• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Legend of the Five Rings LCG Thread]

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
Re: First Poster For L5R LCG

I'm definitely in, too! :)

It may seem silly to hope, but looking at the box gives me hope that it might be big enough to put an insert in that will allow me to store the sets up to and including this one in the box. The main game box is too small for that.

Scutarii

Validated User

Can we talk Unicorn?

I want to build a Unicorn deck as I've not done that yet. Looking at the card pool they have right now the broad theme seems to be Military Attack Attack Attack. Get bodies on the table, attack and take a province, lose a province to enemy counter attack, attack again, keep first player turn and attack yet again. Trading provinces but making sure you stay ahead of the race by making the first attack each turn or by making an additional attack (out of Hisu Mori Toride).

This seems paired with scouts and movement shenanigans - despite having a large army on the board you only move in one or two per attack then add in reinforcements with movement after the conflict has started, allowing you to fine tune your resource commitment.

However, I don't really see a lot in their card pool that makes them much good at winning the conflicts they start. Decks with control hurt them a lot, they've got some big military skill stats but an opponent likely knows that disrupting the momentum to interrupt the Unicorn tempo can disrupt their entire game plan so doing just enough to stop a province breaking (even if it means losing the ring) can be enough.

A lot of the cards I can think that would help Unicorn also risk making them super vulnerable to dishonour - Banzai (turn someone small into a province buster), Spreading the Darkness (Make someone a province buster AND deny enemy control), Captive Audience (keep everything military).

What have you learned about the Unicorn that works for you? How do you make them work? Do you think my assessment of their card pool is correct? Is the real secret to them a totally different approach?

Asklepios

Validated User

Played a couple of games vs uni last weekend at a small tourney. The one that beat me played three characters with no fate in turn 1, and broke a province that turn. I think it was four turns before he broke my stronghold, and not once did he put more than 1 fate on a character.

Meanwhile, the one that lost did the same thing, but I held firm the first turn due to a Charge and Unicorn having almost no event counterspells.

So basically seems to me that Unicorn you play fast or you collapse. You just have to get that momentum going in, especially with the new stronghold.

Tell ya what though - after Underhand (and perhaps before) any deck that isn't Scorpion is basically second tier. They are so damn scary right now.

Last edited:

Scutarii

Validated User

Played a couple of games vs uni last weekend at a small tourney. The one that beat me played three characters with no fate in turn 1, and broke a province that turn. I think it was four turns before he broke my stronghold, and not once did he put more than 1 fate on a character.

Meanwhile, the one that lost did the same thing, but I held firm the first turn due to a Charge and Unicorn having almost no event counterspells.

So basically seems to me that Unicorn you play fast or you collapse. You just have to get that momentum going in, especially with the new stronghold.

Tell ya what though - after Underhand (and perhaps before) any deck that isn't Scorpion is basically second tier. They are so damn scary right now.
Oh yeah, Scorpion were terrifying. Now they're horrifying.

Asklepios

Validated User

Deeply unimpressed with the design of Duty.

For one, I hate the so-called balancing of "Limit 1 per deck". All that makes for is stupidly high luck factors based on whether you can draw your 1x overpowered card.

For another, it is absolutely appalling that in the endgame, where it's almost a certainty that 1-1 honour bids are being traded, you can use this card to draw 5 cards and then replace a -4 honour loss with +1 honour.

I mean sure, it's no use in the early game, but the only reason a Scorpion game doesn't go down to 4 honour remaining is when one player or the other has had a total collapse of their game from horrendous bad luck. Or sure, Scorpion vs Crane.

Mind you, in the same tourney, and incredibly good player had Duty in hand against me and bid 1 anyway, knowing that my only chance of a win was a desperate all out attack on Air, and that he'd get more out of guaranteed negating my ring effect than he would from extra cards. So there is some finesse in knowing when to use the card, but damn, it is still overpowered.

Last edited:

Scutarii

Validated User

I am yet to get a game in with all the new Scorpion cards making a showing so not had to face down things like that yet.

Top Bottom