• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] 4e Setting Lore/Nentir Vale/Nerath

VoidDrifter

Validated User
I've completed my Let's Read of 4e's Domains of Dread. I'm reaching the final stages of Faces of the Planes and Racial Lore. I've reached the last of the Dragon articles on monsters. So, now it's time to bite the big one: I want to do a Let's Read of all the myriad articles across Dragon Magazine (and to a lesser extent Dungeon Magazine?) that provide some level of context to the 4e Base Setting. Call it Nentir Vale, Nerath, Points of Light, PoLand, whatever you want; one of the hardest obstacles to surmount for many was the fact there was no "Campaign Setting" splatbook, no "Nentir Vale Gazetteer"; instead, the information was scattered across many sources, predominantly magazine articles.

My plan is to cover the wide array of once-off articles that looked at different corners of the Points of Light world, as well as serials, most prominently Nerathi Legends. Who's interested? Who will join me in reading through these scattered articles?

And if anyone's interested, can you please post the maps of the Nentir Vale and the wider Nerath World? They're over in the thread "Tell Me of Nentir Vale", which is what partially set me on this path.

For reference, here is my index of every single Dragon & Dungeon article; I will create my planned list of articles for this Let's Read below the link, but I encourage interested readers to check the link and nominate any articles that you feel I've missed. In fact... let's settle something now: should I stick exclusively to the Locations type articles? Or should I also examine the Groups and NPCs articles as well, since articles like the Ashen Covenant of Orcus or the Wolves of Maldeen or the Guilds & Groups series also paint more of a picture of the Nentir Vale world? What about the History Check articles, since these generally recast the subject of their topic through the lens of the World Axis and the Nentir Vale world?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xykIN7bAV5iUhZ7ZRQn1Ijwf-i-Lk7nz7IqXBvUJK_U/edit#

Dragon Magazine:
#364: Vor Kragal: Lost City of Bael Turath
#366: Mithrendain, Citadel of the Feywild
#369: Io'Vanthor: Lost City of the Dragonborn
#371: Legacy of Acerak(?), Hestavar - The Bright City
#372: Secrets of the City Entombed(?)
#374: The White Lotus Academy
#377: Tu'Narath - City of Death
#386: On Civilizations Fringes: Humans of the Wild
#392: Homeland: Everwatch
#393: Murkroot Trade Moot, Legacy of Nerath(?),
#397: Faith & Heresy(?)
#398: Nerathi Legends: Sarthel, City of Silver
#399: Nerathi Legends: The Seven Kings of Karkoth
#400: Nerathi Legends: The Iron Wolf Barbarians
#401: Nerathi Legends: Merindaelion, Barony of the Emerald Blade
#402: Nerathi Legends: Adretia, the Citadel of Iron's Grasp
#403: Academies of Magic(?), Nerathi Legends: Realm of the Gorgon King
#405: Nerathi Legends: The Knights of Rethmil
#406: Nerathi Legends: Rangers of Cernall

Dungeon Magazine:
#186: Backdrop: Mistwatch
#189: Backdrop: Diyun, the Hanging City
#194: War College
#198: Tavern Profile: Jaggerbad Skyhouse

In addition to the above, would folks like me to incorporate the mini-setting booklets Vor Rukoth and Hammerfast into this Let's Read?

prankster_dragon

Something Terrible
Validated User
I'll vote 'yes' on including Vor Rukoth and Hammerfast, partly because I think Hammerfast is great (and the PCs homebase in my current campaign) and also because they don't really fit elsewhere in terms of grouping.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
In fact... let's settle something now: should I stick exclusively to the Locations type articles? Or should I also examine the Groups and NPCs articles as well, since articles like the Ashen Covenant of Orcus or the Wolves of Maldeen or the Guilds & Groups series also paint more of a picture of the Nentir Vale world? What about the History Check articles, since these generally recast the subject of their topic through the lens of the World Axis and the Nentir Vale world?
Do everything you can do without burning yourself out.

prankster_dragon

Something Terrible
Validated User
I tend to feel it's just easier to do them in chronological order, but iirc Mithrendain ties into several recurring elements across 4E as a line, so that could also be a good place to start.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
I think the articles with setting elements that aren't technically locations are quite important too. But for organization it still makes sense to do the location ones first.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Maps!

The full board game. No idea what the icons signify, but they might tell us stuff about the regions.

The regular world-ish map.

And the Vale proper.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
An excerpt apparently from the board game:

Dark Empire of Karkoth (Karkoth)
The warlocks who rule Karkoth wield terrible powers of necromancy and shadow. Their undead armies hold a dozen lands in thrall, enforcing their demands for tribute and new conscripts. Karkoth enjoys an aggressive starting position but has the weakest Event cards. If you enjoy a straightforward land war, this is the realm for you.

Vailin Alliance (Vailin)
Elven lands allied with mercantile human city-states, this realm benefits from prosperous trade routes and elemental control, giving it the best navy in the world. If you want to rule the seas, consider playing the Vailin Alliance.

Iron Circle
Goblin kingdoms, mercenaries, and warlike cities unite under the Iron Circle to create the world’s strongest armies. The Iron Circle’s wizards also command infernal forces, adding the element of surprise to its Event deck. This realm is best for someone who wants to play a balanced force.

Nerathan League (Nerath)
These feudal survivor states—mostly human and dwarven—are all that remain of the fallen Empire of Nerath. The League is on the verge of collapse, caught between the aggressive forces of Karkoth and the Iron Circle. However, it has the strongest Event cards, representing brave heroes who flock to the Nerathan banner. If you enjoy the underdog role, escaping certain death in the nick of time, consider the Nerathan League.

Top Bottom