• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] 4e's Faces of the Planes

CaliberX

Validated User
Which Kordite article, specifically? Or do you want all three?

In fact, I actually covered the article "Channel Divinity: Windswept Lord" in my Let's Read of the racial articles from Dragon, as it's about the faith of Kord as worshipped by the Dwarf race. Shall I cover it again here with an attempt at a new perspective?
I hadn't even realized there were multiple Kord articles, lol. Any of them would be fine, although as a half-orc, the dwarven interpretation of Kord's precepts are probably not the most useful. Either of the other two would be interesting to see written on though. :)

Victim

Validated User
It seems like she combos pretty well with upleveled dryads - everyone uses their illusory disguise and picks the same thing, then the queen can pull bait and switch tricks with her swap power - which one has the crazy reach triggered powers?

VoidDrifter

Validated User
It seems like she combos pretty well with upleveled dryads - everyone uses their illusory disguise and picks the same thing, then the queen can pull bait and switch tricks with her swap power - which one has the crazy reach triggered powers?
Sorry, what do you mean by this quoted part?

I hadn't even realized there were multiple Kord articles, lol. Any of them would be fine, although as a half-orc, the dwarven interpretation of Kord's precepts are probably not the most useful. Either of the other two would be interesting to see written on though. :)
Alright, I'll try and get those next. The Let's Read of the Windswept Lord article can be found here; I don't really know if I need to rewrite it here or not.

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/lets-read-4e-racial-supplements.816496/post-21422012

Victim

Validated User
Sorry, what do you mean by this quoted part?
She has this:

Finally, she has two Triggered Actions, both of which she can use At-Will. When an enemy within 4 squares leaves a square or makes a ranged or area attack, she can make a Writhing Briar attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt, thanks to Unseen Briar.
Which is rather similar to threatening reach, I suppose. PCs, if they have the option and know about it, generally try to play around threatening reach and the equivalent. However, let's say the Bramble Queen has some lower level dryad type allies with their similar illusionary disguise trait. If they all disguise into the same appearance and Brambles uses her swap power at the end of action, people aren't going to know which one is which (barring anti-illusions or really high insight checks). If people don't know which one is the real Bramble Queen, and thus has the triggered attacks, it's going to be harder for them to try to avoid them - any one of the enemies could have the threat zone.

VoidDrifter

Validated User
Alright, I promised Channel Divinities devoted to Kord, so let's take a look...

Channel Divinity: Kord's Fury
Originally, Channel Divinity was intended to be the crunch-centric "Player Focused" article series on the gods of the World Axis or other settings, with Deities & Demigods being the fluff-centric "DM Focused" article series. That notion went awry somewhere along the lines, and Channel Divinities expanded to become more lore-encompassing.

Sadly, as one of the early Channel Divinity articles, Kord's Fury has very little fluff going for it - it's mostly a reiteration of the same fluff presented for Kord in the PHB and DMG, before it dives into the meat of the article; an array of new Kord-themed prayers, consisting of 3 prayers each for the Avenger and Cleric, and 4 prayers each for the Invoker and Paladin. Since the flavor text is so short, I'll just copy-paste it here.

'Kord's Fury' said:
Thunder echoes across the countryside. Threatening dark clouds tumble down from the frozen north. Rain lashes the shores, while reavers on dragon-prow ships scour the seas, searching for glory, battle, and plunder. Smoke and death drifts on the wind, carrying with them the sounds of clashing steel and death cries from the fallen. And in all these things is Kord— he who is named Storm Father, Lord of Battle, and Warmaster.

Kord is no god for the faint of heart. Weakness has no place in the Storm Father’s eyes. Kord demands prowess, courage, and strength in his followers, but he offers much in return—with power and glory at the forefront. For all his ferocity, Kord is not wanton in his destruction—such slaughter is best left to lesser gods. Wisdom tempers his wrath, and he is quick to offer mercy to those who admit they are less than he. In this way, Kord is an honorable warrior, but he is also no fool. Those who cross him find swift and final death because Kord brooks no betrayal and punishes all who wrong him and his own.

