• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Let's Play]Choice of Games:DinoKnights

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Nice to see another Choice of Games thread! Been too long since I've taken part in one. And I haven't really tried this story out on my own...

I say 3. Breeches and boots are just sensible for a test that will probably involve physical activity. Doesn't mean we can't break out the fancy dresses for celebrating after.

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
Practicality is important.

Great touch, those ankle boots!

Her inspection over, Duma points across the training yard. Two mannequins have been set up on the far side, closest to the stands. You've used them all through your training. One's nearly as tall as you, crudely human-shaped. The other's lower but wider, with a blunt head. Four stubby legs mark it as a dinosaur. They're covered in thin leather and stuffed with rags and straw. Some jester's taken charcoal to their wooden heads, adding vicious snarls.

The human one kind of looks like Duma.

"Bring in the dinosaur!" Duma calls.

Four Rangers working together lead a Pachycephalosaurus into the training yard. It's not that much taller than you, but it is much longer, especially as its whiplike tail lashes back and forth. Knobbly protrusions erupt from its head. It looks like it ran headfirst into the castle wall, smashing up all the bones in its skull. As it paws at the ground with one clawed foot, you can't help but admire the green and violet stripes across its bronze-colored back.

Then you notice the scar across its muzzle and groan.

They gave you Brutus. Of course they gave you Brutus. He's only the most malevolent, ill-tempered dinosaur in Queen Isobel's stables.

By the gleam in Duma's eye, she's caught your expression. "Up you get, Rosalee," she says cheerfully. "Show me those skills you've been honing."

What do you do?

1.I have some sugared almonds with me. Maybe it'll sweeten Brutus's temper.
2.Brutus needs to know I'm in charge. I intimidate him.
3.There's a special bit that will help control him, if I can just get it in his mouth.
4.I hang back to study his movements. Look before you leap!
I have to admit, I was kind of rooting for the "wearing a full dress to a dinosaur ride" option. I'm happy to see interest picking up, I remember some of you from the last time we did these threads.

Spoiler: Show

Ranger-

Name:Rosalee
Mount:

Skills-

Fortitude: 50%
Dexterity: 50%
Strategy: 50%
Magic: 50%
Combat: 62%
Charm: 50%

Traits-

Heart:60%/Head:40%
Loyal:62%/Ambitious:38%
Courtly:50%/Rustic:50%
Headstrong:50%/Prudent:50%
Health:100%
Honor:60%
Gold:100

Adventure-

Queen Danger:50%
Village Danger:50%
Mastery of Magic:50%
Join Darkness:50%

Relationships-

?:50%
Prince Bartas:50%
Martis:50%
Aude:50%
Laila:50%
Ermessen:50%
Sara:50%
Melusine:50%

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
Hey, fancily coloured dinos! I approve.
Also I'me sure Brutus is just a big sweety on the inside, give him some sugar. If horsie Movies have thaught me anything, it's that Always work.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Some interesting stats we've got there, especially in the 'Adventure' category.

In these games, there's always the question of how to develop your character. Some games reward laser focus on one or two stats and never deviating, others need more well-rounded characters to avoid a bad end. Of course, it's not always obvious which choice leads to which stat... I think I'm going to go with 3, the special bit. That might lead to a combat boost as we wrestle it in, or it might not, but it'll be interesting to see.

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
A coin flip says we look before we leap.

Before doing anything, you like to get the lay of the land. Why rush into danger willy-nilly when there might be a path around it? And so, you don't approach Brutus right away. You linger around the perimeter of the training yard, scrutinizing the dinosaur as he noses the packed earth.

Though older and battle-scarred, he is still a beautiful specimen. Lean muscles ripple under his scales, and his bony skull gleams in the sunlight. Not finding anything to eat, he shakes himself into a canter. When he passes by you, the vibrations rattle all up your breastbone. Despite yourself, you grin. This is what you imagined, when you dreamed of becoming a Ranger.

But have you spotted anything useful?

The crowd's growing restless. Prince Bartas's laughter is particularly strident, but you ignore it all. Brutus has to have some weakness, something that will let you work with him.
Then you realize something. He's paying far more attention to the crowds on his left than his right. You experiment, circling around to his right-hand side. He doesn't respond. You toss a stone toward his left. Instant reaction.

You turn to Duma. "Is he—how's his vision, in his right eye?"

She bites her lip. "He took a blow, still recovering."

That could be your key. But knowing he's injured, how do you feel?

1.I think he's fine, but I want to try a new tactic.
2.It doesn't seem to bother him. I proceed.
3.This feels wrong. I ask Duma for a new mount.
Spoiler: Show

Ranger-

Name:Rosalee
Mount:

Skills-

Fortitude: 50%
Dexterity: 50%
Strategy: 60%
Magic: 50%
Combat: 62%
Charm: 50%

Traits-

Heart:60%/Head:40%
Loyal:62%/Ambitious:38%
Courtly:50%/Rustic:50%
Headstrong:50%/Prudent:50%
Health:100%
Honor:60%
Gold:100

Adventure-

Queen Danger:50%
Village Danger:50%
Mastery of Magic:50%
Join Darkness:50%

Relationships-

?:50%
Prince Bartas:50%
Martis:50%
Aude:50%
Laila:50%
Ermessen:50%
Sara:50%
Melusine:50%

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
2. We have discerned a weakness. Time to pounce on it!
He's still heavy and strong enough to stomp us into paste is we let him, no reason to feel bad about it

Top Bottom