• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Legend of the Five Rings LCG Thread]

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Just got done with a month-long League at my FLGS where I emerged victorious with my Dragon monk deck :D. I find I enjoy the League format a lot more than tournaments; it's still competitive, but I like the game a lot more when I don't have to worry about going to time.

Speaking of Dragon Monks, Keepers are awesome for Monks. Being able to have weenie Monks always available for High Kicks is amazing.

Scutarii

Validated User
Just got done with a month-long League at my FLGS where I emerged victorious with my Dragon monk deck :D. I find I enjoy the League format a lot more than tournaments; it's still competitive, but I like the game a lot more when I don't have to worry about going to time.

Speaking of Dragon Monks, Keepers are awesome for Monks. Being able to have weenie Monks always available for High Kicks is amazing.
How did you build and run the deck?

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
How did you build and run the deck?
I was tweaking the deck throughout the League (we were allowed to change decks but not Clan) but by the end the build I was happiest with was Keeper of Void, with Crab alliance. Dynasty was jammed with as many Monks as I could, while I filled up Conflict with all the Monk stuff other than the mantras. Influence was spent on Mountain Does Not Fall and Reprieves. It plays less like the standard Voltron attachment dragon playstyle, but almost swarm-like with a lot of cheap Monk weenies to trigger off your Kihos. Keeper Initiates and Togashi Mitsu are centerpieces of the deck; once you have Keepers you start focusing on winning Void conflicts every round, and once Mitsu is out protect him as much as you can as he will definitely be a target. BUt it's the Monk conflict cards that are really damn good. Hawk Tatoo is amazingly versatile, High Kick is great if you have sufficient Monk weenies (and Keepers provide an endless supply), and Void Fist requires some setup but pretty much wins a conflict once you get to use it. Centipede Tatoo is easily overlook but I found it to be very useful: it lets you chump-block an attack to prevent a break without losing a body, or send out a solitary monk to scout a province and/or force your opponent to commit bodies while you focus on winning your second attack.

A caveat though is that for whatever reason I didn't play much against Scorpion during the League. I've always found Scorpion to be the toughest matchup for Dragon, and I suspect it would be tough for Dragon Monks as well. I honestly have to say the main reason why I won the League is because I didn't play against many Scorpions.

Last edited:

Tonbo_Karasu

Validated User
Re: First Poster For L5R LCG

Well, that's an interesting collection of 'coming soon' items: all Clan Packs by the end of next year, Unicorn next then Crane. Something new being announced on 10/10.

Scutarii

Validated User

Well, that's an interesting collection of 'coming soon' items: all Clan Packs by the end of next year, Unicorn next then Crane. Something new being announced on 10/10.
Interesting.

My plan was to get all the packs/expansions until they gave every clan their clan pack and then call it there for a collection. Should give me plenty of cards and options for every clan to play with in a closed, complete package. Not interested in a continual drip drip of more cards forever more.

BrianDR

Validated User

How is the game doing these days? Amazon has the core set for $17 - enough of a discount to convince me to hop in and give it a try. But such a steep discount made me worry that maybe the game wasn't doing as well as expected.

Scutarii

Validated User

How is the game doing these days? Amazon has the core set for $17 - enough of a discount to convince me to hop in and give it a try. But such a steep discount made me worry that maybe the game wasn't doing as well as expected.
I don't know how well it is doing as an overall from FFGs perspective but they've had a well fleshed out release schedule so far and, form the looks of planned releases will have at least another full year of healthy releases.

Being an LCG and more of a 'closed' ecosystem if you've got people who would play locally then buying a subset of the cards would give you a satisfying game to break out and play even if you're not willing to invest in following along with 'the meta' and getting all the new releases.

Also due to the pretty limited way clans can use cards from each other the clans themselves are largely distinct from one another, which means that you can build multiple different competitive decks for different clans out of the same single card pool with only the occasional conflict over which deck gets more copies of a neutral card.

Gameplay wise I think it's fantastic, best card game I have played.

BrianDR

Validated User

I don't know how well it is doing as an overall from FFGs perspective but they've had a well fleshed out release schedule so far and, form the looks of planned releases will have at least another full year of healthy releases.
What's out after Underhand of the Emperor? I'm not seeing anything else on FFG's upcoming page.

Top Bottom