• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. II

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
These are from A1 or A2 and used as a form of attack dog meant to supplement the guards' defenses.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I dunno... late 3.x games can have tons of dragon-like PCs in them, as can 4e with its dragonborn. At about a foot long, size Tiny, it could make a swarm pretty easily.
That's probably why they didn't got wings. However, they are a rather specific Dark Sun threat, so they probably don't correspond well with other settings. Thinking about it, let's unleash them on Council of Dragons!

Bi-nou? Is that a deliberate pun of some kind?
Not sure... it doesn't sound like anything pun-ish to me, but then again, English is not my first language.

How do you pronounce it? Imagine that your PC has just been stepped on by a giant robot scorpion. That's what "squch" sounds like. ;)
:D

Little known fact. Trobriand also made amps for Spinal Tap.
:confused:

These are from A1 or A2 and used as a form of attack dog meant to supplement the guards' defenses.
Fair enough, that's probably their bets use - in additional to trying to tame one.

Sleeper

Red-eyed dust bunny
Validated User
Not sure... it doesn't sound like anything pun-ish to me, but then again, English is not my first language.
"What do I see?"
"Bi-nou."
"The adventure's over? I just got here!"

One of the obvious pronunciations is "bye, now". As a homophone, it could cause confusion and makes it hard to take the monster seriously. But if it's supposed to be a pun, I don't get it. Wonder if it's some kind of in-joke?

And boggles always struck me as a little Gollum-like. The original A2 version was slick and oily, but I don't think it was explicitly stretchable, at least not to the same degree. The slavers kept them on leashes like rubbery humanoid hounds because they wailed when they spotted invisible intruders.

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Validated User
The boggles in the 1e Fiend Folio looked very much like the Rankin-Bass depiction of Gollum.

I love boggles, and have used them in a bunch of games. My boggles:
1. Get their name, like Gollum, from their croaking, guttural cries.
2. Dimension door by grabbing their upper and lower jaws and briefly, horrifyingly, turning themselves inside out before disappearing with a wet pop.

junglefowl26

Validated User
I always preferred this look for the Boggle:

Thinking about it, let's unleash them on Council of Dragons!
That actually sounds like a great idea. A swarm of horrible beetles has been swarming the dragon's lands, and the pcs need to investigate where they came from and how to stop them.

It also gives the kindred an important role: they can safely enter areas with too many beetles for the dragons to handle.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Dobie

Next is the dobie, a brownie subrace. The dobie is Neutral Good and looks like a cliché Midwestern farmer on a 1950s advertisement. In fact, the entry outright calls it a "country bumpkin".

Dobies are generally not aggressive, but will defend their property if necessary. They can cast some illusionist-style spells. Dobies live in rural areas, usually on the farm of a humanoid. Oh, and they are vegetarians.

They are a bit like Heinzelmännchen, as they don't just take crops, but repay the owner by helping on the farm or in the household. Some become house dobies living inside. Dobies will also defend their adoptive family against thieves. That's more realistic than it sounds; a small group of dobies can easily kill a commoner.

Bottom line: Not the best monster for a random encounter, obviously, but nevertheless a nice monster to spice up the next farm our PCs stumble upon.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I wonder if they are hybrids of brownies and killmoulis? The latter are fey found in the 1e Fiend Folio. They work in mills and eat large amounts of grain as their payment.

Khyron

Pope Orion Orangutan Omnibenevolence Kosmos, Yes
Validated User
The boggles in the 1e Fiend Folio looked very much like the Rankin-Bass depiction of Gollum.
Minor nitpick: I believe the "official hardcover" that reprints boggles for 1e was Monster Manual 2.

Now that you mention it, I can see the Gollum resemblance.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Quickling

Here is the second brownie subrace, the quickling. I'm a bit surprised it is buried here as Greyhawk monster. I expected it to be a bit more iconic. Also, it look like an Anime Night Elf Vampire Jester and about two dozen more thing throw in. Then again, it looks less Chaotic Evil than on later illustrations.

But I digress. The quickling may have been good at one point, but now they are Chaotic EVIL and use dark magic. As the name suggests, quicklings are fast. However, I did not remember them as having speed 96. Holy cow, that's fast. The second-fasted monster (apart from teleporting ones) I can remember from the top of my head are flying dragons (the Dragonlance astral dragon has flying speed 48).

That's a bit too fast, to be honest. Yes, the quickling has AC -3, but it also has 100% invisibility if not moving and 90% invisibility if moving, so I'm not sure how any halfway normal being (I count the PC here) should be able to ever hit them.

Quicklings age fast and die young (age 15 at the very latest) and are thoroughly corrupted. They are hostile to any other humanoid being, but not necessarily aggressive.

Bottom line: I like the evil fey idea, but slow down the quickling a bit.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
I wonder if they are hybrids of brownies and killmoulis? The latter are fey found in the 1e Fiend Folio. They work in mills and eat large amounts of grain as their payment.
It's not mentioned, but it sounds plausible. After all, why should humans be the only ones being able to crossbreed with everything.

Now that you mention it, I can see the Gollum resemblance.
Fair enough. After all, we still have halflings in D&D, although they are just short peaceful humans.

Top Bottom