• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's learn] 13th Age

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Orcs howl, mad for blood and disappointed to be facing mere semblances of life. The ghouls prove too slow to contain the orcs for long, though a couple of them stay and begin hacking at one of the ghouls. But the bulk of the Orc Ragers rush after the spellcasters, with three of them slashing at Dorelie, and 5 more ganging up on Sparr, leaving both mages badly injured.

OOC: Now for a bunch of mook actions. 5 engaged orcs will attempt to disengage:
disengage: 5#1d20 16 18 15 17 8, so NOW I get all the high d20 rolls. Orcs 1-4 pop free and can move, 6-10 were already free. 5 will accept their fate and just hack at the ghoul.
rager #5 attack: Orc rager attack: 1d20+12 25, hits for 16 damage, not quite enough to kill. So let's see if #4 can finish the job.
Orc rager attack: 1d20+12 17, miss.
So Ghoul 5 still has 2 HP (noted on sheet), but is engaged with both ragers 4 & 5. I'll assume it's not going anywhere and move on.

Ragers 1-3 will swarm Dorelei, see if we can take out the source of the undead.
Orc rager attack: 3#1d20+12 22 29 21, all three hit! 48 damage to the poor necromancer.

6-10 are all going for Sparr. Orc rager attack: 5#1d20+12 23 17 16 27 30
Only 3 hits, 48 damage, leaving the Chaos Mage only just barely on the positive side, for now.

Note: I've updated HP counts on all PCs to date, but anyone welcome to check.

That's the end of the round -BUT the Frost Giant has a special where there's only a 50% chance of the escalation die in creasing. So I'm rolling 1d2, 2=increase, 1=don't.
Escalate?: 1d2 1, no escalation for you!

So we enter round 2, but the escalation die stays at 0.
Reynard/Sparr --> Frost Giant/Golems/Dragon --> Kalom/Greatness --> Ogre Mage --> Dorelei --> Orcs (mooks)
Ogre Mage is visible but flying, so you need ranged or flight to reach. Everyone else is on the ground, and I think the sheet is up to date on all engaged statuses.

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I should've been more clear about the starting range.
I misposted the link on the golem roll. It's stone golem smash!: 2#1d20+12 27 18, which is which it's one hit (the 27).
Can I clarify if I should have taken the miss damage? I'll update the sheet assuming that I didn't (since you didn't list it). I'll update if you clarify otherwise.

Edit: I see you've already updated the sheet.

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
-- Edit: Cancel all this as Sparr should have been unconscious. I'll leave the post up for the benefit of the mechanics stuff though. --

Sparr

"Hopefully, we'll have to take your word for that!"

The Chaos Mage, surrounded by enemies, lacks good options. With a moment of concentration, he activates the power that lies within his cloak to strengthen himself and calls upon the power of the Dwarf King to aid them in their desperate fight. The strength of the earth flow up and into him, granting him a brief moment to strike. However, this isn't where his skill lies, and his attack upon one of the Orcs comes to naught.

Frowning at the fickle face of fortune, Sparr desperately tries to move away from the melee that he's found himself in, but fails. Desperately hoping to last a few more seconds, he focusses on his relationship with the Priestess, begging her aid.

Spoiler: Show

Quick action: Activate Cloak of Recovery. Recovery grants 21 hp.
Standard action: Cast Yours! This gives a random character (in this case Dorelei) either a recover, or a free basic attack. In this case, a free basic attack.
Move action: Attempt to disengage. Rolls a 12, which would normally be enough, but the five opponents reduce that by 4.
Next round's spell type will be Iconic again. And I'll use my Champion Spell Determination feat to choose the Priestess as the icon in question.

AC 19 PD 17 MD 17 HP 22 [Staggered] Recoveries 4
Dorelei can take an immediate basic attack as a free action.

Edit: After correction by LuxVeritatis, I've re-rolled the targeting for the Yours! spell, which has now come up as Sparr himself. A basic attack isn't a great option for him, but you never know. He'll attack a mook. However, a roll of a 6 doesn't get him very far...

Last edited:

LuxVeritatis

Polysemous
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would take the basic free attack, but... It appears that Orc Rage #2 rolled a 17 (total of 29), which because of their Dangerous Mooks ability should have been a crit. Therefore I think I actually took 64 damage and am down. If someone could confirm and let me know either way?

(Sadly, if I am down, that wastes Sparr's first iconic Spell - not that he got the best result on it anyway...)

LuxVeritatis

Polysemous
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Although I should note that the targeting for Yours! should have been a d11 roll (maybe d10?), not a d5. The summoning rules (TTW12) explicitly state that the summons count as allies and should be included in random determination like that - and I assume the skeletal minion does too?

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Crits don't double because of the Invocation of Protection that is active.

In terms of targeting - I was looking at the definition of ally in the main book, rather than the summoning rules (which you're right - I should have thought of). Given the minions don't have recoveries to spend (and that was the other option for the spell), I'm not sure they'd be valid targets of this particular spell? GM ruling I guess.

LuxVeritatis

Polysemous
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Crits don't double because of the Invocation of Protection that is active.

In terms of targeting - I was looking at the definition of ally in the main book, rather than the summoning rules (which you're right - I should have thought of). Given the minions don't have recoveries to spend (and that was the other option for the spell), I'm not sure they'd be valid targets of this particular spell? GM ruling I guess.
I'd missed the Invocation. Thanks! But for the summons, the rules specifically use an effect that grants a recovery as an example where your summon counting as an ally is just bad for you.

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd missed the Invocation. Thanks! But for the summons, the rules specifically use an effect that grants a recovery as an example where your summon counting as an ally is just bad for you.
Thanks - I've corrected my post. After re-rolling to take into account minions, it came up as himself. This was, it could be said, an even worse result!

Spaßwolf

Validated User
Thanks - I've corrected my post. After re-rolling to take into account minions, it came up as himself. This was, it could be said, an even worse result!
And you just taught me that wizards, chaos mages and necromancers don't deal miss damage with their melee attacks. I always thought everyone got that.

Top Bottom