• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Let's Read] AD&D 2e Monstrous Compendium Appendix Vol. I

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
The biggest problem I have with Yuan-Ti is that they're Product Identity.
Yeah, which means no Pathfinder Yuan Ti, which sucks. I mean we got the serpent folk, but its not the same. Ah well.

Spatula

More Ideas Than Time
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Anyway, yuan-ti are awesome, especially because they are more than the usual animal-based humanoid. They are corrupted (Lovecraftian?) humans that come in three flavours: Purebloods, halfbreeds and abominations.
If they were Lovecraftian, there would be fish/squid/aquatic parts in there somewhere. They do feel very pulpy, though.

Imagine a snake walking on two legs. That's just wrong.

Crinos

Validated User
Well, there were Snake Men in the Cthulhu Mythos.

This seems to borrow ideas from the Robert E Howard and Lovecraft. Like The Lovecraftian Deep ones we have a race of people who, through worshiping an evil malignant force and fouling their bloodlines, have become something less than human, bearing physical deformities ranging from snake like eyes and teeth, to just being huge ass talking snakes.

However, they are taken out of the stormy New England town of Innsmouth and put into a more Robert E Howard style fantasy setting, haunting ancient cities where they make bloody sacrifices atop altars and scheme to turn captive mortals into their new half snake brethren.

I think that's really what makes the Yuan Ti work: They're the best of both world.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Yeah, which means no Pathfinder Yuan Ti, which sucks. I mean we got the serpent folk, but its not the same. Ah well.
?? They are more acurate to Howard's stories. That is a plus in my book.

Labyrinth of Madness had yuan-ti that weren't part of the overall population. They were a different corruption of humans. If that is possible, who knows how many serpent demons are out there making yuan-ti from their worshippers.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Zombie

Lastly, the zombie. Interestingly, we don't get the usual rotting human corpse, but a zombified bugbear. I still don't like the illustration, though. Also, for some reason the monstrous zombie, a stronger version of the common zombie, isn't even mentioned once in the text.

In AD&D 2e, zombies are True Neutral, yet they are still damaged by holy water and that doesn't even seem to depend on whether or not they have been animated by an evil priest or wizard or not.

The ju-ju zombie has also been cramped into this entry. Unlike the other zombies, it is sentient and Neutral (Evil). Ju-ju zombies are created by fully energy draining someone. It has all kinds of additional immunities and resistances (fire, electricity, Magic Missile, mundane weapons), 3+12 hit dice (!) and a 92% climb chance. Also:

These foul creatures are made when a wizard drains the life force from a man-sized humanoid creature with an energy drarn spell.
In other words, a wizard can just energy drain a whole bunch of villagers and there's your fairly powerful zombie army.

Bottom line: The zombie, still one of my favourite undead and a good antagonist to be waltzed down without any moral dilemmas.

Arilou

Banned
In other words, a wizard can just energy drain a whole bunch of villagers and there's your fairly powerful zombie army.
IIRC, it's mentioned that they're not actually controlled by whoever created them though. (you need additional magic or Control Dead undead powers to make them obey you)

Crinos

Validated User
In any case, congrats on finishing volume 1. What's next on the Lets Read Agenda?

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Well, the following MCA haven't been covered yet:

MCA Volume II
Forgotten Realms I & II
Greyhawk
Outer Planes
Dark Sun II
Fiend Folio
Planescape I - III
Savage Coast
Birthright

I'm not interested too much in Outer Planes/Planescape. I'll definitely do MCA Vol. II at one point. Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Fiend Folio are all rather generic, though FF has some cool monsters. I'm not too much into Birthright. Savage Coast has some interesting monsters as well. I guess I will do Dark Sun II or Fiend Folio next. Maybe I should make another poll. :)

Top Bottom