[Let's Play] NetHack 3.6.1

Bicorn

Validated User
They certainly are rather underpriced for their utility. Of course, the problem isn't having the gold to pay for one but finding one in the first place.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They certainly are rather underpriced for their utility. Of course, the problem isn't having the gold to pay for one but finding one in the first place.
My one and only other ascension run, I found three of 'em -- two before the castle and another one lying on the ground in Gehennom. Talk about setting the bar unrealistically high. They've been much less frequent in this game.

Last edited:

Gadora

Validated User
I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind some variety a la SporkHack's cavern filler levels. But mapping these out in their entirety is...well, "fun" is probably the wrong word, but I do feel a pleasant sense of mild satisfaction when I finish one and look at the whole thing.
Very much this. I find them almost meditative.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Since I have acquired a new source of an emergency wish, I went ahead and wrested the one last wish from my first wand of wishing to acquire another magic marker. Among the treasures I was able to ID from the subsequent blessed scroll of identify was a wand of enlightenment.

Glad I did, too, because somehow Tharg lost his intrinsic speed. The phrase "You are fast" should appear on that list, because Tharg gets speed at level 7. Dunno when or where he lost it, but zapping him with a wand of speed monster will restore his intrinsic speed permanently. (Or until he loses it again somehow.)

Also went ahead and buffed some armor, including the Hawaiian shirt I found in the Castle that has been sitting in my stash waiting for me to find some scrolls of enchant armor. AC now a respectable -41.

The Vorpal Blade is a longsword that has a 5% chance of instantly decapitating (and, thus, killing) any monster with an actual head. It also has a 5% chance of instantly decapitating (and, thus, killing) YOU if you run into a monster that's wielding it.

The most likely place you will run into a monster wielding the Vorpal Blade is on the Astral Plane at the very end of the game. J jarell88 had a rather soul-crushing surprise insta-death a mere 50 steps or so away from ascending and winning the game in his old NetHack thread due to a monster with a Vorpal Blade rolling a natural 20 on the attack roll.

Although such a death is improbable (there's a low chance of a monster spawning with the blade, and then a low chance of it actually decapitating you), it's easy enough to prevent completely if you're a neutral character by sacrificing and praying until you get the Vorpal Blade yourself. As long as you've got it stashed in a box or a bag somewhere, you never have to worry about it being used against you.

In other news, I was doing a little light reading of the NetHack wiki today and discovered that Angels have a 25% chance of spawning with a shield of reflection. Tharg fought that Renegade Fabio of Harlequin in Vlad's Tower a couple of updates ago, and since we're heading back down to the bowels of Hell anyways to annoy Rodney, I figured I'd swing by Vlad's Tower and check. And sure enough...

There was also a Long Sword that might be Demonbane or the Sunsword. Will BUC test it when we get to Orcus Town.

[time passes]

Well, it's not the Sunsword. Still might be Demonbane. In the Bag of Holding it goes.

Why yes, RNG, I will take a randomly generated wand of wishing just lying around on the floor! And that will just about wrap things up for this game, barring something RILLY stupid on my part. (Not out of the question by any means.)

Still haven't found a wand of polymorph yet, though. Wacky. Two wands of wishing, no wands of polymorph.

Bah, stupid nalfeshnees. The one I just killed unblessed my weapons. Now I don't get that lovely wall of green text when I first open my inventory.

Also lose the 1d4 bonus damage against undead and major demons. Bah.

I'm carrying a single phial of holy water, but I was saving it in case of lycanthropy or other issues which can be solved by holy water. Guess I'll re-bless my mace instead.

Flying up the levels now. If Tharg keeps this up, he'll be a Nomad before long.

Oof. Nalfeshnee got me again. The problem here is not the lamp, which remains unaffected in its ability to provide light. The problem is with the pick-axe, which I can no longer use without it sticking fast to my hands and making me unable to use a real weapon.

At this point in the game, the biggest threats are quality-of-life threats like this. Tharg is in no danger of being killed, but I am in danger of being annoyed.

Time to head back up to the stash as soon as I finish up mapping the last little bit of this level.

Man, I would love to know the story behind how this mastodon came to be carrying a cream pie.

The perils of inattention.

I had a cursed pickaxe and a curse lamp, see? So I used a blessed scroll of remove curse to uncurse 'em. Saved me from losing two potions of holy water.

Unfortunately, I had also put all my unholy water in my inventory. So now I don't have any unholy water. I just have...water.

Many turns later, after dipping potions to dilute them and reading a blessed scroll of remove curse while confused, I once again had unholy water (and more holy water). And for my first wish from my new wand...

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User

A ring of protection. The +4 AC bonus is negligible. The number of critters that can successfully hit -41 AC but not -45 AC is, I suspect, vanishingly small.

No, the important bit here is the +1 Magic Cancellation, which stacks with the MC2 from the Oilskin Cloak to provide Tharg with MC3. This will be a significant boost to his defense against all manner of magical melee attacks (e.g. level drain from vampires, level drain from wights, paralysis from shades, etc).

Had a brief scare when using the blessed scroll of remove curse. The previous times I've used this technique, I locked Tharg in a closet and dropped everything in his inventory on the ground except for the scroll of remove curse and all the water he was trying to bless/curse.

But the blessed scroll of remove curse won't affect the beatitude of blessed or cursed items. It only affects uncursed items. So this time I left all my armor and stuff on so I wouldn't have to mess with it.

Afterwards, I noticed that my entire inventory was white. No green text. Nothing blessed. Thought I had screwed up in a big, big way.

