• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let’s Read: Underdark (4e)

AbdulAlhazred

Validated User
Oh, I'm sure we could come up with quite a few campaign ideas. How about something like a 'world' constructed by Torog. Of course its really the most vast underground vault in existence, but he's equipped it with its own Sun, Moon, etc. Of course the fun part is, its all controlled by Torog, whatever twisted thing THAT means. I'm sure its not a happy fun world... OTOH it isn't just another torture den. Maybe its a little exercise in "How things should have been."

Alter_Boy

Post Anything
Validated User
It would be interesting to have Mystara's "Hollow World" be in the centre of the PoLand world. Torog would be the slug who shakes the heaven.

junglefowl26

Validated User
Out of curiosity, what would people like to add to the Underdark when they use, either from another setting or their own ideas?

I mentioned before I would like to include the White Kingdom from the Greyhawk Underdark, possibly having them as an Underfell power that is expanding into the main world. I also liked Lolth's consort from Greyhawk, though I think I want to give him some wider domains. I think I would also include some bits from Pathfinder's Darklands, such as the names of the three levels, and the existence of jade armored psychic humans.

On campaign ideas:

I just seen some info about OUT OF THE ABYSS:RAGE OF DEMONS the new 5e adventure path.

There isn't much in the way of info yet, but it looks like it could be a good fit for the 4e Underdark conversion. Some world shaking event involving drow opening portals to the Abyss and the demons running amok.

That reminds me that I ran the Queen of the Spiders FR adventure for 3.5e years ago and had quite a bit of fun with it. PCs never got to the actual city but I remember running the underdark encounters on the way to an outpost - that the PCs completely decimated of Drow and their soldier slaves - fighting tonnes of Drow, one room that they visited a number of time got blasted with so many fireballs I had to rule it had become unstable.

Obviously we won't know until the 5e adventure is out in sept, but there could be a way of working in some Torog connection.
That it does. Drows and demons sound like a classic D&D adventure type. For that matter, I wonder if Princes of Evil could be modified to be at least be connected to the Underdark, seeing as the Cult of Elder Elemental Evil is involved, at least from what I understand.

Sounds like a fun game. Fireballs: the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Probably. Could be an ally who wants to imprison the demons and humble the drow, or he could be helping the demons spread pain and fear. Or maybe he is just in a mood where he doesn't care and his minions are divided on what to do.

Oh, I'm sure we could come up with quite a few campaign ideas. How about something like a 'world' constructed by Torog. Of course its really the most vast underground vault in existence, but he's equipped it with its own Sun, Moon, etc. Of course the fun part is, its all controlled by Torog, whatever twisted thing THAT means. I'm sure its not a happy fun world... OTOH it isn't just another torture den. Maybe its a little exercise in "How things should have been."
It would be interesting to have Mystara's "Hollow World" be in the centre of the PoLand world. Torog would be the slug who shakes the heaven.
Those both sound amazing.

Come to think of it, I think Torog would make a fine deity of a group of not!Mezoamericans, because rituals of royal self-mutilation and bloody sacrifice of prisoners sounds right up his alley.

jerandall

Validated User
I like to add Journey To The Center of the Earth-style hidden dinosaur jungle-valleys. Because dinosaurs make everything better.

AbdulAlhazred

Validated User
Come to think of it, I think Torog would make a fine deity of a group of not!Mezoamericans, because rituals of royal self-mutilation and bloody sacrifice of prisoners sounds right up his alley.
Quetzltorogoatl? It actually sounds pretty good. You could just make Torog himself mesoamerican themed, why not?

I like to add Journey To The Center of the Earth-style hidden dinosaur jungle-valleys. Because dinosaurs make everything better.
Indubitably!

jerandall

Validated User
Xibalba, the Mayan hell, is one of the most metal underworlds in the history of the real world. Torog would fit right in there.

I'll just leave this here...

Spoiler: Show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xibalba

Xibalba is described in the Popol Vuh as a court below the surface of the Earth associated with death and with twelve gods or powerful rulers known as the Lords of Xibalba. The first among the Maya Death Gods ruling Xibalba were Hun-Came ("One Death") and Vucub-Came ("Seven Death"), though Hun-Came is the senior of the two.[4][5]

The remaining ten Lords are often referred to as demons and are given commission and domain over various forms of human suffering: to cause sickness, starvation, fear, destitution, pain, and ultimately death.[1] These Lords all work in pairs: Xiquiripat ("Flying Scab") and Cuchumaquic ("Gathered Blood"), who sicken people's blood; Ahalpuh ("Pus Demon") and Ahalgana ("Jaundice Demon"), who cause people's bodies to swell up; Chamiabac ("Bone Staff") and Chamiaholom ("Skull Staff"), who turn dead bodies into skeletons; Ahalmez ("Sweepings Demon") and Ahaltocob ("Stabbing Demon"), who hide in the unswept areas of people's houses and stab them to death; and Xic ("Wing") and Patan ("Packstrap"), who cause people to die coughing up blood while out walking on a road.[4] [5] The remaining residents of Xibalba are thought to have fallen under the dominion of one of these Lords, going about the face of the Earth to carry out their listed duties.

