• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Let's Read] 5E Player's Handbook

SuperG

Validated User
On the Ability Score adjustments: Being tied to class levels rather than character level makes a difference for multiclass characters (specifically, it discourages dipping a little bit more by delaying a stat bump).

Theodoric

Validated User
I also like the image they used; that shield looks a bit like a southern African shield, but on-the-whole it's obviously a fantasy character that uses different elements from different locations and periods. It's both inclusive and original, while still being immediately recognisable for what it is.

I'm assuming riding stuff is covered by Animal Handling?
Riding doesn't actually require skill-checks in 5e, last I checked. Driving a cart is a tool proficiency, but only for things like stunts. Animal handling is mostly used for Crocodile-Huntering animals into submission.

(I mean, besides them getting rid of the concept of encounter and daily powers, and making me type 'recharges on a short/long/short or long rest' every time.)
There's not a lot of material difference and I do like the natural language approach overal (as a legal professional I have to dissect enough jargon), but I'll agree that 4E's approach was a lot neater.

Buuut, it reads "This is Photoshop's version of Lorem Ipsum Proin Grfwida nibh wel welit auktor alinuet aenean sollikitudin lorem nuis bibendum auktor hsi elit konsenuat ipsum nek sagittis"
It really distracts from what is a pretty neat illustration.

The maneuvers themselves are pretty repetitive, and given that you eventually get half the list - eesh. It really, really suffers in comparison to the 4E Fighter, where most of this stuff isn't even at the level of an at-will, either in giving you fun toys, or new capabilities.
It's mostly a damage rider with some bonus effects. That's about the level of 5e's special abilities outside of spells. 5e's approach in general is to get out of the fixed power mindset and let players and GMs figure out and adjucate wacky maneuvers themselves. I personally prefer this flexibility and openness to 4e's very closed mechanic, but to each his own.

Last edited:

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I went through my stages of grief about this a long time ago. What I’ve arrived at is that, by all appearances, this seems to be what the people want.
My feeling kind of is that if this is what's in the PHB maybe I don't need to care so much about the fact that there doesn't seem to be a PDF option because I'd rather use Basic or Esper Genesis anyway.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
From what I have been told in the fourth tier the 5e Fighter's damage output can take down the bad guys while the 5e wizard is stuck mostly handling minions and being a 4e type controller.

Crimson Carcharodon

Formerly 'CrimsonCarcharodon'
Validated User
From what I have been told in the fourth tier the 5e Fighter's damage output can take down the bad guys while the 5e wizard is stuck mostly handling minions and being a 4e type controller.
I can say that dealing damage is a pretty solid part of being a fighter. In a PbP game just this morning, my 7th level eldritch knight just used action surge and dealt 50 damage in a single round. Granted, that was with good damage rolls, a greataxe (I love that d12), and a low-AC monster, but still. I'm having as much fun playing a fighter in 5E as I did back in 4E.

Stormraven

Mystical Atheist
Validated User
Yeah - I play in a game where we have a fighter with two weapon proficiency. Once they get to Extra Attack, and count in Action Surge, that particular fighter has a decent chance of hitting an enemy a lot. You're more limited in damage with Two Weapon Proficiency, but it's still quite impressive.

Crimson Carcharodon

Formerly 'CrimsonCarcharodon'
Validated User
Yeah - I play in a game where we have a fighter with two weapon proficiency. Once they get to Extra Attack, and count in Action Surge, that particular fighter has a decent chance of hitting an enemy a lot. You're more limited in damage with Two Weapon Proficiency, but it's still quite impressive.
I think the main benefit of two-weapon proficiency is that you can spread the damage around some. Handy for when you're facing lots of low level monsters like goblins or kobolds. Or even orcs and hobgoblins, to some extent.

Top Bottom