Let's list the ways Kevin J Anderson Ruined Star Wars

GabrielK

No puppet! No puppet!
Validated User
The sith didn't really exist in the original trilogy, did they. They're an invention of the prequels.
Kinda sorta. The word "Sith" has been around for a very long time. Darth Vader was referred to by promo material as "Dark Lord of the Sith" (though never onscreen). Of course for the longest time, nobody knew what the hell that meant, or what exactly a "sith" was (including, I think, Lucas himself).

Murglor

Vanquisher of Bars
Validated User
Kevin J. Anderson might be the most successful incompetent writer of all time.

I don't mean that in terms of not liking his books, or his plotting, or his choices as to what to do with characters.

The man literally cannot write prose. He cannot show or describe; he can only tell.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
He did push the Mara/Lando relationship and hinted at a Winter/Ackbar one. He also made Garm bel Iblis into a bloodthirsty warmonger.
For Star Wars, the Mara/Lando thing was a little risque. I want to say Luke contacted Mara and found her on the vidscreen wearing one of Lando's shirts.

Winter/Ackbar just seems weird. Mike Stackpole made me a diehard fan of Tycho and Winter, so it's probably a bit unfair.

I liked Tales of the Jedi, though. It's very pulp-y.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A few (and a few speculations):

1. Made the Jedi out to be basically wizards with swords.
This, and also gave them incredibly overpowered abilities. Throwing around star destroyers, making stars explode, that kinda of thing.

The stuff of that era now simply no longer fit with the rest of Star Wars.

CelticMutt

Closer to the Heart
The sith didn't really exist in the original trilogy, did they. They're an invention of the prequels.
No. They existed in Lucas' notes for the original movies and backstory, Vader was called the Dark Lord of the Sith, and the Tales of the Jedi comics (which were the first thing to really explore the Sith) pre-date the Prequels by around 5 years or more.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
This, and also gave them incredibly overpowered abilities. Throwing around star destroyers, making stars explode, that kinda of thing.

The stuff of that era now simply no longer fit with the rest of Star Wars.
To be fair even mnroe recent work like the first clone wars series tended to do that-- witness Mace.

AJFixer

Writer
Validated User
He didn't. A lot of the hate to me seems pretty exaggerated. Perfect author and works? No. But a lot more fun and a lot better than given credit.
I've had the misfortune of reading some of KJA's work. He is, without a doubt, the worst professional author I've ever read. Bar none. I don't think any criticism aimed at Anderson could possibly be exagerated.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
To be fair even mnroe recent work like the first clone wars series tended to do that-- witness Mace.
True. But even that isn't quite as crazy.

If 12 Jedi, mostly students, can throw a fleet to a different solar system, what do you need fleets for other than moving your Jedi around?

Top Bottom