To be accepted into Kord’s service requires much from the petitioner. A devotee must demonstrate strength, courage, and ferocity—qualities Kord respects. Moreover, candidates must display devotion to excellence in all they do. Often, priests undergo punishing rites and trials to test their endurance. They might quest against the Warmaster’s enemies, withstand brutal beatings by elder priests, and spend countless hours training with myriad weapons. Those who fail are never scorned, but they are praised for their willingness to try. Those who succeed are welcomed with great celebration into the Battle Lord’s retinue.

Channel Divinity: Champions of Kord
'Champions of Kord' said:
The chill wind heralds him with its howling. The darkening sky is his cloak sweeping over the land. His face is the angry thunderhead, and when he speaks, his rumbling voice can be heard for miles. Lightning leaps from his briefest glance, and he lashes the world with rain and beats it with hail. From a throne of storms, Kord looks down upon all and sees too much weakness. His disgust fuels his wrath, and by his harshness he hopes to sow new strength. Those who cower at the thunder and hug themselves against the rain, those who flinch away from his fist—they mean nothing to Kord. Yet those who shout against the roar of the wind, and those who face the furor with cold determination—whether it comes from a storm in the sky or the frenzy of battle—these Kord smiles upon. And if they can grin at danger and laugh in the face of death, Kord laughs with them, long and hard.
In stark contrast to the Kord's Fury article above, this Channel Divinity, released 9 issues later, is much more expansive on the fluff side of things, with its crunch consisting of a handful of Kordite-appropriate backgrounds (which just barely qualify as crunch, given how 4e treats backgrounds), and 3 Skill Powers each for Athletics and Endurance.

Basics of the Faith
Kord is, for the most part, a "sometimes god". Which means is that his specific portfolio is of limited use to the majority of people, so he is invoked only in times of need or when his attention feels relevant; a farmer asking him for strong sons, a smith beseeching him that their armor will serve well in battle, a patriot asking him to visit his storms and wars upon foreign shores.

Only those in violent professions - sailors, gladiators, soldiers, raiders, mercenaries, bullies and thugs - worship Kord extensively, and they know that he shows the most favor to those with the courage to fight for themselves.

Like all 4e deities, Kord's dogma is summed up in four simple maxims, although the interpretation can depend on who is preaching them:
  • Have Courage: Be brave at all times. No challenge that can be overcome should be avoided out of fear. If you must retreat, regroup and return.
  • Be Strong: Maintain your health and grow your strength. Reject that which would weaken you. Endure what must be endured. Surpass what can be surpassed. Show your strength through action.
  • Fight: Never submit to something that can be surmounted. Allow no enemy to win by your inaction. Face problems and foes directly. If you want your enemies to be strong, attack their weaknesses. Pit your strength against an enemy’s so that you can grow stronger.
  • Honor Those Who Show Strength and Courage: Favor them as Kord does, with a comrade’s hand or a challenge that can make them stronger. Honor brave enemies more than cowardly friends.

Kord's Faithful
Kord is worshipped by many races and many cultures, which results in him being honored many different ways. Now, this actually normal in the Dawn War pantheon, but the article actually calls out Kord's faith as being less organized than most.

Example faiths we are given consist of:
* A kingdom of dwarves who honor Kord as Moradin's general, praying to him for strong arms on the forge and keen thinking on the field of battle.
* Elves who fear Kord as the god of tempests, seeking to placate him with offerings tied to birds that are released into stormy skies.
* An eladrin warrior academy that dedicates their bodies to Kord, honoring him with daily hours-long sessions of intense physical training.
* Human barbarians who roar Kord's name as they charge into battle.
* An elf tribe that reveres Kord's fierceness and emulates it with their hit-and-run tactics.
* Humans who construct temple-coliseums to Kord and hold games and gladiatorial battles in his honor.
* Dwarves who build iron towers atop their mountains in hopes of attracting Kord's blessed touch, using the lightning strikes to augur the strength of their foes.

