• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Let me recommend you a great pirates game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
I got a chance to play it at Gen Con.

It's called Poison'd and Vincent Baker (Dogs in the Vineyard) wrote it.

The link to a bit more info about it is here.

Since Play Collective hasn't updated their page, here's a link to the purchase page for Vincent's games.

It's an adults-oriented game about what it means to be a pirate and if the pirate you play has what it takes to actually do those things.

You could play it as (dark) comedy. You could play it as completely serious. It made for a very fun single-session game but it has a system to make it work great for long-term games (and it's where I think it would really shine).

The game mechanics perfectly suit its premise. It's terrific stuff and I think you'll have a blast.

Be warned. It's not a setting sandbox where you can go play a sorcerer or an agent from a trading company or a British navy captain fighting bad guys. You will play a pirate (of which there is a large variety) and you will do fucked up things -- or refuse and deal with the consequences. You will have long term ambitions and the game lets you play deep, epic stories if you so choose or something as simple as a ship-to-ship combat encounter.

It's a small game and you'll be able to read through it in 30 minutes or so. You'll be up and running with it soon after because of the elegant game design.

It's not perfect. I think one feature of the game could use more explanation (if you're curious, that feature is how "X's" are actually maintained). But Vincent is on the web on his blog and is at the Forge forum; you will probably get any questions you have answered in a day or two.

This game is a gem.

- Ian

Bobo

the Carpenter
Validated User

Paka

Or call me Judd
Validated User
There is a pre-made character in the main book named Dan Pigfuck.

That was my sales pitch all Gen Con long.

Also Resevoir Dogs on the high seas.

But mostly...Pigfuck.

Old Scratch

Validated User
Ian... Could you give us an Actual Play or some highlights of the game? I'd love to hear about the play. You tell us what the system can do, I'd like to see how it's done in practice!

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
Ian... Could you give us an Actual Play or some highlights of the game? I'd love to hear about the play. You tell us what the system can do, I'd like to see how it's done in practice!
Old Scratch -- show up at strategicon.net and let's see if we can carve out some time to do an impromptu game.

I'm too lazy to write-up anything. Here's a bit of an actual play report from the Forge (not of the game I was in). Find it here.

I think it'll give you some idea of game play.

- Ian

Old Scratch

Validated User
Old Scratch -- show up at strategicon.net and let's see if we can carve out some time to do an impromptu game.

I'm too lazy to write-up anything.
Thanks, I'm looking it over.

Hmmmm... I'm hoping to fit that weekend in, but I can't make any promises. I'd love to go but there are a few things that might come up... but if I do make it I'd love to play an impromptu game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom