• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Let's Play]Choice of Games:DinoKnights

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
Saddle up your dinosaurs and let's find our way through DinoKnights by K.T. Bryski and Choice of Games.

This is a sort of Choose-Your-Own-Adventure game about a medieval fantasy kingdom with dinosaurs. This'll be a group let's play, you in the audience will vote to decide what we do next. I will break ties.

Running these games in this forum was popular from about 2015-17. People gradually lost interest, but I really liked the innocent enthusiasm of this story's writing and decided to come back and see if there'd be any interest in doing these again.

Let us begin.

Chapter One:Graduation

Protect the Crown and save the meek
This our bounden oath we speak
With one proud, unbroken roar
Sword and Mage and Dinosaur

Even in the noontime heat, Castle Mirabal rings with sound. You've lived here six years. Sometimes, it feels like it's been no longer than a day. Other times, it feels like centuries, and the tumult still overwhelms you sometimes. Pages dart like minnows, clutching messages in hand. Lords and ladies saunter through wide cloisters, their laughter breaking like glass as servants curse.

And the dinosaurs roar, their heavy footsteps like distant thunder across the castle grounds.

In a few hours, one of those dinosaurs will belong to you.

As a child, you never could have imagined this. It sounds like a courtly legend come true. Six years at Queen Isobel's court, training to become one of Her Majesty's Own Rangers. The brave knights protect her realm from astride their mighty dinosaur mounts. Not bad for a humble farmer's child from a dishonored village.

The Rangers have lives of adventure, of great deeds and noble quests. But why did you want to join their ranks?

1.The realm has bandits, rogue mages, and wild dinosaurs. I want to defend the helpless!
2.Dinosaurs are so beautiful and awe-inspiring; I want to bond with one!
3.After so long in a backwater hamlet, this is my chance to get close to the nobility!
4.It's a challenge, and no challenge can beat me!
5.Rangers command a lot of respect. I'd like some for me!
Spoiler: Show

Ranger-

Name:
Mount:

Skills-

Fortitude: 50%
Dexterity: 50%
Strategy: 50%
Magic: 50%
Combat: 50%
Charm: 50%

Traits-

Heart:50%/Head:50%
Loyal:50%/Ambitious:50%
Courtly:50%/Rustic:50%
Headstrong:50%/Prudent:50%
Health:100%
Honor:50%
Gold:100

Adventure-

Queen Danger:50%
Village Danger:50%
Mastery of Magic:50%
Join Darkness:50%

Relationships-

?:50%
Martis: 50%
Aude: 50%
Laila: 50%
Ermessen: 50%
Sara: 50%
Melusine: 50%

Last edited:

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
We like dinosaurs.

Like beasts of myth, dinosaurs set your imagination ablaze. Soon you'll be partnered with one. The thought is humbling.
High in the castle tower, the great bell chimes. Your head snaps up. How has the time flown? Before you can officially graduate from the Ranger Academy and choose your dinosaur, you have one final test under Dino-Mistress Duma.
And you're late.

You bolt across the main courtyard. The training grounds are so close! Just past the kitchens, around the stables wall, and…
A sudden sob rends the air.

In a shadowed alcove between the storehouse and the kitchen, a group of trainee Rangers jostle and shove. Their backs to you, they form a rough semicircle. They've got a brand-new recruit pressed against the castle stones.

"Please," the new recruit whimpers. "Not again."

"You need toughening up," a trainee snaps. "Come now, Rangers don't cry."

Anger thumps hard and hot under your ribs as the recruit's face crumples. But the afternoon's shadows are lengthening. If you miss your final test, you won't get your dinosaur!

1.This is not behavior befitting future Rangers! I dive in and shove the bullies away.
2.There are too many for me to take on. I find a Rangers instructor.
3.I crack jokes until their attention is diverted, allowing the kid to escape.
4.Forget this! I can't be late! I slip past the scuffle and head to the training yard.
5.I don't care about the recruit, but those bullies are in my way. I push through without a word.

Ranger-

Name:
Mount:

Skills-

Combat: 50%

Traits-

Loyal:62%/Ambitious:38%

Adventure-

Relationships-

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
We don't like bullies.

Wordlessly, you push your way through the assembled trainees.

"Hey, what are you doing?" their leader shouts at you. You recognize her now. Favia's a few years behind you and famed equally for her riding prowess and permanent scowl. At her nod, the circle tightens around you.

You grab the kid by the wrist and bull through with Brontosaurus-like determination.

"If you're looking for a fight," you tell Favia, "you can pick on me."

"Think you're so tough?"

"Yes, actually."

"I know you. You're from Bourg-les-Bains," she says, and spits. "Mudpit village. You have no honor."

1.I won't stand for that! I let Favia have it!
2.I've got better manners than that. I regally ignore her.
3.That really stung. If I'm quiet, maybe she'll stop.
4.I make sure the recruit's all right. That's the important thing.

Ranger-

Name:
Mount:

Skills-

Combat: 62%

Traits-

Loyal:62%/Ambitious:38%

Adventure-

Relationships-

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
The words of bullies bounce off our shield of honour!
Tend to the wounded. We went into this to rescue the kid. Make sure they're all right

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
We check on the kid.

You don't mind a few knocks to your pride. You can take it. Your job is to protect others.

And so, you turn to the recruit. "Are you all right?"

His eyes are red. "I think so."

You offer the recruit your arm. "Come to the training yard with me. Much nicer people there." As the bell tolls again, you gulp. "But let's run for it!"

At last, panting, you hurry onto the training ground. A packed-earth square sits surrounded by wooden stands. Queen Isobel's colors fly from each corner. As you fight to catch your breath, you see movement in the stands. The person is in shadow, but your heart beats faster regardless. Even from this distance, they look like a particularly attractive…

1.Man.
2.Woman.
3.Either works for me!
4.I enjoy kissing as a sign of affection, but I'm not really into people in that way.

Ranger-

Name:
Mount:

Skills-

Combat: 62%

Traits-