[Let's learn] 13th Age

Dromio

Validated User
Hard agree. If you're a new player, the Ranger does so many things right that it feels cool in the way you want a new player to feel. It gets to use the best weapons and do good damage with them (even on a miss). It has a slightly higher AC in light armor than anyone else, giving it a little more staying power. That right there means that it can work at range or up-close without a new player having to focus specifically on playing to a particular niche. Then, assuming the GM helps the new player build the character, you can add in one or two additional points of complexity to make the class feel more complete: the "chance to attack twice" Talents, the "I crit more often" Talents, the spellcasting talents, and/or the animal companion.

Like I said -- it feels a little too simple to me, because I love the extra fiddly bits that a spellcasting list or flexible attacks or even a Rogue's special attacks give, but the ranger is incredible as a class for people learning to play. (And as I said in the 5E thread on Rangers, so many new players hear the class name and want to be Aragorn or Legolas from LotR, and whatever my quibbles with this Ranger or the 5E Ranger, both of those classes have delivered, from what I've seen at the table.)
That's great to know, thanks. For whatever reason ranger is a class I haven't seen much, and these impressions are valuable to me at least. :)

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
That's great to know, thanks. For whatever reason ranger is a class I haven't seen much, and these impressions are valuable to me at least. :)
I feel like anyone who comes to 13th Age from D&D is expecting the Ranger to be sort of half-baked and not fully functional, and any player who's coming to the F20 scene brand-new is going to be pick something with a bit more oomph and specialness than "guy with bow and sword." That being said I agree that the Ranger strikes a good balance between mechanical meat and simplicity for new players who want something more than a Barbarian.

NinjaPaladin

Validated User
While I agree many will pick something different, it is a great “Easy” on-ramp for someone who wants a Jack of All Trades (which one of my kids very much did). Spellcasting and an animal companion, without the complexity of a full caster. It was much easier than dumping him into Bard right off the bat.

Last edited:

hroc

Speaking of rangers, has anyone created a druidic spell talent similar to Fey Queen's Enchantments and Ranger Ex Cathedral? Something like:

Connected to the land
Choose one daily spell from the Druid "Terrain Caster" talent. You can cast this single spell as if you were a druid with the initiate talent, although you must prepare your spell in advance. You can change your chosen spell at each full heal-up.
A: You no longer need to prepare your spell in advance​
C: You can now choose from "Terrain Caster" at-will and once per battle spells​
E: You gain an additional spell from the "Terrain Caster" spell list; a total of two from this talent​

That's a little unsatisfying as it potentially gives the ranger easier access to at-wills than the actual druidic talent. Maybe 'C: Pick one at-will or once per battle spell from the druid "Terrain Caster" talent when you take this feat - after a full heal-up, you may choose to cast this spell instead of a daily "Terrain Caster" spell.'

NinjaPaladin

Validated User
I'd let the Ranger pick per-battle or daily spells from either the Terrain Caster or Elemental Caster spell lists. It's one spell, and if a Ranger getting Lightning Fork doesn't break the game, I don't imagine that them getting any of the Druid ones will do so. (I'm generally not wowed by Druids after playing one, but that's another discussion.)

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I had a Ranger with a Druid Talent in my game because she had an OUT that justified getting it at Champion tier. Worked really well.

ezekiel

Follower of the Way
Validated User
I had a Ranger with a Druid Talent in my game because she had an OUT that justified getting it at Champion tier. Worked really well.
Probably the only reason I can think of to tread carefully with this would be if there's an actual Druid in the party. Even then, if it makes sense that the Druid could be teaching this stuff to the Ranger, why not? A cool mechanical way to back up the roleplay going on. I've done something similar in my DW game (the party Bard will eventually pick up very minor shapeshifting ability as a result of being taught by the party Druid).

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rogues

Definitely some more design consideration required here, and some additional stuff in play with keeping track of whether you have momentum or not. (Though there are more non-momeuntum powers than I had been expecting, once I analyzed a bit.)

But I do have some questions.

I like that Rogues do more damage with smaller weapons, and the kind of players who would object to that on "realism" grounds probably wouldn't like any 13th Age game I would enjoy anyway, so that's a feature not a bug as far as I'm concerned. However
1) Anybody run into trouble with fighter-types thinking it's unfair to them?

2) On the table on p 126, it lists "pool available." Maybe I'm being dense but...what? I don't know what that's referring to.

3) Any comments on builds for starting characters? 3 talents (and no more ever), plus 4 powers. Obviously, lots of ways you can go depending on your preference, just wondering what people have found to wrok out or be fun or whatever.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rogues
2) On the table on p 126, it lists "pool available." Maybe I'm being dense but...what? I don't know what that's referring to.
Much like casters, the powers you can choose from expand as you level up. A 4th level Rogue can choose powers from 3rd & 1st level powers. An 8th level Rogue can choose from 7th, 5th, 3rd, & 1st level powers.

My Halfling Rogue took Shadow Walk, Smooth Talk, and Thievery; Evasive Strike, Roll With It, Sure Cut, Tumbling Strike.

Last edited:

Raveled

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Rogues

I would assume it's "pool of available powers." 1st lvl powers at 1st and 2nd lvl, 3rd lvl powers opening up at 3rd and 4th lvl, etc.

Top Bottom