This diversity might stem from the fact that Kord is remarkably hands-off in regards to his worship - and his worshippers. It's a matter of rote dogma for Kordites that Kord picks no favorites, blessing the bravest and the strongest from both sides, indifferent to the reasons behind the conflict. That said, might does not make right; Kord doesn't care about the ethos, but believes in strength and courage for its own sake.

Various warrior-scholars have wrestled over the reason behind Kord's amoral and impartial stance. And they will continue to do so, because Kord dismisses such idle conjecture wherever it crops up. There are three major theories.
* The first is that Kord believes righteousness will be made stronger through adversity.
* The second is that Kord believes strength and courage should not be bound by rules and moral strictures.
* Finally, there's the theory that Kord is preparing his followers for the ultimate conflict to come; a Dusk War to match the Dawn War that was fought at the dawn of creation. These theorists are split between whether Kord is seeking to test if good or evil will be the strongest weapon Kord can wield in the Dusk War, or if he simply believes that morality should be set aside in order to gather and unite the mightiest of all warriors together to defeat this apocalyptic foe.

Entering the Faith:
Most people learn of Kord's faith from a young age, as his roles make him amongst the many gods that children throughout the mortal realms are taught to pay homage to. They come to know Kord as the one whose anger or pleasure rumbles through the heavens, the god who brings the slashing rain and biting wind. They are taught that Kord demands strength in their labors and rewards it with bountiful results. The thunder is Kord, and the dark clouds are Kord too. The thrill of a contest is Kord, as is the heady rush one feels when in danger.

In the article, this section - titled "Initiation" in the article - examines possible ways that the PC could have come to form a deeper bond to Kord. Basically, why does your PC choose Kord as a personal patron, rather than simply praying to him in times of need like most people? Four basic methods of initiation are presented, each in basic terms mixed with questions aimed at inspiring the player to think about their character.

The Acolyte was simply schooled in a temple of Kord, and so naturally gravitated him. The player is asked to think about the nature of Kord's temple, who taught them, whether they wished to join the temple and what reason, if any, Kord has a dedicated temple in the lands of their youth.

The Legacy character, on the other hand, follows Kord because they have a family tradition of doing so. Questions for this initiation ask how the character feels about their destiny, what failure means to them, and how common their heroic legacy is amongst their people.

The initiation of Penitence is simple; your character did something horrible, something motivated by cowardice, and has turned to Kord in order to seek redemption for their past fears. Naturally, the questions ask what set you down this path, who helped you seek redemption through Kord, when you will accept you have redeemed yourself, and have you become obsessed.

Finally, there is Revelation, in which your character was originally indifferent to Kord, or even actively hostile to him... and then felt his favor at a key moment, and was so touched by it that they have been driven to recapture his favor... you know, I don't think I'm doing this justice, let me quote it:

'Revelation of Kord' said:
Kord was never a big part of your life. Like the other gods, he seemed just an idol to worship—a distant overlord to be begged for boons and who never seemed to fulfill those wishes. All the priests’ mantras about self-reliance and Kord giving strength to those who show strength seemed like self-fulfilling prophecies—hogwash believed by the gullible desperate to believe in something other than themselves.

Then you felt it. The thunder of Kord thrummed in your chest. His lightning flashed through your blood. With one heroic action, Kord was with you, and despite your past rancor, you felt his delight at your courage. Your faith, or lack of it, didn’t matter. Your weaknesses or cowardice in the past meant nothing. In that moment, he seemed to celebrate your bravery and strength, and then he passed on. You’ve sought to prove yourself worthy of his interest ever since.

What were you doing that attracted the favor of Kord? Do you try to spread his worship, or is your faith more about a personal connection? What do you do now to bring Kord’s favor back to you?
Serving Kord
This segment speaks for itself so well I don't think I can do it justice. Have another quote... yes, I'm doing that a lot, but what can I say? It's a quotable article.

