• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Play]Choice of Magics -Second run

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
Yer another wizard, VGO.

After finishing my previous run of Kevin Gold's Choice of Magics, a few people expressed interest in running the game again. If you're just joining us, this is a "choose your own adventure" style story in which the audience will vote on what we do next. I'll flip a coin to break ties if necessary. Since the previous run began with Foo Barsdaughter parting the wall, this time I'm going to block that choice to ensure the story plays out differently.

Without further ado, let's play Choice of Magics.

Chapter 1:The Lost Academy

You push yourself out the window of an ancient classroom, clutching a musty tome of vivomancy magic, and land with a roll on the cobblestone path below.

Above you, it seems to be night, and you're momentarily confused: how are you seeing stars, when stars have been obscured by clouds for over two thousand years? But then you realize the twinkling lights must be flecks of quartz in the rocky ceiling above, reflecting the light of the magical streetlamps below.

Those streetlamps continued to shine even when the Neighbors' magic pulled this academy underground. They shone underground, while above ground, Abraxas walked the earth and declared that magic was forbidden. They illuminated this ancient place of learning, while everywhere else, wizards were put to the sword.

You still can't believe your luck in finding this academy before the Church did. When you and Tal began following her bounty, a great burrowing wurm, you had no idea it would burrow all the way to this sunken academy and its long-buried treasures. Tal slew the wurm, and its final thrashes collapsed the tunnel behind you—but apparently not before an inquisitor followed you inside as well. He must have been shadowing you until you got your hands on this tome of magic, whereupon he shouted that you were under arrest—and here you are, more or less.

You have no idea how the inquisitor found you in the first place. Sometimes the Church has an uncanny knack for knowing things. You're not a wizard yet, but you're not sure the inquisitor cares about this technicality. He probably wants you dead.

Tal prepares to jump from the same second-floor window you did. Her fingers move to her eye patch, as if she's worried she will misjudge the distance. She hesitates a moment too long, and the inquisitor's crossbow bolt lodges itself in her leg. Tal grunts in pain, leaps forward with her good leg, and lands ungracefully, faltering because of the wound.

"Are you all right?" you ask her.

"Meh." Gritting her teeth, Tal jerks the bolt out from between the pieces of her black leather armor, ignoring the trickle of blood that results. "I'm fine, but I might have a little trouble climbing up to that open window over there. Which is too bad, because it seems like our best escape route." She nods to the tome in your hands. "Anything in there that can help?"

"I'm certain of it!" you say eagerly. You open up Praefata Vivomancia, or "Introduction to Vivomancy," the tome that you managed to peruse a bit before the inquisitor showed up. You recall the warning in the book's preface: the magic of life may have unintended consequences.

Well, isn't that true of everything in life?

1.Heal Tal's leg so we can keep running to the ancient dueling ground ahead where we can make our stand.
2.Sprout wings and carry Tal to a high dorm window, where something's glittering.
3.Part the wooden wall of the building next to us, dash inside, and reseal the wall.
Spoiler: Show

As-Yet-Nameless Protagonist

Magic-

Negation:0
Automation:0
Glamor:0
Divination:0
Vivomancy:0

Skills-

Ancient History: 0 (Bad)
Fighting: 1 (Bad)
Subtlety: 1 (Bad)
Charisma: 1 (Bad)

Personality-

Optimism:50%/Caution:50%
Humor:50%/Solemnity:50%
Empathy:50%/Calculation:50%

Relationships-

Tal: 50 (Fine)
Church: 50 (Fine)
Undiscovered relationships: 4

Kingdom-

Adoration:50%/Vilification:50%

Inventory-

Gold:100 gold
Sword

Students-

None

Pets-

None

The Dead-

Nobody

Plot Points-

Chapter 1:

You and Tal stumbled on an ancient magic academy.
You discovered a book of vivomancy, and an inquisitor chased you.

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
We heal Tal's leg.

"I can heal you," you say to Tal. "Hang on." You listen to the sounds of nature about you and feel the invisible strands that connect you to everything.

"Wait, you're going to magic me?" you distantly hear Tal say, but the roar of life in your ears quickly drowns her out. You thrust a hand toward the ground and draw on the power of life.

The smell of fresh-cut grass fills your nose as you embrace the power of vivomancy. You murmur the words of power from your book, and beams of light shoot from your hand to the ground, illuminating tiny living motes that swim through the air toward your hand. When your hand feels warm enough, you clap it to Tal's leg, startling her, and push the magical power into her.

Tal remains stiff as the power flows to her. When you withdraw your hand, it is wet with her blood, and you worry that you stopped too soon. But parting her leather armor pieces and the torn fabric underneath reveals that the wound has closed entirely. (Gained Vivomancy.)

In the future, do you want to know when your skills change, as with this mention of gaining vivomancy?

Yes, show these changes. (Recommended.)
No, hide these changes.

"You did it," Tal says, awed.

You then feel a slight queasiness—apparently, some of your own life powered the spell. Somehow, you had hoped the unpredictability of vivomancy would be more whimsical.

"Are you all right?" Tal asks. "You look a little unsteady." (Increased Tal Relationship.)

"I'm fine," you say. "Come on, let's keep moving."

Why did you choose to heal Tal for your first spell?

1.I didn't want to see her in pain.
2.I thought it would prove useful to have her healed.
3.I thought she'd be grateful and perhaps repay that gratitude.

Spoiler: Show

As-Yet-Nameless Protagonist

Magic-

Negation:0
Automation:0
Glamor:0
Divination:0
Vivomancy:1

Skills-

Ancient History: 0 (Bad)
Fighting: 1 (Bad)
Subtlety: 1 (Bad)
Charisma: 1 (Bad)

Personality-

Optimism:50%/Caution:50%
Humor:50%/Solemnity:50%
Empathy:50%/Calculation:50%

Relationships-

Tal: 55 (Good)
Church: 50 (Fine)
Undiscovered relationships: 4

Kingdom-

Adoration:50%/Vilification:50%

Inventory-

Gold:100 gold
Sword

Students-

None

Pets-

None

The Dead-

Nobody

Plot Points-

Chapter 1:

You and Tal stumbled on an ancient magic academy.
You discovered a book of vivomancy, and an inquisitor chased you.

Top Bottom