• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Play]Choice of Magics -Second run

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
We try escaping.

You try to wriggle free of your bonds.

When you get your wrists free, you feel that you'll never have an opportunity as good as the present one, so close to the entrance of the arena.

You spin around and dash out of the arena, provoking surprised shouts from the guards and a roar from the crowd.

Rounding a corner, you get down low, taking advantage of the Magisterian street crowd for cover. You can hear the guards' confused shouts behind you.

You waste no time in stealing the nearest airship skiff and willing it to take off.

Bolts of negative energy whiz past you, but you maneuver the skiff over the city walls.

As you watch the capital recede behind you, you breathe a sigh of relief.

Finally, you're headed home.

As you fly over the Negative Sea on the way home, you can't help but notice it seems…unwell? It's odd to think that a roiling cloud of death could have a temperament, but something about it seems a little off.

You hope it's nothing.

Unfortunately, you return to the capital to discover that the Magisterians have declared war, and have already made significant progress toward the heart of the kingdom. Akriton has been conquered, and Mayor Cos has led the refugees to Edra. The queen's strategy at this point is purely defensive, but she has had little luck fighting off the Magisterians thus far.

Cos seems sleepless and frazzled because of Akriton's fate, but he still seems glad to see you.

With the pleasantries out of the way, you go to the throne room and tell the queen what you've learned about the Magisterians.

(Gained Kingdom Power.)

The next year sees a string of successes for the queen's forces, as they push the Magisterians back toward the Negative Sea.

It helped that the high magister wasted time trying to find your sunken academy, per your instructions.

The Magisterian airships are no match for your agile airships, which swarm the Magisterian dreadnoughts and fire away with their rail guns until all that is left is a crewless hulk floating in midair.

Tremors throughout the kingdom intensify, until finally one of the Crown Mountains erupts in a geyser of black-and-purple negative energy, completely obliterating some nearby hamlets and throwing purple-and-black gas into the sky. The mountain then goes dormant again. Brave explorers peering down into the caldera report that they think they can see the dark sun itself, roiling far below.

You are there in your usual small dining room when a courier delivers the news to Queen Thecla. She pales, then waves the courier away.

"I wonder what we have done," Queen Thecla murmurs. "I can't blame you entirely, Saint Zig. I have been complicit as well. I've been teaching myself negation magic to protect against assassination attempts."

Indeed, the queen's practice at the royal archers' target range is an open secret. The queen's targets are scarecrows at thirty yards, hastily constructed because they are always consumed utterly by her blasts.

1."We've both done what was needed for the kingdom's protection."
2."This is my fault. I shouldn't have embraced negation magic."
3."I await your orders as always, my queen."
Spoiler: Show

Saint Zig

Appearance-

A stylish person wearing a fox pendant and dark robes that seem to harbor latent malevolence

Magic-

Negation:14
Automation:8
Glamor:2
Divination:6
Vivomancy:4

Skills-

Ancient History: 5 (Good)
Fighting: 2 (Decent)
Subtlety: 6 (Excellent)
Charisma: 4 (Good)

Personality-

Optimism:40%/Caution:60%
Humor:45%/Solemnity:55%
Empathy:41%/Calculation:59%

Relationships-

Tal: 45 (Bad)
Cos: 55 (Good)
Sam: 37 (Bad)
Thecla: 61 (Very Good)
Church: 40 (Bad)
Undiscovered relationships: 1

Kingdom-

Kingdom Power: 8 (Excellent)

Adoration:56%/Vilification:44%

Inventory-

Gold: 593 gold
Sword
Alchemy Set
Maximus Nought the Golem

Students-

Seer Marie

Pets-

None

The Dead-

The Academy Inquisitor
Espar the Neighbor

Plot Points-

Chapter 1:

You and Tal stumbled on an ancient magic academy.
You discovered a book of vivomancy, and an inquisitor chased you.
You found an ancient dueling ground.
You killed the inquisitor.
The inquisitor fled your luxgladius, but you chased him down and murdered him.
You explored the academy library.
A divination revealed a potential ally in the form of a golem, so you took a manual on the operation of golems from the library.
You gained control of the golem.
You made your way through an ancient harpyball arena.
You went around the back way into the auditorium.
You went around the back way into the laboratory.
You obtained a dragon egg from the crow's nest of an ancient airship.
The flame from the dragon's breath threatened to consume the whole sunken academy.
You escaped the magic academy and headed for your hometown of Akriton.

Chapter 2

You flew up the coast of the Negative Sea back to Akriton.
You told your parents that you now wield great power.
You met a hat seller but bought nothing from her.
You taught Seer Marie real magic.
Seer Marie told your fortune with kalot cards.
You allowed a thief to steal from Fruitseller Fran.
You parted and destroyed the death cloud threatening Akriton.
In jail, you heard you have visitors from the capital.

Chapter 3

Your visitors introduced themselves as the inquisitors Blessed Sam and Blessed Jacob, and they asked you some questions.
Blessed Sam asked you to heal his pet dragon, Thomas.
Sam left you bound, and you remained captured and set to be brought to the capital.