'Serving the Lord of Battle and the Father of Storms' said:
Kord welcomes all the brave and strong among his faithful. Worshipers need not be called to him. They can serve themselves and honor Kord by being mighty and courageous, or they can squander their lives in weakness and ignominy; it matters not to Kord. Those who choose to devote themselves to Kord’s worship dedicate themselves to his ideals in a very personal way because he promotes self-improvement of an individual’s physical and psychological strength. If a worshiper wants Kord’s aid and interest, he or she should act as though that reward is not needed.
The segment ends by noting that your PC worships Kord, you should come up with a reason why they chose to follow a god that fosters such self-reliance. This then segues into the Kordite backgrounds of the article; Gladiator, Berserker, Natural, Sea Dog, Struck By Lightning and Tempest's Child.

The first two are obvious enough, but the latters might need some explanation. The Natural was simply always bigger and stronger, but they didn't originally have the will to use it - Kord's faith was where they found a reason to embrace their hulking prowess. The Sea Dog is a sailor who totally lacks fear in the storms, and whilst this alienates and intimidates other sailors, it impresses Kord to no end. The character who was Struck By Lightning was originally a coward and a weakling who favored hiding and smooth-talking to escape punishment; when a sudden lightning bolt from a clear sky struck them and they survived, it awakened new courage and compelled them to rise above their weakness. Finally, the Tempest's Child is basically a Kordite messiah; somebody born on the battlefield during an intense storm, both of which fell silent as they took their first breath.

Kordite Devotions
A sidebar in the article proper, this segment explains that it's normal for worshippers of Kord to show their devotion through acts of strength, athleticism, and courage. The following are three "refined" contests that have developed amongst Kordite worshippers:

Kord’s Roar: Participants line up at a start line, and when a horn is blown they run toward the face of a cliff or a specially prepared wall. On the way they leap over or struggle through pits, typically filled with water or mud. Racers then climb the cliff, and when they reach the top, they blow a huge horn as loudly as possible. The participant who finished fastest and who blew the loudest note wins. If the result of the two factors is judged to be a tie, a race back to the start line settles the matter.

Sky Climb: Devotees each climb a tree or a pole, or in more festive displays, a greased post. The one who climbs highest and leaps down from that height is judged to have the greatest strength and courage, often earning a prize such as an amphora or wine. In some areas, particularly those with a strong temple of Erathis, the height of the climbing surface is limited to prevent “overbold” participants from breaking limbs or dying in their displays of devotion.

Frost Fight: This contest takes place in winter or high mountains when ice forms thick over water. It is a reference to Kord’s legendary betrayal of his own mother Khala, once the terrible goddess of winter before she was slain. Each participant stands on the ice and takes a turn punching the frozen space under an opponent. The opponent then returns the favor. The one who breaks the ice under the opponent wins. Both end up in the freezing water, and by custom the participants help one another out. In many places ropes are tied to participants and bonfires burn on the shore to warm them, but in more savage societies, enduring the cold is the true test of Kord’s favor.

Closing Thoughts:
Kord's Fury is a forgettable article, serving as a basic reminder of the Kord lore from the DMG and a bunch of new powers for Divine PCs.

Champions of Kord is a whole other kettle of fish. This really fleshes out Kord's worship in general, and I think it manages to be pretty flavorful for how brief it actually is in the issue. I don't know what Kord was like in Greyhawk, but this version is a kind of a weird mix of a less aloof Crom and Thor, and it's a surprisingly endearing faith. I really rate this article high, and I hope CaliberX finds it useful.

With the Channel Divinity: Windswept Lord already fleshed out in another thread, that takes Kord off of my list. Who shall we cover next, folks?

CaliberX

Validated User
It does, those are awesome details! I'm totally going to drop mention of some of those contests at the table soon. The Sky Climb in particular is perfect, as my character has developed a penchant for sometimes ill advised climbing.

Any of the Court of Stars or Amon the Wolf would be interesting next. The Implord would also be a novel face.

