• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Legend of the Five Rings LCG Thread]

PMAvers

Validated User
We don't know yet - Children was delayed from January to February, but we have no idea about planned date for the Unicorn, let alone knock-on implications.
Back in December, at the Madrid Kotei one of the devs was there and mentioned a schedule that they were shooting for.

January would be the big-box release of Children.
March is the Unicorn clan pack.
April is Crane.
May Cycle 3 starts, and they’re back to one per month.

So while Children got pushed back, it's still possible that March the Unicorn pack can still drop.

Scutarii

Validated User
New big expansion pack is out now and I've grabbed a copy.

I want to shake up my decks a bit and will be breaking down my Phoenix Honour to build Phoenix Province Buster. Any suggestions about what cards or combos or general approach I should be going for to make a good one?

From a quick skim I am thinking of taking the Spell recycling stronghold and having Shuganja/Bushi. The honour stronghold seems...fine...but relies on honouring while the Spell one lets me maximise use of good spells. Plus the deck thinning options means I can really rapidly cycle to the optimal set of spells in hand/discard.

Rocket Propelled Grenade

Freelance Merc For Hire
RPGnet Member
Validated User
New big expansion pack is out now and I've grabbed a copy.

I want to shake up my decks a bit and will be breaking down my Phoenix Honour to build Phoenix Province Buster. Any suggestions about what cards or combos or general approach I should be going for to make a good one?

From a quick skim I am thinking of taking the Spell recycling stronghold and having Shuganja/Bushi. The honour stronghold seems...fine...but relies on honouring while the Spell one lets me maximise use of good spells. Plus the deck thinning options means I can really rapidly cycle to the optimal set of spells in hand/discard.
From what I've been hearing, Phoenix is the deck to beat right now, with Scorpion having been taken down a peg with the most recent restricted list (and I think Against the Waves was removed from it, which also helped Phoenix), and with the combo of Consumed by Five Fires and Embrace the Void being one of the best methods for removing the towers a lot of other decks like to build. I think the spell stronghold is most popular with that approach, but I don't know for sure. It's worth noting that you can use the glory stronghold as a penalty on dishonored characters as well, IIRC.

Scutarii

Validated User
From what I've been hearing, Phoenix is the deck to beat right now, with Scorpion having been taken down a peg with the most recent restricted list (and I think Against the Waves was removed from it, which also helped Phoenix), and with the combo of Consumed by Five Fires and Embrace the Void being one of the best methods for removing the towers a lot of other decks like to build. I think the spell stronghold is most popular with that approach, but I don't know for sure. It's worth noting that you can use the glory stronghold as a penalty on dishonored characters as well, IIRC.
Yes you can cause honour hits and there are a few cards that benefit from high honour even more (the magistrate for example) but Phoenix have a bit of a tougher time natively honouring or dishonouring (Benten's Blessing is the best way, a few triggered abilities on personalities or just win Fire) often though those require more setup and card advantage wise I think you'd do better with a few cheap attachments or Supernatural Storms, etc. to get the stat buffs for fewer actions/resources.

Currently thinking that Crane would be a good partner. Their spell 'The Mirror's Gaze' looks really good to combo in with things like Isawa Tadaka+Oracle of Stone (lots of discards on both sides to increase the number of events in their discard that they can't use) plus Master of Gisei Toshi to reduce the number of things they can do plus reaction speed events ignoring conditionals to give yourself real action advantage. Test of Skill to dig for Spells, fill your deck with Spells and Shugenja and focus on being able to bid low but still have loads of options while reducing theirs.

Scutarii

Validated User
Ok so, first draft of the deck. Need to cut some cards (45 in both, really want to be closer to 40) and need to get a game or two in to see how it feels.

It does a few things. Big themse is about resource advantage. Gives itself cards and maximises use of those cards - Oracle of Stone putting good but specific spells into discard so the stronghold can repeat them. Shrine Maiden (plus many spells), Forgotten Library, Naive Student to give card draw. The Mirro's Gaze to give me 'free' action usage from opponent's cards. Then the flipside to try and remove cards from the enemy hand to exacerbate the difference - Night Raid under the stronghold to pile on card pressure at the end, Isawa Tadaka (plus Oracle fo Stone to put enemy actions into the discard), Spies at Court, Magnificent Lighthouse (put events into discard to feed Tadaka). Then cards to make the actions they do manage to play less effective - Cloud the Mind, Finger of Jade, Shiba Yojimbo, Master of Gisei Toshi.

Then playing with Fate (I wanted to sneak Path of Man in there...) Seeker of Air, Embrace the Void, Vassal Fields, Manicured Gardens, Consumed by Five Fires (discard it and play from discard with Stronghold when opportune...plus Embrace the Void letting me steal enemy Fate), Inquisitive Ishika, Feral Ningyo. Hopefully they are bleeding it (which means cards from hand witha cost might not get played) while I am gaining it and getting stuff cheaper.

Then with, theoretically, bows and send home and such taken out of the equation it comes down to bashing skill numbers into each other and...I've got plenty of ways of honouring up to use my high Glory to hopefully with those.