Chapter 4

You found yourself captured in the basement of the Cathedral.
You waited in the dungeon of the Cathedral, hoping for rescue.
The hierophant came to make an offer of sainthood to you.
You became a saint.

Chapter 5

You briefly returned to Akriton to prepare for sainthood.
You refused to turn over your magical items, and the offer to become a saint was rescinded.
You visited an artifact seller in the market who sold a variety of rare items, including something called a fateshaper.
Seer Marie told a fortune in which time is running out, things would come back from the past to haunt you, and you needed to pick something to concentrate in.
She said further you would have your choice between power and chaos, ingenuity and a desperate plan, a shattering crown, a monster with an all-seeing eye, and a tree hiding an enemy, and that you should embrace the magics of the sun when you walk in the shadow of death.
The queen offered you a position as an advisor, which you accepted.

Chapter 6

You returned to the capital, summoned by the queen for an interview.
You became an unofficial magical advisor to the queen.
You moved into the royal palace.
Spymaster Dol reported sightings of the Neighbors' airships near the Negative Sea.
The queen asked you to determine in what ways the kingdom should adopt magic to stay competitive with the Magisterians.
Blessed Sam became Blessed Advisor Sam when you arrived at court.
You recommended using negative energy as the main way to power the kingdom's industry and military.
You suggested the queen use glamor magic when interacting with the people.
Your power plants and factories came online without a problem.
You learned from a book that negative burn and rot cancel each other out.
Cos revealed a penchant for piloting.
A visit to your mother turned deadly when she turned out to be a shapeshifter, who attacked you with a knife.
Your mother recalled the shapeshifter was Fruitseller Fran.
Your mother's house was destroyed by a Magisterian bombardment.
You surrendered and allowed yourself to be captured.

Chapter 7

You were brought before the high magister and made to answer his questions before the Magisterian Senate.
You gave the high magister the real location of the sunken academy where you learned magic.
You met an old man named Espar in prison, who taught you some of the Magisterian language.
Espar told you that in the empire, magic costs money, and many can't afford to pay.
Espar went meekly to his death.
You walked to your execution in the center of a grand arena.
The Negative Sea seemed a bit off as you crossed it.
You return to the kingdom to find that the Magisterians have declared war and conquered Akriton.
Your forces succeeded in pushing the Neighbors back to the Negative Sea.

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
We did what we must to protect the kingdom. (After confirming that the Magisterians weren't hiring, of course.)

You assure the queen that you were both doing what had to be done.

"Perhaps," she says, still ashen-faced. "Excuse me. You are dismissed for the day." She gets up and retires to her chambers.

You think she appreciated your support. (Increased Thecla Relationship.)

You hope after that that the tremors will stop.

But they don't, and every month after that, a new mountain erupts into a volcano of negative energy, destroying any nearby towns and hamlets.

The dark sun is not well.

Your research turns up some mentions of such disasters in the time of the ancients, especially near the end of the Great War. But the ancients, it seems, had ways of mitigating the impact of their weapons. You know of no such methods; the knowledge has been lost. Who knows how bad these disasters may get?

As the war progresses, you begin to hear rumors that amateurs are beginning to practice magic across the kingdom. But you have no idea how bad it is until Mayor Cos comes to court to report on what has been happening in Akriton.

"It's gotten rather out of hand," Cos reports to the queen. "People I never would have expected to be capable of it are now using magic, and not to particularly good ends.

"For one thing, people are always in each other's business now that they've discovered divination magic. I think they must have learned it by watching the rituals used for broadcasting musicians across the kingdom. Now everybody knows too much about each other, and that's quite a recipe for trouble. People just aren't used to seeing each other's dirty laundry like that, you know?

"Speaking of divination, people have been going crazy for these entertainers being broadcast out of the capital, and a lot of young people have started imitating their use of glamors, too. Everybody knows the words, now that they've heard entertainers say them before their performances. Philautia omnes and all that. But it's killing our young people. They want to live fast and die young like their idols, but they're too young to make that kind of decision.

"In short, Akriton could use your help," Cos concludes. "I can hardly blame my people for trying to learn magic—I've tried to learn it myself, though I've discovered I have no aptitude for it. But we need some kind of plan that will get them to use it more responsibly."

"I knew this day would come," Blessed Advisor Sam says sadly. He looks to you. "I suppose I should have pressed you a bit more to hold back, my friend."

The queen sighs. "It would seem I am once again beholden to your judgment, Saint Zig. Do you have any sage advice? How do you get a fledgling wizard to desist?"

1.Support the Church's message that magic is only for the holy.
2.Establish magic schools around the kingdom to teach people to use magic responsibly.
3.Make it illegal to practice magic without the consent of the queen.
4.Interference will only make things worse. People should figure this out themselves.