VoidDrifter

Validated User
Court of Stars: The Trinket Lord
Opening Thoughts:
Short at only 6 pages long - which I think makes it the shortest Court of Stars article of them all, this article excited me the moment I saw it, and I was eager to study it. The article's quite interesting, because it moves away from the "elf plus" forms of Archfey who make the bulk of the Archfey covered in this particular series; instead, this is our first and only gnomish archfey; Tuxil the Trinket Lord.

The tone, I feel, is set very well by this initial opening, which to me could come right out of a fairytale:

Where do lost things go?

Some say that such items vanish to a special place reserved for misplaced objects. Others insist that nothing is ever lost, only stolen. And still others believe they know exactly where lost things go, for they were once lost themselves.

The stories told by the formerly lost are as varied as the people themselves. Perhaps one explorer was trapped in the icy mountains, snow pelting her face with every step and blocking out the sun. Maybe a second trekked through an empty desert, endlessly charting a course to nowhere across a sand sea. A third might have wandered aimlessly through a dark forest. Wherever these lost individuals were, one thing was clear: They had no direction and no hope.

Although the tales of the lost unfold differently, all of them end the same way. At some point, a small brown fox appeared in the path of the wanderer. Each person chose to follow the fox as it bounded away out of the mountains, toward a small oasis, or to a place where the trees weren’t so thick. Eventually, the traveler stood before a small ring of trees, and the fox leaped through the branches ahead. Pushing through the foliage, each wanderer encountered the same thing: a great heap of possessions—weapons, armor, statues, paintings, wagons, baubles, and much more. Atop the heap sat a gnome with reddish hair, examining a plaything he had plucked from the pile. He sat for a moment before smiling broadly and acknowledging the new arrival.

“What would you lose,” he asked, “in order that what is lost become found?”

Ascent of an Archfey:
Tuxil's history is fragmentary, but the basic gist of it has been pieces together. Whilst no tales agree on if he was born into slavery or if he spent his youth reared by the creatures of the woods only to then be captured and dragged into the Feydark, all agree that the defining nature of Tuxil's youth were the unpleasant years he spent as a fomorian slave, during which he never knew where he was supposed to go or who he was supposed to be.

The identity of which fomorian kingdom held the future archfey in bondage is, likewise, unknown, although most gnomes believe it was Inbharann; the kingdom with the river of liquid of gold flowing through its center, the wealthiest of all the fomorian strongholds. The dichotomy between the wealth of the fomorian nobles who ruled and the poverty in which he lived, owning nothing but a mean little hovel, further left its marks upon Tuxil's mind.

Eventually, the gnome escaped as part of a mass break out amongst Inbharann's gnomish slaves. Whereas his fellows happily settled in places of their choosing upon the surface, Tuxil couldn't do that; no place seemed quite right. He roamed for ages, until finally he stumbled across something; a mystical grove, hidden deep in the enchanted wilderness of the Feywild, filled with treasures both magical and mundane. This place, somehow, was a beacon for all things that were lost or abandoned - and yet, the sight of this heaping mound of treasure awoke something within Tuxil. He realized that he enjoyed being lost - just like these treasures - and also that as these items were waiting for someone to claim them, that meant he had the right to do so.

Over long years, Tuxil shaped the ever-swelling pile of trinkets into a grand palace of his own design. he learned the arts of magic and thievery from studying various trinkets, and found others still that enhanced his skills. He became driven by the desire to seek out and collect anything that he wanted - which came to be defined as relics of legend. In a feedback loop, the more relics he collected, the mightier he grew, and the more he wanted to collect.

Thus did a humble gnome slave become the archfey now known as the Trinket Lord.

The Hovel of Hansels:
Tuxil is relatively friendly, as archfey go; he loves to welcome travelers to his dominion, called "The Hovel of Hansels" - in no small part because he relishes the chance to trade, and he's quite generous when the prospect of acquiring new objects is on the line. For this reason, discovering the Hovel of Hansels is considered a sign of good fortune.

