• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Least essential RPG

Dan Davenport

Hardboiled GMshoe
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Misguided said:
Fair enough. I haven't actually read War's End, though it sits on the shelf behind me.
Based upon the comprehensive plot review of it that I read, you're probably better off. Apparently, it consists mainly of the PCs wandering magically from place to place to witness the loose ends of the metaplot being abruptly tied up one after the other without any meaningful involvment on their part.

Jared A. Sorensen

Banned
Mithras said:
The fun is living up the life as a perp in MC1, organizing a gang, setting up block wars, putting money into crazy-ass scams and dodging richochet rubber bullets when it all goes pear-shaped. The perps had all the personality, were always larger than life. They really reflect the personality of MC1 itself.
Exactly! The perps are where it is AT. Man, the whole point isn't that the perps in MC-1 are evil criminal types...most of the time they're just incredibly bored, unemployed folks who have nothing else to do with their time.

And unlike real-life, the Judges are so far above the perps as far as skill and equipment, well...imagine being a criminal in that environment. You KNOW you're gonna have your ass handed to you...that could set up lots of ironic and funny situations.

- J

Marco

Validated User
JD-Perps

Being a J-Dred fan (and having bought the game ...) I agree: being a perp would be ideal (for playability as a Judge it seemed to me you hadda be a 'wacky' Psi-Judge ... and that blew the satire and then didn't work real well).

I could see the makings of a real cool game where your perp wagered a dice pool (or something) of "breaks" when doing crimes--eventually your luck would run out and the Judges would get you. It could be a good competitive game with the different players describing their crimes and then hitting the role-mechanic to see which scenes they had to play out ... until that final showdown with the judges and the (almost) inevitval ending in Resyke or an Isocube ...

-Marco

Matthew Gabbert

Longtime Lurker
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dan Davenport said:
Apparently, it consists mainly of the PCs wandering magically from place to place to witness the loose ends of the metaplot being abruptly tied up one after the other without any meaningful involvment on their part.
Gah! That sounds a lot like the monthly Amber DRPG campaign I've been slogging through for nearly two years!

-- Matthew Gabbert

Balthazor

Charismatic Separatist
Validated User
Good old Judge Dredd. I loved the comics, and I thought the game had some good things going for it. It was very well done and extremely complete. And I thought the mechanics were quite good as well, though it's been a while since I read the game so my memory may be fuzzy. The only problem with the game was that there was little chance of it ever, ever being fun for more than a few hours. It makes a great one-shot, though. But any kind of extended campaign would have to be among the most redundant and boring things possible.

Top Bottom