• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

💯 {Staff Pick} [Let's Read] AD&D 1e Fiend Folio

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Welcome to my Let's Read of the Fiend Folio!

The Fiend Folio was basically AD&D's second Monster Manual and for the most part a collection of creatures from the Fiend Factory column from White Dwarf magazine - many of which were created by British roleplayers. The book also includes previously unpublished monsters that didn't make it into the column as well as some other monsters, like the dark elf and the kuo-toa.

The book has some wacky monsters, but also contains some creature that are now iconic D&D monsters (and moved from Games Workshop to TSR when the Folio was compiled). The illustrations have a consistent style and are pretty good for their period. Some aren't great, but overall, D&D had worse illustrations. MUCH worse illustration.

spudeus

Killa Kouch Potato
Validated User
I just want to say - yay! The Folio is one of my all-time favorites and I still have my original copy on the shelf. Agree that the illustrations are pretty good (the full-page Grell attack is a classic); it's just that many of the concepts are odd, off-beat, and/or with no context for use.

Last edited:

Crinos

Be inspired!
Validated User
Alright and we're back.

I love that Githyanki on the cover btw. The way they've got those little arm bumbs oozing out makes it look like they're melting.

spudeus

Killa Kouch Potato
Validated User
I love that Githyanki on the cover btw. The way they've got those little arm bumbs oozing out makes it look like they're melting.
Those elbows are pretty bizarre, but yeah, the combination of undead face, elven ears, big hair, and gaudy jewelry is still interesting and effective after all these years. Even the blue background kinda rocks!

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
I always assumed the Githyanki were emaciated from the zero-g of the astral plane. Long term exposure leads to massive weight loss leads to flaps of skin and collapse of the nose. That's why they wear bandages and wraps and then cover them with baroque jewelry and armor -- they're trying to cover and distract from their degeneration. And body modification also seems like an obvious way to compensate -- the filed teeth and shaped ears aren't natural.

Last edited:

Elvis Waxman

Inhuman Morokanth
Validated User
I so wish I hadn't lost my copy (packed off to a family we knew where the daughter was getting into RPGs, probably after pressure from my parents who didn't like me 'still' being into Dungeons and Dragons. I later saw my collection advertised on a card in the local Tescos. Sob). Yes there were weird and silly monsters in there, but it had a unique charm, some very good art (I'm particularly remembering the Russ Nicholson material), and is noteworthy for featuring the creations of the young Charles Stross.

Top Bottom