• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

LARPing for fun and profit?

Higher Grounds

Validated User
No, not really. I'm honestly just thinking that I've always kind of wanted to join a fantasy style LARP but I've noticed that it always costs money and winds up being in a land far far away from me. I'm checking out lists right now, but I'm beginning to think LARPing just may not be in the cards for me!

IdiotSavant

Validated User
Of course it costs money. Venues, food and gear aren't free, which means ultimately the participants have to pay for them.

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
Considering what you usually pay for a weekend festival of any other kind with camping, £50-100 for a LARP event is actually pretty damn reasonable.

Last year I ran a sanctioned event at a youth centre for Empire LRP in the UK, and our costs came to around £40 per person plus whatever I wanted my food, prop, costume &c budget to be. That was on the shoestring side. If I'd wanted to use a period-looking site or anywhere with both indoor sleeping and space for outdoor activities, or if I'd wanted more than a very few cast members (I don't like making people pay to come help me organise an event!) then it would have been more like £60-80.

Last edited:

Casidhe

Social Justice Magus
Validated User
It also depends on where you are. There is a local (ish) fantasy game that I used to go to that runs day linears in a public bit of woodland, and only charges a fiver, to cover monster kit costs. They can also lend out kit to new people so they can check that it is something they really want to do before they invest in any kit.

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
It also depends on where you are. There is a local (ish) fantasy game that I used to go to that runs day linears in a public bit of woodland, and only charges a fiver, to cover monster kit costs. They can also lend out kit to new people so they can check that it is something they really want to do before they invest in any kit.
Yeah, there is certainly that. Our university LARP game relies on subsidised room hire and public land, and uses donated / shoestring equipment, and the subscription is something like a couple of pounds per evening.

If you're UK based there's almost certainly a LARP at a nearish university, and most of them don't care if you're a student or not so long as you're 18 or older.

Last edited:
Top Bottom