Considering how crutch I make Tadaka I may want to add Walking the Way to get him into a province...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Spoiler: Show

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Legend of the Five Rings Deckbuilder

Deck Clan: Phoenix

Total Cards: (95)

Total Conflict: (45) Total Dynasty: (45)

Total Influence: (10/10)

Stronghold:
1x Kyūden Isawa (Disciples of the Void #1)

Role:
1x Seeker of Air (Core Set #214B)

Province: (5)
Air (2/2) Earth (1/1) Fire (1/1) Void (1/1) Water (0/1)
1x Shameful Display (Core Set #24)
1x Kiku Matsuri (Children of the Empire #1)
1x Manicured Garden (Core Set #19)
1x Night Raid (Core Set #21)
1x Vassal Fields (Children of the Empire #5)

Character [Dynasty]: (47)
3x Isawa Tadaka (Disciples of the Void #10)
3x Adept of the Waves (Core Set #84)
3x Asako Azunami (The Ebb and Flow #66)
3x Asako Tsuki (Meditations on the Ephemeral #107)
3x Ethereal Dreamer (All and Nothing #89)
3x Fire Tensai Acolyte (Children of the Empire #26)
3x Fire Tensai Initiate (Disciples of the Void #4)
3x Inquisitive Ishika (Disciples of the Void #7)
3x Isawa Masahiro (Core Set #90)
3x Master of Gisei Toshi (Fate Has No Secrets #88)
3x Naive Student (Core Set #81)
3x Prodigy of the Waves (Into the Forbidden City #46)
2x Shiba Yōjimbō (Core Set #89)
3x Solemn Scholar (Core Set #83)

Character [Conflict]: (6/10)
3x Feral Ningyo (Tainted Lands #36)
3x Shrine Maiden (For Honor and Glory #36)

Attachment: (12)
3x Cloud the Mind (Core Set #202)
3x Embrace the Void (Tears of Amaterasu #16)
2x Finger of Jade (Tears of Amaterasu #20)
2x Grasp of Earth (Core Set #173)
2x The Mirror’s Gaze (Breath of the Kami #15)

Event: (27)
3x Against the Waves (Core Set #177)
2x Banzai! (Core Set #204)
3x Benten’s Touch (Into the Forbidden City #55)
3x Clarity of Purpose (Disciples of the Void #23)
2x Consumed by Five Fires (Fate Has No Secrets #96)
3x Court Games (Core Set #206)
3x Oracle of Stone (Tainted Lands #37)
3x Soul Beyond Reproach (The Ebb and Flow #74)
2x Spies at Court (Core Set #209)
3x Supernatural Storm (Core Set #175)

Holding: (4)
2x Forgotten Library (Core Set #94)
2x Magnificent Lighthouse (For Honor and Glory #27)

Crumbs

Validated User
Tough call on what to cut. If you hit what you need then the extra cards do not matter but without those extra cards your combos are harder to pull off.

Maybe cut 3x student since you have pretty good draw without it. Possibly cut oracle of stone I dislike cards that also help an opponent and cut 1x of Touch and Embrace.

Like I said tough call.

Scutarii

Validated User
Tough call on what to cut. If you hit what you need then the extra cards do not matter but without those extra cards your combos are harder to pull off.

Maybe cut 3x student since you have pretty good draw without it. Possibly cut oracle of stone I dislike cards that also help an opponent and cut 1x of Touch and Embrace.

Like I said tough call.
The big thing with Oracle is that it draws AND discards. My discards are mostly spells which I can recycle with the stronghold. On their side though every event they discard is one I can kill with Tadaka. It's a combo I've used before and had some good luck with but combining with some more aggressive card discard (Lighthouse, Spies at Court) I'm hoping to make it a 'critical mass' kind of thing.

Might not work like I'm picturing it though, will be early on the chopping block if it doesn't test well.

Crumbs

Validated User
Just cut one maybe and it puts you at 42 cards which is managable. Yeah you can burn events but you are also burning events your opponent does not think they need to win and you might give them ones they do need.

Scutarii

Validated User
So I took the deck out for a spin last week against a friend who made a blitzy unicorn deck out of Hisu Mori Toride. They used loads f cheap bodies and a handful of cheap attachments to just keep attacking and pumping up small cards into province breakers when undefended and movement shenanigans to make sure they don’t overcommit.

Kind of a counter to my Phoenix as my deck locks down events and such really hard but lacks attachment hate.

We played twice and I won once and lost once. In both games my economy was fantastic, having multiple spare fate for almost every phase of the game and locking down their fate. However they had a lot of cheap or free attachments so lacking fate didn’t matter too much.

The card discard worked in general but the homogeneity of their cheap deck meant it didn’t matter too much.

Oracle of stone...helped me a LOT but maybe they benefitted too due to their lack of events and being able to cycle the cards with cost for ones without which undermines my Fate dominance.

Acolyte of Fire I think is an easy drop. Flipped multiple times in both games and never bought it. On paper it’s great but just never seemed an opportune moment to play it. Never used Consumed by Five Fires either despite drawing but the theory behind its inclusion I think still works and my opponent never played characters with lots of fate on them to make it really shine. Lots of one turn missile characters.

I probably should have switched dishonour in the second game rather than trying military. Final attack on their stronghold would have been really close with the forces we both had but they played that meishodo attachment that lets them move which province is being attacked and thus my forces bowed and I had nothing to stop their army taking my stronghold

Top Bottom