• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Play] Touhou: The beginner's guide to danmaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heh. Like all trance/techno songs, I tune out the actual lyrics. Yeah, the actual lyrics of Bad Apple is very cliche, but most trance songs are like that. (looks at actual subtitle) Man, that's some shoddy translation there.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Not counting all the fan produced animated vids and projects, huh? :) There has been anime, actually. It was fan produced, and actually had some decent star power in it. Zun asked them not to do it again; For some reason, he doesnt seem to like the idea.

I have to admit, half the fun of the entire Touhou thing is the HUGE fanbase and what it comes up with in lieu of official material. I think something like 90% of all known 'facts' on characters is just commonly accepted fan canon.
That is the 'some reason' that ZUN doesn't want a Touhou anime. An anime would be the first step towards creating an 'official' canon, which Zun doesn't really want. Most of the history written about the setting by Zun is told through the point of view of compulsive liars and people passing on fuzzy secondhand information.

jarell88

Retired User
That is the 'some reason' that ZUN doesn't want a Touhou anime. An anime would be the first step towards creating an 'official' canon, which Zun doesn't really want. Most of the history written about the setting by Zun is told through the point of view of compulsive liars and people passing on fuzzy secondhand information.
In other words, ZUN want's "canon" to be whatever the fandom sees it to be, and doesn't want to break or disprove anything?

Man, that's a refreshing point of view, and I can respect that if it's the case.

Mejiro

I think I'm a Drow now
Validated User
Eh, just have cute girls firing lasers at each other for half an hour to an hour while funky techno music plays. It'll be better than Queen's Blade (admittedly, hitting yourself in the testicles with a hammer is better than Queen's Blade, but still...) Or do some kind of multiple re-telling of the same story, with everybody claiming that they were the obvious victor and everyone else is a liar. Slap some yuri (sub?)text in there and you're good to go - kinda lika Nanoha, but without the morals and optimism, just kleptomaniac witches, befriending priestess and murderous devils.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
Ghost team for the win!

Mostly because having Yuyuko being an idiot savant or a willfully ditzy genuis who only plays stupid to annoy her gardener, is pretty fun.

Failing that, I like the Scarlet team.

As for Alice?
My (flawed) understanding is that she is a human from another dimension who's made the transition (with magic) from being human to being a youkai of the magician type. She is no longer human but ages as a youkai, i.e. barely at all.
She controls dolls with magic threads as has many different types of dolls for different purposes most of her attacks use dolls. She's quite scholary and a bit of a looner. She dreams of creating a living, independent doll. Currently she can mimic life and speech with her dolls but she still has to control them by "hand".

Remilia Scarlet? She's a vampire who have locked her little sister in her basement for the last 800 years, because her sister is both way too insane and way too powerful to ever let out. She also owns a pretty awesome mansion and claims kinship with Valad Tepes, but that's probably a lie. She's not a very nice person.

red_star in more knowledgable of touhou things than me.

Last edited:

Yuyu

Yokel Felon King
Validated User
Ghost team for the win!

Mostly because having Yuyuko being an idiot savant or a willfully ditzy genuis who only plays stupid to annoy her gardener, is pretty fun.
Yuyuko is hilarious. Honestly, she's my favorite character from any medium.

Today, in my Intro to Public Speaking class, we had to give a tribute speech...and I gave mine to Yuyuko. Completely without context, just the way she'd like it. Baffled the class and got an A. I'd like to think that's the greatest tribute of all.

I'll be looking forward to this, too. Touhou Project is a really fun game series, but it always kicks my ass. Every time I play, I end up unintentionally doing an AVGN impression.

Last edited:

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
Yuyuko is hilarious. Honestly, she's my favorite character from any medium.

Today, in my Intro to Public Speaking class, we had to give a tribute speech...and I gave mine to Yuyuko. Completely without context, just the way she'd like it.

I'll be looking forward to this, too. Touhou Project is a really fun game series, but it always kicks my ass. Every time I play, I end up unintentionally doing an AVGN impression.
She's also a adorable glutton.
And well.. just adorable covers a lot of it. And a complete hedonist, dead and loving it is a expression that fits her to a glove.

And pretty damn powerful fluff-wise. Having the power to "invoke death in mortals" tend to do that.

But yeah... hard. I've been stuck on number 10 for forever.

Last edited:

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
I finally managed to 'beat' EoSD on Normal about 2 months ago with Marissa. (And by Beat I mean finished the game with no continues) I should really get back into playing more regularly.

Which reminds me, I think the game the OP's playing has my favorite bit of Marissa music :D

jarell88

Retired User
There are no other pieces of Marisa music. Love Colored Master Spark is her only true theme, all all who say otherwise are blasphemers! :D

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
These phenomena where you have an original work and a whole bunch of layered fan and canon mythology around it fascinates me, but the sheer impossibility of the actual game (aka: i suck ;)) has always prevented me getting into Touhou, so I'll be following this thread with interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom