[Let's Read] AC9: Creature Catalogue

The Fiendish Dr. Samsara

The elegant assassin
Validated User
A dusanu looks like a mold-encrusted skeleton in a tattered cloak; I presume the tattered cloak is standard issue, and is given to all dusanu.
At 9 HD, dusanu are a nasty trick to throw at players expecting simple 1-HD skeletons, and with an Int of 10 they're more than capable of laying ambushes and setting traps. They have a built-in reason to go after PCs, since that's how they propagate. All in all, I like 'em.
So kids, remember to check if the skeletal thing trying to tear off your face is cloaked or uncloaked!

quozl

Validated User
Yes, I really hate names like this. You either have to exagerate the pronunciation and sound ridiculous, or you just say 'dragon.' It fails as a name!
I wonder if giving monsters different names but the same pronounciation wasn't done on purpose as a kind of feature. The villagers say they were attacked by a dragon! Or was it a dragonne?

Erik Sieurin

Translemurist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wonder if giving monsters different names but the same pronounciation wasn't done on purpose as a kind of feature. The villagers say they were attacked by a dragon! Or was it a dragonne?
And really, it was a wyvern. Or a chimera. Who can tell these things apart anyway?

NobodyImportant

Validated User
Oh. My. God. I just figured it out.

The reason every variation on a name becomes a new monster is because a new regional name for a monster summons a monster with that name into existence! That’s why all species have a single, set language handed down to them from the Gods - linguistic drift could have fatal consequences.

Talisman

The Man of Talis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fungoid

Those full, pouty lips belong to the fungoid, an ogre-sized humanoid fungus creature described as having "vaguely human facial features." It's also soft and flabby, sort of like the Pillsbury Doughboy gone horribly wrong. Fungoids are said to grow near the sites of unavenged murders, or great battles, and are associated with mushroom rings.

A fungoid has 10** HD and AC 8. It attacks with two flabby fists; the fungoid is immensely strong, but "its fungus flesh gives easily," so damage is only 2-20. Anyone punched by a fungoid must make a Save vs Dragon Breath or be knocked off their feet; a prone character must take one round to regain their footing. Fungoids are slow, with a move of 60' (20'); they always lose initiative. They're also pretty dumb, with an Intelligence of 1, Morale of 12, and Neutral alignment. They save as Dwarf: 10, which is better than the typical fighter saves, and come in packs of 1-3 below ground or 1-2 above ground.

As near-mindless fungus things, fungoids are immune to mind-affecting spells; however, we're informed that it's not a plant either, and is therefore immune to plant control and the like. Which this is technically true - fungi are not especially closely related to plants - most RPGs treat them as weird plants, so this is kind of unusual. Fungoids take double damage from fire, and cold does no damage but stuns the fungoid for 1-6 rounds.

I'm not sure what to make of the fungoid. It fills no immediately obvious role; as written, it has no particular reason to interact with PCs. It's mindless and can't be controlled, so it makes a lousy minion. It's a big blob of fungus, so it has no obvious needs. I guess the assumption is that "it's a monster" is all the justification PCs need? I'd be interested to know where the fungoid came from, and what GMs are expected to do with it.

JoeNotCharles

Validated User
They're from - huh, AC8 - Bestiary of Dragons and Giants. Huh, that's unexpected.

I understand it was basically a set of "ecology of" articles plus sample encounters/scenarios. So, a new kind of "giant" ?

Dagor

Validated User
I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that at least part of the fungoid's purpose could have been to just serve as yet another "gotcha!" monster, especially underground. "The tunnel opens into a cavern, and although your lantern light only reaches so far, you can dimly make out a couple of slowly moving ogre-sized figures..."

(ETA: Heck, that's exactly how the blast spore functions, and that's also a fungus. One could make a taxonomic theme out of that.)

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that at least part of the fungoid's purpose could have been to just serve as yet another "gotcha!" monster, especially underground. "The tunnel opens into a cavern, and although your lantern light only reaches so far, you can dimly make out a couple of slowly moving ogre-sized figures..."

(ETA: Heck, that's exactly how the blast spore functions, and that's also a fungus. One could make a taxonomic theme out of that.)
The twist is, spores are weaker than their subject and presumably use imitation defensively. But fungoids are much stronger than regular ogres! What ecological niche does that imply? Why, the fungoid must prey upon things that eat ogres.

Which is pretty embarrassing for the ogres, who are usually all about eating other people.

Top Bottom