kingmakers RPG with kingdom layer.

I mean BG is already well off Canon Faruin so might as well run with it as an elseworld.

Memona

Corgi King
Validated User
I can dig it. I can see Baldur's Gate 3 being about to successor of the main character, maybe even bodily progeny, running about trying to start a real church or cult.

I went to the website to check the offical news, and it appears Baldur's Gate for consoles is coming out September 27th, along with Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale. NWN has a release date for December.

Nessalantha

Validated User
Eh? You go into the options, have the game pause at the end of each turn. Turn-based.
Edit: Or were you referring to the Divinity games?
PoE2 has an update which allows for actual Turn-based play. I'm not sure how well it was implemented since I've not seen reviews or played it.

Phantom Grunweasel

Situation Normal Oll Korrect
Validated User
I think it's worth asking exactly what we would want from Baldur's Gate 3. As people have pointed out, it's not as though the series ended on a huge cliffhanger or with a lot of dangling loose ends. For better or for worse (I don't love Throne of Bhaal, personally), the story of the children of Bhaal is concluded.

It might be worth noting that the earlier attempt at a Baldur's Gate 3, The Black Hound, had no story connection whatsoever to the original game and wasn't even set on the Sword Coast.

So, besides the details of the setting, characters, and story, what qualities make a Baldur's Gate game for you?

In my case, what I'd want would be:

1) A mixture of cartoonish humour and high camp with intense character-based drama. It's a hard balance to find.

2) A huge, overstuffed game-world filled with flavour and absurd one-off characters and little mysteries and strangenesses and subplots and inscrutable in-jokes. Word is that the Baldur's Gate team drew heavily on their own D&D campaigns for material, as well as the swords and sorcery stories of Jack Vance and Fritz Leiber. I love that crazy, colourful, self-indulgent, incoherent patchwork, I love the sense that every single random assassin or adventuring party who attacks you has their own improbable backstory, probably recorded in immense detail in somebody's high school spiral notebook.

3) A combat system that's enjoyable and accessible, but preserves at least a couple of the quirks and eccentricities of old-school D&D, that gives you something to explore and think about as opposed to being basically targeting one opponent after another with your cursor, selecting your most powerful attack, and clicking until they're dead.

4) Magically turning back time and temporarily reverting me to the swords & sorcery-obsessed teenager I was when I first played these games.

Now, I'm optimistic because although I haven't yet played Divinity: Original Sin 2, everything I've heard about it suggests that 1, 2, and 3 are Larian Studios' whole thing. They just seem like the right fit for the property. And I kind of hope they won't be too respectful to it, either. I like Beamdog's new Baldur's Gate NPCs (well, I liked the only one I used) and I liked Siege of Dragonspear but it's a little bit... reverent? Siege feels like a work of Talmudic scholarship on the Infinity Engine games, not an addition to the canon in its own right.

As for the story, it doesn't matter as much to me. I wouldn't want a continuation of the story of Gorion's ward, but something like Rabbit Eclair suggests; a next-generation story dealing with the fallout from the Bhaalspawn saga, with companions from the original series as occasional mentors and cameos, would work just fine. I also wouldn't object to a whole new story and setting a la The Black Hound.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
A smart way of doing it would be to have the new PC shape the fate of the previous BG protag through dialogue, much like was done in KOTOR 2 - that is, you get the chance to talk about what your PC thinks happened to Gorion's ward, and that turns out to be the actual story.
Bonus points if the PC isn't voiced but everyone else is. :D

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
If they take a page from Pillars of Eternity 2 and actually implement turn-based play, I may actually finish the game one day. Before I quit playing to do Red Dead Redemption (among others), I would basically turn down the combat to "so easy a toddler could win" because I found tactics impossible. I would have had the same trouble with the first two Dragon Age games, but they had the decency to add in an option to fully program all the combatants.
Not included in the Enhanced Edition as far as I'm aware (though they are still announcing features so, who knows! A lot of people have asked for it, especially since PoE2 did it). However, there is a mod for that.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm so buying this day one. I loved DOS 2, and BG is one of my best gaming memories...

Top Bottom