• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Let's explore all the Middle-Earth games

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Woah, the intro to this game mentions a bunch of stuff that I never see in other games. The names of all the encircling seas, whole other continents. I've never even seen that in The Silmarillion - I wonder if it's from Tolkien's notes or just made up? I've had this book for a few years now (got it for $6 in my FLGS's used rack!) but every time I cracked it open I skipped over to the rules to see how they differed from Rolemaster. I don't think I ever paused on the intro page before. I see why the fluff is beloved. (And also contentious, if they went beyond Tolkien's creation a lot...)
ICE had no access to Tolkien's notes or maps beyond Hobbit/LotR/Silm; everything they wrote beyond the bounds of the LotR map is completely noncanonical. Their map of the rest of Arda thus bears no resemblance to Tolkien's, but their worldbuilding is interesting in its own right.

Thane of Fife

Validated User
Unofficial games, I’m not sure how many were finished. Here are some more I dug up:

Song of Arda—if you can find it. Had some similar aspects to Pendragon if I recall.
It's on the Wayback machine here. Can't promise that that's the last update, and as noted, it appears to be incomplete.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Let's try another one.
That's massively good stats! Wow!
They sure are! I'm a bit conflicted now - now that I've seen them I like the idea of Eriond as the Hobbit equivalent of the perfect high school team captain: athletic, intelligent, not a bully and loved by all his peers. (And then he goes all wacky and goes off to have Adventures.) So that would suggest high Presence for the "popular, charming, loved by all" aspect. But I'm not sure what to drop for it...

Actually, I do. Rowing suggests high Strength, I definitely want high AG, CO is fixed, so if I choose high PR that means low (er, only slightly above average) IG and IN.

ST 94 +10
AG 98 +20
CO 90 +10
IG 77 +5
IT 84 +5
PR 99 +20

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Let's continue with Uncle Mathom:

There's no "scholar" class, but there is one that's good for knowing old stories, general life skills, and teaching the kids about history. Uncle Mathom is a Bard. Which means Presence.

Wow, those rolls are much worse.

I see his highest stat as IG more than PR, but higher than 90 IG isn't on the table.

ST 57 +0
AG 60 +0
CO 80 +5
IG 89 +5
IN 88 +5
PR 90 +10

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Maeglor would make sense as a Ranger, since he patrols the wild outside Rendell. But I like him better as a Warrior, meaning ST.

Woah.

Guess what? Maeglor's a Noldo, meaning his highest stat needs to be Presence! This is a good-looking bunch of people.

ST 90 +10
AG 78 +5
CO 84 +5
IN 84 +5
IT 84 +5
PR 100 +25

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
One more!

Lebenniel's thing is sneaking right under the eaves of the Shadow in Mirkwood. So Ranger seems obvious, what with the forest lore, but she could also be a Scout to focus on the sneaking. On the one hand we already have a Ranger. On the other hand it might be nice to see two different Rangers and how different they end up. I think I'll do that. Lebenniel is another Ranger.

Also because she's a Silvan Elf, she needs to assign one of her top 3 rolls to Presence.

(I'm not sure how that works for Noldo Bards. If you roll nothing above 90, can you assign your lowest stat to PR and then swap it to 90? Or are you obligated to assign your highest stat to PR and then bump it up to 90?)

Ouch, a 20 exactly. Well, I guess that's becoming a 90.

I think her time alone in the woods has left her withdrawn and creepy, leading to the lowest PR possible for an elf. Which leaves an 89 and 92 to assign to stats I want to be good, and then a 34 and 28 (ick) for dump stats... I definitely want good AG, for sneaking and shooting. Sneaking right into the teeth of the Necromancer when every sensible elf fortified their new halls to the north doesn't sound very smart, so put IG as the lowest stat. That leaves an 89 and a 34 to choose between ST and IN. Yuck. A ranger with only 34 ST? I don't like it. But I also don't like the idea of a spy type character with all mental dump stats...

ST 34 +0
AG 92 +10
CO 90 +10
IG 28 +0
IN 89 +5
PR 41 +0

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
Commentary: I remember this method of stat generation from Rolemaster, although that had more stats, and I really hate it. It's always unsatisfying. I keep expecting stuff in the 30's, 40's and 50's to be different, but they're just not. Meanwhile I see 89 and think, "Oh, that's pretty high, it's almost a 90," and it's just a measly +5. It's simultaneously too granular, with the difference between 97 and 98 being critical, and too coarse, with huge swathes of rolls just being a boring +0. I much prefer the D&D system where the rolled stats are bell curved.

artikid

passerby
Validated User
Commentary: I remember this method of stat generation from Rolemaster, although that had more stats, and I really hate it. It's always unsatisfying. I keep expecting stuff in the 30's, 40's and 50's to be different, but they're just not. Meanwhile I see 89 and think, "Oh, that's pretty high, it's almost a 90," and it's just a measly +5. It's simultaneously too granular, with the difference between 97 and 98 being critical, and too coarse, with huge swathes of rolls just being a boring +0. I much prefer the D&D system where the rolled stats are bell curved.
Indeed ICE changed the Stat score/bonus relationship when they went on to write HARP.

Top Bottom