[Those last two pairs... seriously... WTF?!?!]

Xibalba seemed to be rife with tests, trials, and traps for anyone who came into the city. Even the roads to Xibalba were filled with obstacles: first a river filled with scorpions, a river filled with blood, and then a river filled with pus.[7]

[metal!]

Beyond these was a crossroads where travellers had to choose from among four roads that spoke in an attempt to confuse and beguile. Upon passing these obstacles, one would come upon the Xibalba council place, where it was expected visitors would greet the seated Lords. Realistic mannequins were seated near the Lords to confuse and humiliate people who greeted them, and the confused would then be invited to sit upon a bench, which was actually a hot cooking surface.

[not metal, but kinda hilarious]

The Lords of Xibalba would entertain themselves by humiliating people in this fashion before sending them into one of Xibalba's deadly tests.

The city was home to at least six deadly houses filled with trials for visitors. The first was Dark House, a house that was completely dark inside. The second was Rattling House or Cold House, full of bone-chilling cold and rattling hail. The third was Jaguar House, filled with hungry jaguars.

[metal, because what could be a simpler deathtrap than a house full of angry cats?]

The fourth was Bat House, filled with dangerous shrieking bats, and the fifth was Razor House, filled with blades and razors that moved about of their own accord.

[metal! and also, totally D&D]

In another part of the Popol Vuh, a sixth test, Hot House, filled with fires and heat, is identified. The purpose of these tests was to either kill or humiliate people placed into them if they could not outwit the test.[8]

[so basically Xibalba is The Tomb of Horrors]

junglefowl26

Validated User
How could I have forgotten that. This is of course the most important thing to add to any underground setting.

Quetzltorogoatl? It actually sounds pretty good. You could just make Torog himself mesoamerican themed, why not?
Thanks!

Xibalba, the Mayan hell, is one of the most metal underworlds in the history of the real world. Torog would fit right in there.

I'll just leave this here...

Spoiler: Show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xibalba

Xibalba is described in the Popol Vuh as a court below the surface of the Earth associated with death and with twelve gods or powerful rulers known as the Lords of Xibalba. The first among the Maya Death Gods ruling Xibalba were Hun-Came ("One Death") and Vucub-Came ("Seven Death"), though Hun-Came is the senior of the two.[4][5]

The remaining ten Lords are often referred to as demons and are given commission and domain over various forms of human suffering: to cause sickness, starvation, fear, destitution, pain, and ultimately death.[1] These Lords all work in pairs: Xiquiripat ("Flying Scab") and Cuchumaquic ("Gathered Blood"), who sicken people's blood; Ahalpuh ("Pus Demon") and Ahalgana ("Jaundice Demon"), who cause people's bodies to swell up; Chamiabac ("Bone Staff") and Chamiaholom ("Skull Staff"), who turn dead bodies into skeletons; Ahalmez ("Sweepings Demon") and Ahaltocob ("Stabbing Demon"), who hide in the unswept areas of people's houses and stab them to death; and Xic ("Wing") and Patan ("Packstrap"), who cause people to die coughing up blood while out walking on a road.[4] [5] The remaining residents of Xibalba are thought to have fallen under the dominion of one of these Lords, going about the face of the Earth to carry out their listed duties.

[Those last two pairs... seriously... WTF?!?!]

Xibalba seemed to be rife with tests, trials, and traps for anyone who came into the city. Even the roads to Xibalba were filled with obstacles: first a river filled with scorpions, a river filled with blood, and then a river filled with pus.[7]

[metal!]

Beyond these was a crossroads where travellers had to choose from among four roads that spoke in an attempt to confuse and beguile. Upon passing these obstacles, one would come upon the Xibalba council place, where it was expected visitors would greet the seated Lords. Realistic mannequins were seated near the Lords to confuse and humiliate people who greeted them, and the confused would then be invited to sit upon a bench, which was actually a hot cooking surface.

[not metal, but kinda hilarious]

The Lords of Xibalba would entertain themselves by humiliating people in this fashion before sending them into one of Xibalba's deadly tests.

The city was home to at least six deadly houses filled with trials for visitors. The first was Dark House, a house that was completely dark inside. The second was Rattling House or Cold House, full of bone-chilling cold and rattling hail. The third was Jaguar House, filled with hungry jaguars.

[metal, because what could be a simpler deathtrap than a house full of angry cats?]

The fourth was Bat House, filled with dangerous shrieking bats, and the fifth was Razor House, filled with blades and razors that moved about of their own accord.

[metal! and also, totally D&D]

In another part of the Popol Vuh, a sixth test, Hot House, filled with fires and heat, is identified. The purpose of these tests was to either kill or humiliate people placed into them if they could not outwit the test.[8]

[so basically Xibalba is The Tomb of Horrors]
Wow...just....wow!

That works incredibly well...especially for Torog's Underfell torture den.

Top Bottom