• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Least essential RPG

eXyse

Validated User
> Star Frontiers (sorry. Traveller did it first, and better.)

Bah. Traveller bites radioactive scorpions. "You can die during character creation." There's a concept I'm glad never took off. ^_^

Godfather Punk

Oh dear, how sad, nevermind
Validated User
It feels wrong if <i>Xena & Hercules RPG</i> shouldn't make this list. The GM manual was a pain to read, the character sheets were uncopyable. In all a badly executed game for a licence that had more potential.

Of course it's easy to kick somebody when he's down, like WEG was at the time.

GP -

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
How about 'Tunnels and Trolls'?

"I know, let's create an RPG!"

"What are we going to do in it?"

"I dunno, let's just bung in some generic fantasy stuff like TSR do ..."

Imaginos

the one you warned me of
Validated User
It's hard to say which RPG was the least influential, since I don't really remember the bland ones that much. The ones I didn't liked were influential by showing me something I didn't like. The ones I liked were influential by including something I liked. So the ones that impacted me the least are the ones I am most likely to forget.

Jared A. Sorensen

Banned
Mithras said:
Judge Dredd.

Why?

Being a super-fascist lawman carrying out on-the-spot executions after a bit of flimsy investigation. You play a judge. That's all. That's it. I was disappointed.

Is it just me or do most 'Mericans miss the point that the JUDGES ARE THE BAD GUYS?!?!

(Note the superfluous punctation added for emphasis)

And from what I've heard, some other company is going to sput out a new Dredd game.

Okay.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
BiggusGeekus said:
Sangrolu,

Industry vs. Personal. Good point.

Revenant,

I thought T&T predated Dungeons & Dragons?
I might predate AD&D, but I don't think it predates Chainmail, which was essentially the same thing.

eXyse

Validated User
Jared, Mithras was commenting on the fact that in the Judge Dredd RPG you could only play judges. Really. There were no rules for anything else.

Adding to the horribleness of the Judge Dredd RPG was the fact that there was no character customization - every starting character was exactly the same. (iirc, it's been a long time.)

Sangrolu

Social Justice Ninja
Validated User
Revenant said:
I might predate AD&D, but I don't think it predates Chainmail, which was essentially the same thing.
It may predate AD&D, but it doesn't predate D&D.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
Tanuki said:
Jared, Mithras was commenting on the fact that in the Judge Dredd RPG you could only play judges. Really. There were no rules for anything else.

Adding to the horribleness of the Judge Dredd RPG was the fact that there was no character customization - every starting character was exactly the same. (iirc, it's been a long time.)
There were Psi-Judges as well weren't there? Or was that in a supplement?

Top Bottom