• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Play] Vous êtes Napoléon (You are Napoléon)

SuperG

Validated User
I'm afraid I don't see the relation of reference. Would you care to explain?
230. Two Thirty. Tooth Hurty. :)

Although I'm loath to criticize the author since he's made a fine job so far, admittedly presenting two options so unbalanced in size and detail is a bit of a faux pas.

By the way, I've been thinking about one of the reasons for the delay. In the instance above, as in quite a few others, I have to post two or three sections in one go, since no real choice is given us. Another approach might be to post each section once it's completed and duly edited (I often heavily edit my rough draft).

The advantage is that the thread would be updated more often (hopefully). The disadvantage would be that after some updates, you would not be expected to play. (You should of course feel free to otherwise comment at all times. On my translation, on our current situation, on other comments, what have you.)
Whatever's easier really. We can certainly have comments on choiceless progressions.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
We can't allow our soldiers to be murdered in the streets! We need them to be murdered in the field! Retaliate.

Sirharrok

Validated User
We need to be seen as tough, but fair. Retaliate.

(My vote would be to retain your polished format, btw)

Francois Tremblay

Validated User
Seems like we must take the iron hand approach again. I don't like it, but we can't let our soldiers be killed without reprisals. I'd much rather we march out again, but in lieu of that, let's mete out some punishments.
Also, thanks for mentioning that other LP, I will definitely check it out. If you need any translation help, I have some experience in that area, so don't hesitate to ask.

Drogo

Unrepentant Gamer
RPGnet Member
Validated User
If the Italians have grievances, then they can give us credible reports. We punished misconduct of soldiers before... so retaliate.

Flynn

Validated User
I was leaning towards not retaliating until I read the part about "even those found with weapons in their hands". It is necessary that we retaliate.

jd.

Friendly Stranger
Validated User
I've been kept busy by various concerns recently, and have found little time to pit my wits against the translation. Apologies yet again, but still sincere.

We hear the italian people sing — and silence them. (What with that and how we turned down signora Grassini, I guess we don't like opera that very much.)
Such sternness was unfortunately necessary. Isolated assaults cease. Your spirit heightened following your reunion with your wife, you prepare to face the new austrian army.

Turn to 364.
Apparently those first, fatal steps towards tyranny look harmless.
You engage in a prodigious flurry of military and diplomatic activity. You negotiate an agreement with the pope, both as a head of state and as the leader of the Catholics. His Holiness commits to breaking his alliance with Austria, and to ending any and all anti-french propaganda from the clergy. You tax all the italian states, for the greater good of the Republic's finances. Where your armies occupy italian territories, those are efficiently administered and order is enforced. You settle in the port of Livorno, hastily evacuated by the English who withdraw to Corsica.

There, to your surprise, you receive an invitation to dinner for yourself and a few officers of your choice, in the home of grand duke Ferdinand, brother of the emperor of Austria, a country with whom France is at war.
Anyone worried that this is getting too simple?
The grand duke, who owns a palace in Livorno, is widely known as a pacifist and enjoys great prestige throughout Europe. Your army may control the city, but there's no using violence against him. Beside being pointless, that would incite ire and contempt from every european nation.
  • Will you accept his invitation without taking particular precaution? Turn to 86.
  • Will you attend the invitation, but demand that all dishes be tried by a food taster in front of you, for fear of poison? Turn to 20.
  • Will you refuse? Turn to 325.
I'm not sure the author saw the irony in turning to 86 to accept an invitation for a meal. I don't remember where or when I learned about that piece of slang myself.

Of course, once I noticed that I had to see if 20 has a hidden meaning, and it does: historically, it referred in Britain to an old English division of infantry.

Lastly, 325 in and of itself has no particular meaning. Nor do three hundred or twenty-five (except the latter is a solitaire game).

(By the way, in a week I'll be gone for four days to enjoy the theater festival in Avignon with my wife. I'll do my best to post the next instalment by then, once you have voted.)

Numerological considerations aside, do we accept this invitation, and if so, to which conditions?

Last edited:
Top Bottom