Saint Zig

Appearance-

A stylish person wearing a fox pendant and dark robes that seem to harbor latent malevolence

Magic-

Negation:14

Skills-

Personality-

Relationships-

Thecla: 62 (Very Good)

Kingdom-

Kingdom Power: 8 (Excellent)

Adoration:56%/Vilification:44%

Inventory-

Sword
Alchemy Set
Maximus Nought the Golem

Students-

Seer Marie

Pets-

None

The Dead-

The Academy Inquisitor
Espar the Neighbor

Plot Points-

Chapter 1:

A divination revealed a potential ally in the form of a golem, so you took a manual on the operation of golems from the library.
The flame from the dragon's breath threatened to consume the whole sunken academy.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Your visitors introduced themselves as the inquisitors Blessed Sam and Blessed Jacob, and they asked you some questions.
Sam left you bound, and you remained captured and set to be brought to the capital.

Chapter 4

You became a saint.

Chapter 5

You refused to turn over your magical items, and the offer to become a saint was rescinded.
You visited an artifact seller in the market who sold a variety of rare items, including something called a fateshaper.
Seer Marie told a fortune in which time is running out, things would come back from the past to haunt you, and you needed to pick something to concentrate in.
She said further you would have your choice between power and chaos, ingenuity and a desperate plan, a shattering crown, a monster with an all-seeing eye, and a tree hiding an enemy, and that you should embrace the magics of the sun when you walk in the shadow of death.

Chapter 6

Spymaster Dol reported sightings of the Neighbors' airships near the Negative Sea.
The queen asked you to determine in what ways the kingdom should adopt magic to stay competitive with the Magisterians.
You recommended using negative energy as the main way to power the kingdom's industry and military.
A visit to your mother turned deadly when she turned out to be a shapeshifter, who attacked you with a knife.

Chapter 7

You were brought before the high magister and made to answer his questions before the Magisterian Senate.
You gave the high magister the real location of the sunken academy where you learned magic.
You met an old man named Espar in prison, who taught you some of the Magisterian language.
Espar told you that in the empire, magic costs money, and many can't afford to pay.
You return to the kingdom to find that the Magisterians have declared war and conquered Akriton.
Tremors and geysers of negative energy were reported all over the kingdom.

Valtiel

The most dangerous mistress
Validated User
Well, 1 is crap, 3 will only drive the problem underground, and 4 will result in mass death and civil unrest. 2 is the only sensible option.

HK-50

Protocol and Translation
Validated User
Magic schools.

"We can't undo the spread of magic," you tell Mayor Cos and Queen Thecla. "But what we can do is try to educate them, to prevent them from killing themselves."

"More magic?" Blessed Advisor Sam says, distressed.

"If you think that's best," Mayor Cos says uncertainly.

"I admit, it may have seemed uncharitable of the crown not to share its magic a bit more," Queen Thecla says. "Perhaps our citizens will come up with some novel innovations that make life better for everyone."

You travel from town to town trying to teach the brightest citizens of each region how to teach magic themselves.

You usually find at least one person in each region who is genuinely enthusiastic and motivated about magic, and you focus on teaching that person so that they can in turn teach others.

But when you sit in on your new teachers' first classes, you find most people see magic as an imposition on their normal way of life, just one more way in which they must catch up with their neighbors or fall behind. Studying magic for these students is a chore.

You can also tell some of these students are wondering what the point of learning about the magical esoterica is when there's a war going on, especially when that magic isn't useful for fighting. And to some extent, they're right; this educational push will take time and resources away from the war. (Lost Kingdom Power.)

You expect to hear complaints from Hierophant Elizabeth about your decision, but instead, there is a silence that speaks volumes.

As the people learn about magic, they do become more careful with it. Many didn't even realize that their glamors were slowly killing them, attributing the sickness of rot to their overindulgences while glamored. Others didn't realize that divination reveals information to those spied upon; people certainly become more reluctant to use the magic after that. At least the people appreciate these warnings. (Increased Adoration.)

Unfortunately, you think this has no effect on the bigger crisis facing you. The common people aren't responsible for the major disturbances in the dark sun.

You have the sinking feeling something terrible is about to happen.

GET OUT NOW.

The voice of Seer Marie makes you jump in your chair. By candlelight, you had been studying an old tome of negation that a noble family gave you to try to curry favor with you.

(Gained Negation.) You retreated to one of the tower solaria to read it, although by now, the skylight above you is dark.

Seer Marie must be using the divination magic you taught her to communicate with you.

What? Why? you ask, bewildered. You look out the window of your study, unsure of what time it is. Night, apparently.

The dark sun is awakening! Please, get out, the palace is going to be destroyed! Get out, get out, GET OUT!

Chapter 8:The Dark Sun Awakens

What about Thecla? What about Sam?

You have time to contact one person. But then GET OUT.

Who will you save?

1.I will try to save Thecla.
2.I will try to save Sam.

Saint Zig

Appearance-

Magic-

Negation:15

Skills-

Personality-

Relationships-

Thecla: 62 (Very Good)

Kingdom-

Kingdom Power: 6 (Good)

Adoration:62%/Vilification:38%

Inventory-

Sword
Alchemy Set
Maximus Nought the Golem

Students-

Seer Marie

Pets-

None

The Dead-

The Academy Inquisitor
Espar the Neighbor

Plot Points-

Chapter 1:

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

You became a saint.

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Tremors and geysers of negative energy were reported all over the kingdom.
Seer Marie warned you that negative energy would destroy the palace.

Chapter 8

Top Bottom