His skills have made Tuxil patron to quite a diverse array of fey or crossing-born characters. Thieves and treasure hunters pay tribute to him in hopes of earning his favor as they plunder ancient tombs and lost hordes. Skalds compose epic ballards of his generosity, and illusionists revere him for his skill at trickery and mischief. "Going to meet the Trinket Lord" is a common expression amongst the Fey or those who regularly travel to the Feywild, understood as indicating that the speaker plans to become wealthy.

Tuxil revels in all such tributes, and chooses individuals who demonstrate great potential to become his servants. To some people, he is merely a patron, one who rewards success and punishes failure. To others, he is a teacher, passing down parts of his arcane knowledge and item lore. To a lucky few, he is both.

The Hovel of Hansels earns its name fairly; it's an absolute mess! Statues, fabric, weapons, chamber pots, wagons, pottery, armor, cooking gear, alchemical items, books, artwork, rations, and other objects are everywhere, piled atop one another, reaching to the ceiling. Some have conjectured that lich phylacteries and forgotten rituals lie hidden among the heaps. Most items in the hovel are objects that have been separated from their owners—some of them misplaced, and others cast away on purpose. New ones appear every day. Adding to the confusion, the layout shifts constantly, as Tuxil rearranges new piles of trinkets or old ones collapse under their own weight - the only hard rule is that the entire structure has never collapsed as a result of this shifting and sliding.

One of Tuxil's lesser powers as an archfey is that he can move freely through the clutter, and always knows exactly where any given item is at any given moment. Visitors are not so lucky, and must take care not to be injured when they move or search through the debris.

Tuxil is well-known amongst the archfey, and many visit regularly, seeking to trade knowledge, rumors and treasures with him.

Unfortuantely, more than a few thieves have tried to steal from Tuxil, either at the behest of the more disrespectful archfey or for their own greed. Whilst the chaos and clutter is its own defense against these thieves, a more potent defense is Tuxil's curse. Any who steal from Tuxil will find their magical possession steadily losing their powers. Whilst some denizens of the Feywild, including certain powerful hags, are capable of breaking this curse, they will always demand a price - returning the stolen item, which instantly breaks the curse, is usually the simplest way to fix things and often the best.

Trading with the Trinket Lord:
Tuxil is always after new items and eagerly trades with adventurers, but he is no fool. He becomes aggravated with those who make bad offers or seem to insult his knowledge of valuables. As a rule, the gnome will trade for items of equal or greater rarity. Although he has no problem trading an uncommon item for a visitor’s rare item, he will never trade an uncommon item for a common one.

The most likely way for adventurers to meet the Trinket Lord is as a patron. Over the years, Tuxil has granted portions of his power to numerous fey pact warlocks in the hope that they will bring him new treasures from across the planes. These individuals are often gifted with the fey gift "Scent of Gold", which allows them to magically track down valuables; useful to fulfilling their side of the bargain and appropriate for a servitor of this avid treasure-hunter.

The Trinket Lord is not above other forms of bartering than simple item-swapping. For example, he might send a group of adventurers to another plane to retrieve an item that he cannot claim himself. The adventurers must negotiate their reward before they leave the hovel, because once the group departs, Tuxil considers the deal to be final (such are the ways of the fey).

Alternatively, the Trinket Lord will trade items for information. Various treasure hunters have sought him out to learn rumors about the last known locations of certain valuables. Just because Tuxil does not possess an item does not mean that he has no knowledge of it.

The gnome is known to be unhappy with some of the trades he has made in the past, and sometimes he hires a group to steal an item back from its current owner. When they return it to the hovel, Tuxil might offer to trade it to them—hoping to strike a better bargain this time.

Tuxil's Friends and Foes:
The Trinket Lord may prefer to live alone in his Hovel of Hansels, but he has built up an extensive array of servants, allies and, especially, enemies over the years.

Beasts: Perhaps due to his ability to shift into the shape of a fox, Tuxil has a particular knack for communicating with the wandering animals and magical beasts of the Feywild, and a wide variety of creatures, including monsters like displacer beasts and owlbears, watch over Tuxil's hovel. Unfortunately, various Feywild horrors also haunt the fringes of the Hovel, seeking to prey on the traders who come here - feygrove chokers are a particular nuisance, and Tuxil often hires adventurers to cull their numbers for him.

