• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. II

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I am not a fan of undead, so this does little for me, but I do wish there were more creatures (or templates) that represent failures in attempts to garner power, to transform into something greater.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
That sounds like a pretty neat idea. I actually like templates, but it seems too many (I'm looking at you, D20) were highly specific, could not be used for many monsters, granted only +1 STR and +2 HD or were connected to some in-game lore and only useful for one place in one setting.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
That sounds like a pretty neat idea. I actually like templates, but it seems too many (I'm looking at you, D20) were highly specific, could not be used for many monsters, granted only +1 STR and +2 HD or were connected to some in-game lore and only useful for one place in one setting.
You really should get your hands on Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin, The Deluxe Book of Templates (both 3.0 and 3.5 versions) from Silverthorne (Silverthorne and Goodman for 3.5) and Bodies and Souls from Secondworld Simulations. So many generic, wonderful templates.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
You really should get your hands on Advanced Bestiary from Green Ronin, The Deluxe Book of Templates (both 3.0 and 3.5 versions) from Silverthorne (Silverthorne and Goodman for 3.5) and Bodies and Souls from Secondworld Simulations. So many generic, wonderful templates.
Funny enough, I own two of those.

Mr. Teapot

Validated User
Also, I thought the amiq rasol turned away from the gods?
Well, your decision to spurn all the gods turned you into a hideous shambling mockery of all that is holy. That's the sort of thing that makes you reassess your lifestyle choices, you know? Maybe dial back your vow of undying hatred for all that is holy and give a god a chance? You know, and not be cursed for all eternity to be an undead monster?

Also, it sounds to me like 'demi-shade' is a big demotion from 'arch-shadow'. Not statswise. Just in terminology: one says "lord of all darkness" but he's really trying to be promoted to "assistant manager or a minor type of undead". Clearly, the names need reversed or something. Actually, do either one have anything to do with shades or shadows? These guys are corporal undead, more like liches and mummies than shadows. They should be called something else (and preferably more creative.)

Khyron

Pope Orion Orangutan Omnibenevolence Kosmos, Yes
Validated User
Also, it sounds to me like 'demi-shade' is a big demotion from 'arch-shadow'. Not statswise. Just in terminology: one says "lord of all darkness" but he's really trying to be promoted to "assistant manager or a minor type of undead". Clearly, the names need reversed or something.
Well Demi-liches are more powerful than Liches, having been Liches so long that they decayed into just a skull, maybe a couple other bones, and a lot of dust. These are probably extrapolations/extensions of this naming trend.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Actually, do either one have anything to do with shades or shadows? These guys are corporal undead, more like liches and mummies than shadows. They should be called something else (and preferably more creative.)
No, not really. In 2e, the shadow drains STR, not levels like the wraith. The shade isn't even and undead, it's a illusionist/shadow manipulator dude from Greyhawk. And while Khyron is correct about the demi-lich, it does sound like the arch-shadow's mentally backwarded brother.

Who's making up those names in-game, anyway? Space sages?

Khyron

Pope Orion Orangutan Omnibenevolence Kosmos, Yes
Validated User
Who's making up those names in-game, anyway? Space sages?
University of Arcanum Department of Monster Taxonomy, a sub-department of the Department of Questionable Activities.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well Demi-liches are more powerful than Liches, having been Liches so long that they decayed into just a skull, maybe a couple other bones, and a lot of dust. These are probably extrapolations/extensions of this naming trend.
"Demi-" means "half", which makes sense for a demi-lich -- all that's left is their skull. (Actually, that's less than half a lich left, but eh.)

"Arch-" means "chief, highest", so going from "highest" to "half" shadow is quite odd. And, after all, they're all former wizards (or clerics), so one presumes they had a modicum of literacy to know better about naming themselves.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Scaladar

The scaladar, listed under "Automaton, Scaladar", is a big scary scorpion guardian robot. It has been created by a wizard named Trobriand. I'm entirely sure who that is, but he has made a bunch of other animal-based robots as well.

The scaladar is immune to lighting (and Magic Missile). The points of damage can later be released by the scorpion tail. As a robot-like monster, the scaladar can't be charmed and has a number of spell immunities. The rest of the paragraph mentions that the scaladar may be a modified copper clockwork horror.

To control one, a Ring of Trobriand is needed. Just have a common ring isn't enough, though, as Trobriand himself has the Master Ring, which is kind of like the admin account of rings.

There is an advanced version of the scaladar, the squch. It's sentient, super-smart and Neutral Evil. The squch (how is that supposed to be pronounced?) can also taker over other automatons. Squch works hard on finding a way to break the effect of the Master Ring.

Bottom line: Purely judged on stats, the scaladar isn't that interesting. I like the illustration and background information, though. However, it feels this was part of a setting or Dragon article and feels a bit out of context here.

Top Bottom