• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's learn] 13th Age

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can I clarify if I should have taken the miss damage? I'll update the sheet assuming that I didn't (since you didn't list it). I'll update if you clarify otherwise.

Edit: I see you've already updated the sheet.
I missed the miss damage. Ha. Need to be more careful. Yes, you should've taken an additional 15.

tobygrandjean

Validated User
OOC: Actually though, Kalom should have had a chance to intercept one of the sets of mooks...

Reynard
Reynard took a moment and intoned the Invocation of Pelor's Strength before setting his spear and charging for the knee of the frost giant.
He jabbed, twisted, and pulled out the spear readying himself for the counter.

OOC: Invocation of Strength; crits are x3... would have been nice last turn.
Attack hits AC 29; 45 damage

Last edited:

ruemere

Validated User
OOC: Actually though, Kalom should have had a chance to intercept one of the sets of mooks...
OOC: Skilled Intercept works only once per round. Already tried it once and failed: https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/lets-learn-13th-age.842176/post-22724886

OOC: Civil Savage Civil Savage - I've taken a liberty and added Engaged status where it was missing. "Engaged with" works both ways unless there is a specific reason to ignore it (a Koru Behemoth ignores a human): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MiUtai12MolnuGP2ZM_HdGlvlw68Ig2gQVuzNVPmfQs/edit#gid=0

OOC: Combat rules: https://www.13thagesrd.com/combat-rules/ (there is a neat summary on Engaging and Intercept)

Kalom gets shakes... The voices remind him of past he thought he had buried long time ago. The past he loathes with savage intensity. Red tinges Kalom's vision.

Last edited:

tobygrandjean

Validated User
OOC: Ah, missed the attempted intercept. Apologies.
Next round if I can disengage, I'll probably cast Mighty Healing. Otherwise, I'll cast Heal and attack again.

ruemere

Validated User
OOC: Ah, missed the attempted intercept. Apologies.
Next round if I can disengage, I'll probably cast Mighty Healing. Otherwise, I'll cast Heal and attack again.
OOC: No worries. 13th Age is surprisingly complicated with all those out of turn actions. Anyway, Kalom will probably attempt to charge mooks swarming Sparr. We cannot afford to lose people so early in a fight. Also, a mage with so many engagements is unable to contribute. Finally, these mooks will just move over to the next target so taking them down is priority.

Ebonheart

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I missed the miss damage. Ha. Need to be more careful. Yes, you should've taken an additional 15.
In that case, I should have been unconscious at -14 on my turn.

So - instead of everything I said before - Sparr lies on the ground and tries not to die!

Death Save failed (it's a hard save), and so 1 of 4 down.

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Frost Giant bellows "You meddle in things above you, little ones. Run home to your Emperor, and leave the snow to those who know it!" She swings her axe wildly to emphasize her point, but it only kicks up snow and rock.

OOC: Frost Giant bad luck Frost Giant axe: 1d20+12 13

The Marble Golem makes no sound, just slams its maul into Greatness of Spirit, which the Stone Golem follows up with a devastating 2-hand smash!

OOC: marble maul: 1d20+15 34, 19, so odd hit, no backswing. And no crit, which wouldn't matter anyway. So 60 damage to Greatness. Which should mean Greatness is staggered, so the Stone Golem can use "Finishing smash."

stone golem smash!: 1d20+14 33, another 19, a natural odd hit - means a total of 100 additional damage, plus you are dazed. (Plus pretty far gone, I do believe.

The dragon, meanwhile, seems to remain perplexed at how to kill something that doesn't have any flesh to rend...

OOC: dragon claw & bite: 2#1d20+10 19 12, seriously, the dragon can't take down the skeleton, but I just obliterated the monk. It will be funny if the skeleton ends up being the thing that prevents TPK.

LuxVeritatis

Polysemous
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Stone golems' finishing smash is a brutal, brutal ability. Even at early epic level it'll drop pretty much any eligible target it hits - with a good chance of killing anyone but a high-Con tank. (8th level fighter with 18 Con = 192 hp. Staggered at 96 hp - the golem would take them to -4. ) Pretty much the only option is to make sure their target isn't staggered - which if the golem goes after several other enemies with no players in between in initiative... A very nasty combination is stone golems with clay golems, since the clay golems stop any non-dwarf they hit from being healed to above staggered...

Civil Savage

Proud Lifetime Member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And quick stupid question, since i don't have the book handy. I assume when someone drops, engaged status disappears?

LuxVeritatis

Polysemous
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And quick stupid question, since i don't have the book handy. I assume when someone drops, engaged status disappears?
As far as I can tell, the book doesn't actually say. Given that you could continue to make melee attacks against the downed character, and it does say that you have to be engaged to make a melee attack, there's an argument that you do continue to be engaged but since you always have the opportunity to automatically disengage by accepting opportunity attacks - and the downed character can't make an opportunity attack - you can disengage freely on your turn. Downside - it means that (strictly) you can't intercept until after you do disengage on your turn. Upside - if someone heals the downed character, they get back up still engaged with you rather than getting a free pop free - which if you've downed a ranged attacker could be important.

Top Bottom