Golems: The most common servitors of Tuxil to be seen inside the Hovel are assorted golems, made up of various broken items and junk that has somehow wound up in Tuxil's demesne. They normally serve as maintenance and brute labor, but will immediately leap to his defense if need be. A sidebar gives the DM advice on customizing golems to better mesh with their "trashborn" aesthetic, notes that Tuxil's servants include reskinned city golems from the Gloomwrought splatbook and Scroll Mummies (known as "Grisgols" in 3e) from "Threats of the Nentir Vale", and adds that Tuxil's golems never include "biological" types such as flesh or bone.

The Gloaming Fey: Whilst Tuxil is too independent to claim official membership in a faction of the Court of Stars, it is amongst the fey of dreams, mysteries and wonder that he feels most at home - members of this faction are frequent visitors. A Gloaming archfey known as the Witch of Fates has requested that Tuxil deliver unto her the Bloodbond Cauldron; he doesn't have it, but believes it belongs to a Shadowfell-dwelling covey of hags called the Misteye Coven, located deep within the Oblivion Bog.

The Gnome Council: The unofficially official supreme leaders of all gnomes have petitioned for Tuxil to join their ranks many times, but the gnomish archfey has rejected them every time - he does stay on good terms with his kin, but he wouldn't be one of their leaders if you paid him. Lord Karl Stoneshine, the current head of the Council, is in a particular dilemma; he wants Tuxil on the Council, believing that the gnomish archfey's presence will bring added safety, security, and respect from the eladrin, but at the same time, a number of council members believe Tuxil to be a threat. He's worried that the Unseelie might be trying to strengthen this divide or egg on the hostile gnomes.

The Sea Lords: After the Gloaming Fey, the aquatic fairies of the Court of Coral are the fey who most frequently trade with Tuxil, and he considers them good friends. He wants to recruit adventurers to help him track down the three last teeth missing from the Leviathan's Maw, an incomplete artifact that the Sea Lords Elias and Siobhan wish to complete - he knows where all three lie, but he can't retrieve them himself.

The Fomorian Kingdoms: The single greatest enemy that Tuxil has are, of course, the fomorian lords. He's too scarred by the things he saw and experienced during his own youth as a slave to ever go into the Feydark again, but he eagerly supports the Court of Stars or adventurers in striking against them. Those who ask Tuxil for help against the fomorians are allowed to choose certain items from the hovel to take with them into the depths. The Trinket Lord requires nothing in trade when he gives out trinkets for such missions, but the adventurers must bring him proof of their success against the fomorians, or they will suffer his curse. Before the heroes leave the hovel, they must agree to a pact that details how much time they have to complete their mission before the curse takes effect. In return, the fomorians covet his wealth, and have sent drow raiders, cyclops warriors, and quickling assassins to try and take the Hovel of Hansels from him. Tuxil has triumphed over these threats so far, but they have begun to increase in number and strength. He would be most grateful to anyone who can get the message through to the fomorians not to trifle with him...

Closing Thoughts:
This article may be short, but it's very sweet. With two unique trinkets, a neat little table of items magical and mundane that he could trade for, plenty of plot hooks and a sub-section dedicated exclusively to advising the DM how to use Tuxil in a campaign, this article is bursting with flavor and easy to use. I'd highly recommend this.

And don't worry if your players decide to try and wrest Tuxil's treasures from him by force. Between his status as a level 22 Elite Lurker with access to any combination of magic bracers, a magic helm, 5 magic wands and 2 magic rings that you want, and his golem and fey-beast protectors, your party will quickly learn that diplomacy is the better method.

ru

temporary avatar
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's refreshing to meet an NPC who will trade with the PCs and isn't just out to screw them over :)

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Bumping this; are there any requests for which article I should cover next?
I'd like to see the Raven Queen article - I played 4e but didn't read a whole lot of the fluff content and I've always heard what a great element she was.

Top Bottom