• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Latin advice again

Bicorn

Validated User
I was browsing stuff a while ago about the old Warren horror comics, and something caught into my mind. At least one writer had a of recurring bit where transformation spells were given the chant "Rega flexis mur". Now, as far as I can tell this is dog-Latin, so of course I started thinking about how to turn it into a proper Latin phrase. As far as I can guess, the components go like this:
Rega: misspelling of regō (I rule).
Flexis: dative or ablative plural of flexus (bent/turned), possibly meant to be some form of flectō (I turn).
Mur: likely intended to be some inflection of mūs (mouse/rat), as in the first appearance of the chant that I know of it was used to turn a bunch of people into rats.
So what would be correct Latin for something like "I command you to turn into rats"? Bonus points if it somewhat resembles the chant used in the comic, so one could believably claim the comic version is a corruption of the original.

1of3

Validated User
Murem/-es esse iubeo. - Depending on whether you adress one or more people.

creases

Validated User
Singular: "te murem fieri iubeo"
Plural: "vos mures fieri iubeo"

("Esse" is "to be", you want "fieri" = "to become")

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
Singular: "te murem fieri iubeo"
Plural: "vos mures fieri iubeo"

("Esse" is "to be", you want "fieri" = "to become")
Sure, but if you want to emphasize the state of being transformed instead of the process, you could use the perfective (“factum sis mus” vel “in murem sis mutatus”). The perfect is primarily stative and only functions as a past tense by extension.

Top Bottom