Then I remembered that, while the actual beatitude of the items isn't affected, Tharg's knowledge of the beatitude of the items was cleared. All the blessed items were still blessed, but Tharg had to re-BUC-test them on the altar to regain that knowledge.

Man, the hits just keep on coming.

I had enough potions of full healing to serve as an emergency stash for my eventual ascension run that I no longer really needed 14 potions of extra healing. So I blessed them all and started quaffing to boost my max HP. 14 x 5 = 70 extra HP, which is nothing to sneeze at, and will hopefully provide a useful buffer against air elementals in the Plane of Air.

So there I was, quaffing away, when this guy pops up.

And, like, I don't even know what to wish for. I know what Tharg's last wish will be, assuming he doesn't find one in the dungeon before he makes his final run. But this right here? No clue. Artifacts are out of the question. There are (at least) five in the game right now, only a 1/3rd chance of getting a wished-for artifact.

Lessee... How about...?

A little extra damage can't hurt.

Amazingly, I still have 4 wishes remaining (3 zaps + 1 wrest) on that wand of wishing I found down in the dungeon AND an 80% chance for another wish on my magic lamp AND 10 more potions of extra healing to quaff, which may result in yet another wish! (Roughly 36% chance of getting another wish from quaffing by my calculations.)

[time passes]

Nope, no more wishes from quaffing. But Tharg is now at 248 HP, which is pretty solid.

And there's the entrance to Rodney's bedroom. We'll be paying it a visit later, but not right now. Gotta find the vibrating square first, then do one last round of prep before annoying Rodney.

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly, and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Vibrating Square. If Vibrating Square begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head. Do not taunt Vibrating Square.

Doing final prep for the ascension run. This and a magic marker are going to be my last wishes from my extra wand. I figured I'd do it now rather than spend N turns trying to wrest one last wish from the wand while Rodney is hot on Tharg's heels. (N = 83 for 50% confidence that you'll get a wrested wish. N = 361 for 95% confidence. Standing around for 361 turns while Rodney keeps popping in and out seems ill-advised.)

Figured I'd go ahead and get crowned just for the bragging rights. No crowning gift, though, because the crowning gift for Neutrals is the Vorpal Blade, which I already have. Still, it's nice to have one's deity recognize one's contributions by bestowing a fancy title.

And here we are inside Rodney's condo. Door was unlocked, so Tharg let himself in.

Good afternoon, sir and/or madam! I am here today to tell you about our wonderful product, the Kirby Vacuum Cleaner! Allow me to set up a small demonstration...

Great SCOTT, sir and/or madam! A MOST unfortunate malfunction! I've never seen one of our vacuums do THAT before! Allow me to leave you my card, we'll be happy to pay for any damages!

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User

A flaming purple book. I think they sell these at Hot Topic.

Invocation ritual has been conducted. We're in the home stretch now.

Sir and/or madam, I am exceedingly sorry about your carpet and the equipment malfunction. But that's no reason to follow me around!

Tharg is disquieted from all of these Tharg corpses littering the ground. Are they Alternate Thargs? Despite having received a few boosts to his intellect, Tharg is not yet ready to deal with the philosophical implications of multiple Tharg corpses.

Well, it took until the very lowest level of the dungeon, but a Cloak of Magic Resistance has finally shown up.

Still haven't found a wand of polymorph. Guess I'll be finishing with the "did not polymorph objects" conduct intact.

I'd say the evidence speaks for itself, frankly.

Man, that was a mess. Handy tip, though: Wands of Cancellation appear to keep the Priests and Priestesses of Moloch from being able to curse your stuff or summon insects.

Now for the tedious business of making it back to the top of the dungeon. I have already gone through and carved out the quickest path from stair to stair on each level. Hopefully the Mysterious Force won't be too much of a pest.

I'd say these are things I would prefer to NOT have cursed. Time for that stash of blessed scrolls of remove curse I've cleverly brought along with me.

DLVL 10. We're almost there.

WAIT NO I'VE CHANGED MY MIND.

TUNE IN NEXT TIME to see if Tharg overcomes his bout of cold feet.

KoboldLord

Validated User
You probably lost your intrinsic speed when you tangled with the shades in OrcusTown. They are deceptively more dangerous than they look, being capable of permanently removing your intrinsic speed and paralyzing you for lengthy amounts of time. They share the same tile representation as a completely harmless player ghost, and they only ever appear naturally in OrcusTown so you don't really get much chance to acclimate yourself to the threat they pose. They're also completely invincible if you somehow made it this far without an artifact weapon and your regular weapon got unblessed by some enemy spellcaster earlier.

It's probably a good idea to never fight a shade with other monsters nearby.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
See, this is why I sold Electrolux vacuums. Far lower rate of accidental fatalities on those. Rainbows are straight-up murderous, though.

Afterburner

RPGnet Member
Validated User
You probably lost your intrinsic speed when you tangled with the shades in OrcusTown. They are deceptively more dangerous than they look, being capable of permanently removing your intrinsic speed and paralyzing you for lengthy amounts of time. They share the same tile representation as a completely harmless player ghost, and they only ever appear naturally in OrcusTown so you don't really get much chance to acclimate yourself to the threat they pose. They're also completely invincible if you somehow made it this far without an artifact weapon and your regular weapon got unblessed by some enemy spellcaster earlier.

It's probably a good idea to never fight a shade with other monsters nearby.
Even with a blessed artifact weapon they still took an annoyingly long time to kill.

Top Bottom